It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2008, 08:54 AM   #1
(female)

Quirk HB User
Arrow Ear pain from sleeping??

so i've had this problem for a couple years... not sure when it started, maybe 5-6 years ago.

when i go to sleep, i'll sometimes wake up with a dabilitating pain in my left ear, and i'm usually lying on that ear. i'll literally have to pick my head up to move it, because it hurts all over from the inside, on the left. never the right... and i can't turn onto the right ear, because then the internal pain feels like it is "falling" toward the right side, from the left, as i lay that way. so i have to just lay straight on the back of my head.

i had my ears checked, and they found nothing wrong. someone suggested that it is back-related, which i might agree with now, because i found it happens almost everytime i don't sleep in my own bed.... but it still happens occasionally in my own bed.

i don't know what the heck this is!!!! it scares/frustrates me everytime it happens, and i have no idea how to prevent it.

has anyone else experienced anything similar to this??? i've never heard of anything like it. it only happens at night when i'm sleeping on the left side of my ear, but not consistently (unless i'm in another bed.) HELP!!!!!!!!

Old 11-08-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
(female)

claudia141 HB User
Re: Ear pain from sleeping??

I have experienced the same thing for about 5 years and always on the left side. Unlike you though I have not seen a doctor about it but done plenty of research. The only thing that makes sense but doesn't fit 100% is Eustachian Tube Dysfunction which I'm sure you already know about.
I am prone to sinus headaches usually affected by the barometric pressure and post nasal drip. I do the neti pot regularly to keep my allergies at bay.
Have you had any further diagnosis ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirk View Post
so i've had this problem for a couple years... not sure when it started, maybe 5-6 years ago.

when i go to sleep, i'll sometimes wake up with a dabilitating pain in my left ear, and i'm usually lying on that ear. i'll literally have to pick my head up to move it, because it hurts all over from the inside, on the left. never the right... and i can't turn onto the right ear, because then the internal pain feels like it is "falling" toward the right side, from the left, as i lay that way. so i have to just lay straight on the back of my head.

i had my ears checked, and they found nothing wrong. someone suggested that it is back-related, which i might agree with now, because i found it happens almost everytime i don't sleep in my own bed.... but it still happens occasionally in my own bed.

i don't know what the heck this is!!!! it scares/frustrates me everytime it happens, and i have no idea how to prevent it.

has anyone else experienced anything similar to this??? i've never heard of anything like it. it only happens at night when i'm sleeping on the left side of my ear, but not consistently (unless i'm in another bed.) HELP!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
(female)

ponygirl1975 HB User
Re: Ear pain from sleeping??

I have TMJ, a nightguard has help with my morning ear pain.

Closed Thread