It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2008, 08:53 AM   #1
(female)

meli911 HB User
Question About Cautery Turbinate Reduction & Exercise

I'm supposed to have this procedure today. Apparently, it is minor and done under a local anesthetic only. The general consensus seems to be no exercise for two weeks to follow, but I wonder what I would be risking by breaking that rule. I can't imagine not exercising for two whole weeks!

Any experiences???

Old 10-22-2008, 11:10 PM   #2
(female)

meli911 HB User
Re: Question About Cautery Turbinate Reduction & Exercise

Gee, thanks for all the numerous replies.

So I've had the procedure and I'm congested. My nose is also bleeding a little bit but I went to the gym and did an hour of intense cardio, which was quite a challenge in this condition but it didn't seem to aggravate it. I'm sure everyone's just dying to know that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2008, 12:23 AM   #3
(male)

lochdon76 HB User

Hi Meli
Just read your message! Firstly are you on the mend ? Can you explain cautery ? i know what the turbinate reduction is. Was it only turbinate reduction and not the septom as well? I would be very scared of the surgery aftermath and the blockage and swelling.
Very good you managed to exercise and hope you are doing well.
andy

Old 10-24-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
(female)

meli911 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochdon76 View Post
Hi Meli
Just read your message! Firstly are you on the mend ? Can you explain cautery ? i know what the turbinate reduction is. Was it only turbinate reduction and not the septom as well? I would be very scared of the surgery aftermath and the blockage and swelling.
Very good you managed to exercise and hope you are doing well.
andy
Thanks, Lochdon. I'm doing just fine, with some blockage during the day (still managed to exercise yesterday as well and there was no bleeding), but sleeing through the night is horrible 'cause that's when I absolutely can't breathe no matter what I do.

Hopefully, it will get progressively better from here on. Thanks for your reply.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:29 AM   #5
(male)

lochdon76 HB User

Meli
Was it just the turbinate reduction you had ? and not the septom straighten as well !
Maybe you have some advice for me re this operation.Since June this year i have had the same symptoms ie swollen tissue in causing blockage to one side of nostril then moves from side to side.No chemical cure so far sprays , droplets , steriod tablet have not made an inch of difference.My ENT, says mild rhinits, but does not seem very mild to me.When i say ENT i mean 5 different ENT and 12 appointments since June LOL. So you can see it has effected me mentally as well.Condition came from no where perfect health before. and like you love training and keep fit, so although if i look at it i can still train etc being blocked continualy gets to me.I am 42 , two kids , wife , working and want to get on but this hopefully.Speak soon .

Old 10-25-2008, 10:21 AM   #6
(female)

meli911 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochdon76 View Post
Meli
Was it just the turbinate reduction you had ? and not the septom straighten as well !
Maybe you have some advice for me re this operation.Since June this year i have had the same symptoms ie swollen tissue in causing blockage to one side of nostril then moves from side to side.No chemical cure so far sprays , droplets , steriod tablet have not made an inch of difference.My ENT, says mild rhinits, but does not seem very mild to me.When i say ENT i mean 5 different ENT and 12 appointments since June LOL. So you can see it has effected me mentally as well.Condition came from no where perfect health before. and like you love training and keep fit, so although if i look at it i can still train etc being blocked continualy gets to me.I am 42 , two kids , wife , working and want to get on but this hopefully.Speak soon .
Lochdon, sorry to hear about your problem. I know first hand how frustrating it is, especially if you like to work out! I've had this problem for years now and I guess you could say it's chronic, and maybe even hereditary as my mother has had a similar issue, only hers was purely due to various allergies... Anyway, since my septum deviation is very minor, the ENT decided it's best to first try the turbinate procedure (yes, it is turbinate reduction, and the reason they call it "cautery" is I guess because that's the name of the instrument used to burn the tissue). The procedure itself is not very difficult. They first sprayed my nostrils twice and put some gauze in, then laid me down and gave me more freezing via injections (one in each nostril). When I was nice and frozen, the doctor proceeded with the burning and it literally took about 5 min. I didn't feel anything except for an odd tickle and some pressure here and there. They gave me Polysporin to put in each nostril three times a day and said there shouldn't be any bleeding. Later on in the day, only my left nostril (which is my problematic one) started bleeding and continued through the evening. I also had some pain/pressure in the sinus area, but nothing major. It was more frustrating trying to sleep.

I'm not sure if this is the procedure you're having, but that's the only info I can provide since I haven't had septoplasty yet, and I hope it won't be necessary.

Good luck and take care!

Old 10-26-2008, 06:50 AM   #7
(male)

lochdon76 HB User

Meli
Thanks again for the email , I still do not know what I have to have ??
I had the deviated septom thing, from a car crash many years age , I have colapse of nostril thing if i breath sharpley in , but niether caused me any hassle before. It is the swelling of the tissue that has become the issue only since june this year ??
It really has me frightened , and i am 42 with two kids lol.
I did not realise you could have the reduction done separate from septom.Each ENT will have there own idea. I do not understand fully how this has came about but last 4 months have been worse time of my life. Ent say mild rhinitis and not wanting to rush with any procudure , but does not seem mild to me day day out . It is great you have taken time to reply really makes a difference , pity people had not replied to you !
take care over there in Canada.

Closed Thread