It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2008, 10:32 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

calidreaming HB User
first ENT appointment

Hi all, I have my first ENT appointment next week, I was wondering what to expect and what an ENT normally does during an exam?

Old 11-07-2008, 04:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: first ENT appointment

It depends on what you're seeing the doctor for, but typically he/she will take your medical history, then look in your ears, mouth and nose. If the doctor suspects sinus problems there is a chance that they'll do an endoscopic exam which involves looking inside your nose with a small tube that allows them to see up into your sinuses.

They may also recommend a CT scan of the sinuses/ears to allow them to look at the areas that they can't see.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
(female)

toulula HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by calidreaming View Post
Hi all, I have my first ENT appointment next week, I was wondering what to expect and what an ENT normally does during an exam?
hi i have a first exam with camera up my nose to look for polyps does it hurt worried

Old 12-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

It will feel weird, but shouldn't hurt at all. Most ENTs will numb the inside of your nose with an anesthetic spray, and you may feel a bit lightheaded after the endoscopic exam but pain is very rare.

The Following User Says Thank You to gcsjr For This Useful Post:
zoomer (06-26-2012)
Old 12-05-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
(male)

fac6 HB User

I have had about 5 endoscopic examinations over the past month and I can tell you its no dramas at all and I get very scared with these kind of tests.

My ENT has never used any spray, when he did the first one I would not let him do it as I was too scared. He eventually told me I had no choice, he talked me around and when he put it up my nose it felt a little weird and made my eyes water. BUT it was not painful at all.

When he was up past the nose he wanted to look down the back of my throat for tumors so pushed it further - At this point he told me to just breath in through the nose and swallow and it was so easy.

So after reading all this from someone who never even had any spray you can take it as gospel that it's no worry at all The only thing that makes it difficult is the psychological side of it beforehand.

Best of luck and lets us know how your experience went

Last edited by fac6; 12-05-2008 at 11:59 AM.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:54 AM   #6
(female)

toulula HB User

thanks a lot for telling me you have put me at ease ,i do not feel so scared now

The Following User Says Thank You to toulula For This Useful Post:
zoomer (06-26-2012)
Closed Thread