It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2008, 11:21 PM   #1
(female)

Angeleyes1437 HB User
Exclamation Going for Septoplasty, but dealing with a lot of problems in the meantime

I'm getting married next week. So I was hoping that some of you wonderful people could help answer some of my questions.

I'll give you a bit of background.

About 7 months ago I was diagnosed with dermagraphism, I've had it my whole life but always thought I had "sensitive skin". My immunologist said it's a result of an autoimmune disorder that causes my body to produce too much histamine. So I'm on Clarinex 5mg and have been doing great with that.

However, I also have a severely deviated septum that would cause me breathing discomfort and the occassional sinus infection. So my immunologist ssaid the look of it bothered him and referred me to an ENT with a subspeciality in Plastic Surgery/Facial Reconstruction. The day I went to him he confirmed that a septoplasty would benefit me significantly, but that it was completely elective. To put the camera into my sinuses he numbed me by putting a solution on cotton swabs and placing them very high up into my nasal passage. From that day I developed Sinusitis.... BAD. So much that my lungs have filled with fluids from my sinuses, the pressure in my head has caused vertigo, extreme pain/pressure, and a sore throat. My Immunologist suspects that because of my autoimmune disorder, my body is basically attacking my sinuses non-stop.

It got so bad that I had to rush to my GFP and he gave me a steroid shot and put me on a Methylpresdnisolone 6 day pack... and I felt AMAZING! I hadn't felt so good and clear in years!! However, my first day off of the steroids and it all happened again. So my immunologist put me on 20mg's of prednisone BID (2x per day) in the meantime and said that the septoplasty is no longer an option but more of a need... so I see him again Monday morning.

He's only given me 5 days worth, and I'm getting married next Saturday. Will I start to see any water retention prior to the wedding if he writes more for me on Monday? I'm really nervous about that- even though I know the most important thing is my health it's still my wedding!

I can't take a chance by weaning off before the wedding, so I'm going to have to get more. Can anyone give me any advice? About the procedure, if I should have it done, about the prednisone, etc???

My ENT scheduled surgery for December 4th, but if I'm not going to be on steroids until that date I honestly can't function. I wake up feeling like someone punched me in the face several times and is sitting on my chest. Even a full breath of air still has me feeling like I'm going to suffocate. Then the dizzy feeling and ears popping- OMG... I can't move my head.

I'm a pharmacuetical rep, so I'm driving all day... I feel like I should go on disability until I recover from the surgery because driving is downright dangerous for me and others in that condition... not to mention that I feel so horrible I can break out in tears at any moment- and that's SO not the type of person I am. It frustrates me that I can't even work out before my wedding because I'm generally so active dispite the cloudy feeling I've had for the past few years.

I'm just confused, and would really like any advice that you can offer.

Thank you so much for reading my post and I hope to hear from some of you soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread