It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
(female)

Kelly1213 HB User
bad breath after tonsilectomy

I just had a tonsilectomy on Friday the 7th. For those of you who had this proceedure, how long does the bad breath last?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
(female)

BRIAN2000 HB User
Re: bad breath after tonsilectomy

Hi Kelly

I so understand your problem. However, I had very persistent bad breath before I did the operation so I am not too freaked because I had it anyway.

But yeah I know what you mean.

I think it comes from 2 things:
not being able to brush the very back of the tongue where food particles collects. teeth can be brushed just fine though.

And the scabs. Now do not go poking the scabs they are meant to be there. Mine are starting to fall off but still there.

I think we are meant to have this bad breath for 10-14 days until the scabs fall off. When the scabs go completely then your breath should be normal again.

I am just hoping my breath does not return to what it was like pre op because it was terrible before. Here's to hoping the op will make my breath better.

Btw. my op was Nov 2. So hang in there.

Brian

Last edited by BRIAN2000; 11-10-2008 at 12:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2008, 08:55 AM   #3
(female)

BRIAN2000 HB User

HI Kelly1213,

Hope you are recovering well.

Any improvements in your breath so far? How is it going so far?

Take care,

Brian

Old 11-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #4
(female)

Kelly1213 HB User

Hey Brian,
I'm feeling much better now and the breath is better too! I still have some white scabs, but they're starting to fade. Now it just feels more like a dull musle type pain every time I swallow, rather than a raw sore throat pain. How are you feeling? You must be pretty much over it by now aren't you?

Old 11-19-2008, 06:50 AM   #5
(female)

BRIAN2000 HB User

Hi Kelly1213,

I am doing pretty good. Not completely healed but everyday I feel better and better and am chewing and talking good now. My breath is also much better as well. I am on day 18 post op. But I will wait till the end of the month before I test if the operation improved the persistent bad breath which I had before the operation.

I am still being very careful esp. not bending down, or lifting anything. i heard that we should be careful not to bend down or do anything to built up pressure in the head/throat area so as to avoid complications for up to 6 weeks post op.

Hope you are healing well.

Take care,
Brian

Old 11-20-2008, 04:49 AM   #6
(female)

Kelly1213 HB User

Hi Brian,
Well that's good that you're on your way toward healing! I was never told about the lifting etc. I'm actually feelilng worse since my last post. I think part of the reason for the increased pain is that I went back to work this past Tuesday. I'm a clinical coordinator for an adolescent group home and an in home family therapist. Plus, last night without thinking I had a tomato based sauce with dinner last night. I woke up this morning with a really bad headache and a VERY sore throat. I so don't want to go back to work today, but I really can't take any more time off. Thanks for the advise about lifting. Take care!

Old 11-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #7
(female)

BRIAN2000 HB User

Hi Kelly1213,

Sorry about your pain. I am on day 19 and still not 100% but everyday I am getting better and better. No complaints. Only problem is I overdid it a bit today. I cleaned the windows and did some stretching because I am a bit short 5 feet 3inches and well I couldnt reach to open the windows without stretching too much. I had to tip on my toes a lot to open the windows. I should have left them alone. Those DAMM windows. The problem is now I have muscle pain in my neck and shoulder more outside my neck not the inside. I should have stood on something but silly me didnt want to lift the chair or anything besides nothing was nearby for me to stand on and truth be told I really didnt want to fall at this stage of recovery.

Well no more window cleaning for me.

Sorry about your work. I suppose you have to do a lot of talking being a therapist and dealing with adolescent. What day are you on now?

Kelly, couldnt you go back to your ENT or family doctor and request one more week to help you recover properly. I am sure the doctor would understand especially considering your work involves lots of talking.

I wish you all the best. Take care. I hope you feel better.

Let me know how things get on and I will let you know as well.

Closed Thread