It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008, 08:57 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User
My toddler was dx with thyroglossal duct cyst

any of you experience this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2008, 08:02 PM   #2
(female)

lisy624 HB User
Re: My toddler was dx with thyroglossal duct cyst

Hi!
My 3yo daughter was just dx with the same today. Her pediatrician referred her to an ENT. I see your post is over a month ago did you go through with the actual surgery already? What can you tell me? I just hate the thought of my daughter going under general anesthesia again!! She did earlier this year for a obstructed tear duct surgery and when she came out of it she was a demon child!! It was very scary. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated, I have no idea what to expect, I'm a little scared.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
(female)

gokiamma HB User

My 5 year old boy seems to have Thyroglossal Duct Cyst. Here is his story. I noticed the lump in his throat a year ago, and showed it to the Ped. She measured it by hand and said it was around 1.5 cm and to monitor it. While it has not bothered him in anyway, I took him to the ENT last week after he turned 5. ENT thinks it could either be a thyroglossal Duct Cyst or a enlarged lymph node. He recommends surgery since he believes it is now 3 cm big.

ENT also said that FNA (fine needle aspiration) will be tough for a child to handle. My questions are

1)If you experienced thyroglossal, did your ENT do any diagnostics either through FNA or an ultrasoound to find out if it was a duct or a lymph node?

2)I am also worried about the scar left after the surgery..

3)Is it possible to remove the cyst endoscopically instead of making an incision on the throat? Any info will help.

Pl advice
Deepa

Old 01-13-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
(female)

lisy624 HB User

She is scheduled for the surgery at the end of this month. It will be by incision. No FNA or ultrasound was done by the ENT just measured it, he was certain it was a thyroglossal cyst. It is about 1.5 cm in size

Old 01-13-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
(female)

gokiamma HB User

Hi lisy624,

thank you for writing. good luck with your LO's surgery. I have asked my ENT for a referral to get a second opinion. I have a few more questions, for which I seek your time. How is your ENT certain that it is a thyroglossal duct? I am told that with out an ultrasound or a FNA, it is hard to say if it is a cyst or a enlarged node? In our case too, I am certain we will opt for the surgery-Do you know if there are less invasive ways to remove the growth? Would you have any info on how long it would take for the scar to heal?

thanks

Closed Thread