It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2008, 08:53 AM   #1
(male)

K9Unit6 HB User
Heartbeat in my right ear.

I have recently begun to have throbing (heartbeat) in my right ear. It usually comes on after I have been drinking. Sometimes it won't last long, but today it is still throbing from last night. If I stick my finger in my ear, it stops. I do have high blood pressure, and am on hydrochlorothiazide for that. Is this related to drinking, or some other cause? Please help.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:28 AM   #2
(female)

Danthespan HB User
Re: Heartbeat in my right ear.

Hi
I have this also all the time...in both ears and I can hear it every night when I am in bed.
I have had this for years..and have learnied to live with it.
Doc said there is nothing he can do...and there is nothing wrong with me
Hope this helps
D

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
(male)

cally1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Unit6 View Post
I have recently begun to have throbing (heartbeat) in my right ear. It usually comes on after I have been drinking. Sometimes it won't last long, but today it is still throbing from last night. If I stick my finger in my ear, it stops. I do have high blood pressure, and am on hydrochlorothiazide for that. Is this related to drinking, or some other cause? Please help.

Two things you may want to lok into are:

Patulous eustachian tube (pET) dysfunction - The eustachian tube stays open most of the time. The eustachian tube is a passageway from the back of the nose to the middle ear that may be opened or closed by action of a valve-like device. Under normal circumstances, it remains closed for most of the day, opening only on occasion to equalize air pressure in the middle ear and the exterior environment.If the tube remains open, the patient complains of hearing one's own voice or hearing echoes of owns own voice.

A consition called SSCD- ask about a High Res CT Scan of the inner ear bones looking for sscd- A hole in the inner ear bone that can cause autophoney - and a vemp test -

Keep us posted!

Barry

Old 01-02-2009, 08:48 AM   #4
(female)

crazyears51 HB User

It can be a couple of other benign things; one, your carotids snake around the area near the inner ear (you can see it in an anatomy book), and if the tissue has thinned for any reason you can hear your heartbeat, or the swooshing of circulation and pulse. Second, when there is neck muscle tension, this can push against the carotids and one can hear the beat.

Lee

Closed Thread