It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2008, 08:34 AM   #1
(female)

Danthespan HB User
Unhappy Throat Cough And Tickle

[Hi
I have a ticle in my throat constant...if I swallow it makes me cough sometimes.
If I eat certain things when I swollow it tickles this certain area in my throat
and makes me cough then I sneeze 2 or 3 times....sometimes it blocks my airways and I can not breath. My lungs are clea and doc says all is well.
I am afrais to go out for meals just in case this happens.
Anyone any idea.
Di B][/B]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twokatss HB User
Re: Throat Cough AndTickle

I wish some one would answer your question. I have this same trouble.
Some times it feels like I am choking and then I sneeze too...

For a while I thought I had something stuck in my throat. This has been going on for years with me.

Last edited by twokatss; 12-14-2008 at 10:47 AM. Reason: spelling error

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
(female)

dburtaine HB User
Re: Throat Cough And Tickle

Hi,

I have had a chronic cough for about six years now. I have GERD and sinus problems, but medications for these did not seem to help me. I saw a new ENT earlier this year, and he claimed that my uvula (the thing in the back of your throat) was very long and was constantly touching my tongue causing constant irriation. I just had surgery to have it trimmed about six days ago. So far, the cough has been better. I think this is a fairly unusual cause for cough, though.

GERD and sinus drainage are very common causes of throat irritation and cough. Have you been checked for these?

Old 02-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
(female)

Fish91657 HB User

I have had a chronic cough and shortness of breath for 2 1/2 years. After many tests for Gerd and other things, I was sent to an ENT doctor. He put a camera down my throat and discovered that my epiglotis was rubbing on the base of my tongue. I had tongue base reduction surgery in December. The cough and the shortness of breath went away for about 3 weeks and then came back. He now has discovered that my uvula is also rubbing on my tongue. I have surgery schedules this Friday, 3/6. I can feel the uvula rubbing on my tongue, so I hope this is going to work. It has been a very frustrating 2 years.

Lynn

Old 07-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
(male)

fubarthomas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish91657 View Post
I have had a chronic cough and shortness of breath for 2 1/2 years. After many tests for Gerd and other things, I was sent to an ENT doctor. He put a camera down my throat and discovered that my epiglotis was rubbing on the base of my tongue. I had tongue base reduction surgery in December. The cough and the shortness of breath went away for about 3 weeks and then came back. He now has discovered that my uvula is also rubbing on my tongue. I have surgery schedules this Friday, 3/6. I can feel the uvula rubbing on my tongue, so I hope this is going to work. It has been a very frustrating 2 years.

Lynn
Hello,
May I ask how is your cough after surgery? Has it subsided as a result of uvula reduction?
I have been suffering from what appears to be the same problem and after 8 months of doctor visits, checking everything, the uvula is becoming highly suspect. It has been enlarged for several years and constantly touches the back of the tongue. Starting November 2008, I have had a persistent cough. Also have sleep apnea which contributes to a constantly irritated uvula.
Information appreciated.
Thanks,
Doug Thomas

Old 07-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
(female)

Fish91657 HB User

Doug, after having 3 surgeries all together, 2 tongue base and the trimming of the uvula, the cough was better but not gone. It was a bit frustrating. I am now on a medication called amitriptylin. it is somewhat experimental for the cough as it is used to treat fibromyalgia and depression. I now cough about 2-3 times a day, which is much better but I have only been on this for 3 weeks. My pharmacist and ENT said that I should try vocal cord therapy, as I may have spastic vocul cords. This is what I will try next as I do not want to be on this medication for the rest of my life. Keep me informed as to how you are doing. Maybe between the 2 of us, we can find a cause. Thanks for writing.

Lynn

Old 07-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
(female)

Fish91657 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubarthomas View Post
Hello,
May I ask how is your cough after surgery? Has it subsided as a result of uvula reduction?
I have been suffering from what appears to be the same problem and after 8 months of doctor visits, checking everything, the uvula is becoming highly suspect. It has been enlarged for several years and constantly touches the back of the tongue. Starting November 2008, I have had a persistent cough. Also have sleep apnea which contributes to a constantly irritated uvula.
Information appreciated.
Thanks,
Doug Thomas
Doug, I sent you a reply but not sure if you got it or not. Please let me know.

Closed Thread