It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2008, 02:04 PM   #1
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 4
plehdem2008 HB User
Adult Recovery from PE Tube Surgery

40 year old adult. I had a PE tube put in my left ear 3 days ago. I have had ETD for many years and was just tired of the pressure and flare ups and decided I needed to give this a try. So far, not a fan. There's been some mild pain, but I can deal with pain. The frustrating part of this is the fullness and pressure feeling that never lets up 24/7...which is what I was trying to resolve by having the tube in the first place. Things just sound weird too. I know that hearing thru a small tube will change some of dynamics of hearing, but this is rotten. I hear thunderous bass thuds and roaring noises more than I do normal sounds. I can hardly understand what people are saying to me because I hear the tires rolling in the car or the heater running in the office or the fridge running in the kitchen. It feels like my ear is just clogged up. The myringotomy itself relieved pressure, as I could feel that immediately when the doctor made the cut. The tube seems to be the issue. Is this just part of healing and the fullness and clogged feeling will go away? I have to admit, if this is *it* then I'm going to get it taken out. No reason to have a tube and still have fullness/pressure - I did this to get RID of that. If it eventually clears itself up, then I can deal with it until that happens...but I just don't know what is normal and what is not. Right now, it's difficult to hear normal things and it's difficult to talk because of the plugged up and offset feeling on one side. Little to no information out there about adults and PE tubes. If anyone can speak from experience and help me understand what I'm feeling and what to expect in the coming days, I'd be very grateful.

 
The Following User Says Thank You to plehdem2008 For This Useful Post:
BentleyRock (08-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 12-24-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 4
plehdem2008 HB User
Re: Adult Recovery from PE Tube Surgery

Well, in case it helps anyone...this ear thing resolved itself after about a week and a half. One day I just noticed that things sounded normal, for the most part. I guess it just needed to heal. I'm pleased with the result. I'm going to get the other side done now! My advice to anyone who happens upon this post is to just relax and let it heal. The trauma of the surgery is what caused the issue. Once it started to heal the improvements were noticeable until it was basically back to normal...except with no pressure!

 
Old 01-24-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2
USATOUK HB User
Re: Adult Recovery from PE Tube Surgery

I just had tubes put in yesterday. I read your first post and it is EXACTLY how I feel right now. Very scary and strange since it is my hearing. I wasn't given any info. on my hearing being worse afterwards so I'm a little concerned.It's like everything is muffled. I read your second post also and was wondering are things still better for you? I'm also thinking of taking an allergy pill but not sure if you are supposed to right after they are put in. Just wondering if you may have any info on that. (Dr. closed till Mon)
So annoying to come out of surgery feeling like your in a tunnel

 
Old 03-02-2009, 06:47 AM   #4
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cincinnti, Ohio
Posts: 3
aab2009 HB User
Re: Adult Recovery from PE Tube Surgery

It has been 13 days now since my left ear had a PE tube placement. My ear still feels full. I am very tired of getting no relief. Any advice?

 
Old 03-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #5
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3
HawaiiIsla HB User
Re: Adult Recovery from PE Tube Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by plehdem2008 View Post
Well, in case it helps anyone...this ear thing resolved itself after about a week and a half. One day I just noticed that things sounded normal, for the most part. I guess it just needed to heal. I'm pleased with the result. I'm going to get the other side done now! My advice to anyone who happens upon this post is to just relax and let it heal. The trauma of the surgery is what caused the issue. Once it started to heal the improvements were noticeable until it was basically back to normal...except with no pressure!

 
Old 03-30-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3
HawaiiIsla HB User
Red face Re: Adult Recovery from PE Tube Surgery

Initally after you had your tubes put in your ears, you mentioned that your ears felt "plugged" and had "pressure" still in them. Later, after about a week and a half, you mentioned that after "healing", things sounded "normal" again. What did the ENT say caused the "plugged" felling and "pressure" inside for the first week and a half? I am having the same problem. It's been a week now. I am wondering if I have the tube removed, will the "plugged" feeling go away?

 
Old 03-30-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3
HawaiiIsla HB User
Re: Adult Recovery from PE Tube Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by USATOUK View Post
I just had tubes put in yesterday. I read your first post and it is EXACTLY how I feel right now. Very scary and strange since it is my hearing. I wasn't given any info. on my hearing being worse afterwards so I'm a little concerned.It's like everything is muffled. I read your second post also and was wondering are things still better for you? I'm also thinking of taking an allergy pill but not sure if you are supposed to right after they are put in. Just wondering if you may have any info on that. (Dr. closed till Mon)
So annoying to come out of surgery feeling like your in a tunnel
Are things better for you now? I am experiencing the same problem. It's been a week now.

 
Old 06-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 4
plehdem2008 HB User
Re: Adult Recovery from PE Tube Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiIsla View Post
Initally after you had your tubes put in your ears, you mentioned that your ears felt "plugged" and had "pressure" still in them. Later, after about a week and a half, you mentioned that after "healing", things sounded "normal" again. What did the ENT say caused the "plugged" felling and "pressure" inside for the first week and a half? I am having the same problem. It's been a week now. I am wondering if I have the tube removed, will the "plugged" feeling go away?
I am so sorry for forgetting about this thread. My apologies! I hope by now you have healed and are fine. About 2 months after I had the left one put in, I had the right one done. That one had ZERO healing needed. It was great. I felt awesome the minute I left the doctor's office.

Now, here's more good info for you. After barely 6 months, my left ear got stuffy again! It was a definite difference, so I knew that either the tube fell out or it was plugged. I went in to his office and he said he saw the tube still there and it "looked" fine. The audiologist did a pressure test and it was like there was no tube in there. So he said the tube was starting to get pushed out and the ear drum had healed behind it and that it would eventually work its way out. :-( I really miss that no pressure feeling! He suggested t-tubes. I'm not against that at all, I just have no idea what to expect. He said they are a lot longer and I have to get it done as an outpatient procedure (put to sleep for about 20 minutes or so). He said they stay in a lot longer (a few years or more), but that they may "sound" differently than the shorter temporary tubes.

If anyone out there has had t-tubes and can give us info on it I'd be grateful. Chances are that if you are like me and have had chronic ETD for years, those little tubes will come out after several months and you'll be back in the same boat again.

 
Old 10-15-2010, 05:36 AM   #9
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: san antonio texas usa
Posts: 1
amabrod HB User
Smile Re: Adult Recovery from PE Tube Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by plehdem2008 View Post
40 year old adult. I had a PE tube put in my left ear 3 days ago. I have had ETD for many years and was just tired of the pressure and flare ups and decided I needed to give this a try. So far, not a fan. There's been some mild pain, but I can deal with pain. The frustrating part of this is the fullness and pressure feeling that never lets up 24/7...which is what I was trying to resolve by having the tube in the first place. Things just sound weird too. I know that hearing thru a small tube will change some of dynamics of hearing, but this is rotten. I hear thunderous bass thuds and roaring noises more than I do normal sounds. I can hardly understand what people are saying to me because I hear the tires rolling in the car or the heater running in the office or the fridge running in the kitchen. It feels like my ear is just clogged up. The myringotomy itself relieved pressure, as I could feel that immediately when the doctor made the cut. The tube seems to be the issue. Is this just part of healing and the fullness and clogged feeling will go away? I have to admit, if this is *it* then I'm going to get it taken out. No reason to have a tube and still have fullness/pressure - I did this to get RID of that. If it eventually clears itself up, then I can deal with it until that happens...but I just don't know what is normal and what is not. Right now, it's difficult to hear normal things and it's difficult to talk because of the plugged up and offset feeling on one side. Little to no information out there about adults and PE tubes. If anyone can speak from experience and help me understand what I'm feeling and what to expect in the coming days, I'd be very grateful.

 
Old 10-27-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cincinnti, Ohio
Posts: 3
aab2009 HB User
Re: Adult Recovery from PE Tube Surgery

It has been over 2 years for me to try to get back to hearing normally again, with no luck. February 2011 will make 2 years since my PE tube was placed, however, it was suppose to pop out on its own in 6 months. My hearing got so bad that people started souding like robots to me as if they were under water talking when they would speak to me. I finally received relief recently by going to the chiropractor. I am about 70% better which is better than nothing, right? The chiropractor adjusted my head/neck for sinuses in hopes that this would help and at the same time would adjust my ears. Yes...that's right. They will adjust your ears. Within 24 hours, my sinuses drained like crazy, which was awesome because I slightly began hearing better in my ear too and the feeling of fullness was subsiding. So...definitely talk to a chiropractor about this. My ENT physician was leary of this but then he told me that if it is helping me, then to continue adjustments because he no longer could help me out. I am going to a different ENT specialist today and will be discussing this ear problem to him. I would love to have 100% relief. I cannot believe how we can send a man to the moon but cannot help anyone with fullness in their ears. I felt as if I was going to go crazy at times because my ears had gotten so bad that I would hear ringing in them and buzzing noises but the chiropractor has helped me tremendously! Good luck to you!

 
Old 10-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #11
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: nj
Posts: 4
meganash HB User
Re: Adult Recovery from PE Tube Surgery

Hi, I just joined. Had a tube placed in right ear for ETD, today. Feel great. I do have fullness from the new hole, but Dr. said in three days I will be used to it and won't notice. I really hope so.I don;t have any pain, the numbing was the worst part and the fact that the adult tubes were a bit big for my ear canal, however he did finally get it through and placed in my ear.

The pressure though is gone! Thank goodness. Not fogging uo, not feeling the need to pop my ear to no avail.

This has been on and off for two years, but back in August it clogged and never unclogged, except for two weeks during that time.

I switched ENT's because I felt my first one didn't think it was a big deal. I was losing my mind every night. not sleeping, having anxiety(never had before) and taking tons of different allergy meds, which is what the ENT says is causing all this. I also never had allergies until 2 years ago and I get all congested.

So far, day one and I am thrilled with the results and do not feel the tubes were a mistake. I would do it again, because now life seems a bit more normal.

Hoping my other ear stays clear, but if not a tube is on my list.

 
Old 03-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #12
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: IL USA
Posts: 36
Ben76251 HB User
Re: Adult Recovery from PE Tube Surgery

I had ear tubes put in a week ago, and i'm not loving it yet. My right ear seems better, but my left ear is still all muffled/clogged feeling. I will say that your post really gives me some hope though, so I thank you for that.

Strange question for everyone with ear tubes...

I noticed that sometimes when i breathe in that it feels like i'm breathing through my ear. I swear as i breathe in, I can feel air being sucked in through my ear. Does anyone else have this problem/sensation from the tubes?
It is only on the right ear, which feel more clear than my left ear.
Could this be Patulouse ET problems?
I just don't really know what to expect/what is normal with these ear tubes. I really didn't get much information from my ENT doc. My understanding was that everything would be good in 3 days or so, and it would basically be a miracle cure. So far it's problematic.

I would really appreciate any responses. I'm just wondering what everyone else is experiencing with their ear tubes, and what is infact normal?

 
Old 03-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #13
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Everett
Posts: 5
bagsua HB User
Re: Adult Recovery from PE Tube Surgery

Yes, I am having the same problem. Same hearing breathing in my ears. I had a myringotomy with incision only, no tubes about 5 weeks ago, and am still having muffled sound. To me, it seems like PET, which is weird, because before I had the incision, i could hear fine, just had pressure in my euastacian tubes. I'm headin to a different ENT in a few days, but am worried that I have made a mistake and that these incision have ruined my hearing for life.
Anyones input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

 
Old 04-12-2011, 09:51 PM   #14
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 1
Chrisk13 HB User
Re: Adult Recovery from PE Tube Surgery

I believe that is actually normal. When I got ear tubes several years ago and during the whole time I had them I was able to actually blow air out of my ears and could feel it come in sometimes. I asked my doctor and he told me that it is fine and some people do report that.

 
Old 04-17-2011, 06:26 AM   #15
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1
ninazephyr HB User
Re: Adult Recovery from PE Tube Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by plehdem2008 View Post
Now, here's more good info for you. After barely 6 months, my left ear got stuffy again! It was a definite difference, so I knew that either the tube fell out or it was plugged. I went in to his office and he said he saw the tube still there and it "looked" fine. The audiologist did a pressure test and it was like there was no tube in there. So he said the tube was starting to get pushed out and the ear drum had healed behind it and that it would eventually work its way out. :-( I really miss that no pressure feeling! He suggested t-tubes. I'm not against that at all, I just have no idea what to expect. He said they are a lot longer and I have to get it done as an outpatient procedure (put to sleep for about 20 minutes or so). He said they stay in a lot longer (a few years or more), but that they may "sound" differently than the shorter temporary tubes.
I have had tubes and t-tubes put in my ear almost a dozen times from ages 11-21. I'm still terribly hard of hearing and have since stopped going to the doctor about it. Ever since I was a child the only solution has been surgery, surgery and more surgery. The problem with my hearing is my eustachian tube, not my ear drum. Last surgery I had I was informed I'd need eardrum reconstruction soon. I just got fed up and felt like the doctors were not on my side. Never once was I asked if I wanted an allergy test! Since I'd had this problem since childhood I rested on the information my parents gave me and doctors gave me without much research - only in my 20s did I start doing research and realize it was probably caused by an allergy. I'd been living with the difficulty to hear for a few years because it didn't bother me much, but after a rough bout with a flu I'm rendered about half deaf and am on my way to an allergy test. I guess my only response is: Go for it and get the t-tubes. Then be prepared to get them for the rest of your life, which was what my doctor told me.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Fluid in Ear.... Ear Tube in Adult? ETD? Advice? hukleberrie Ear, Nose & Throat 4 05-21-2008 07:18 AM
To all people worried...ADULT TONSILLECTOMY.. makaveli9177 Ear, Nose & Throat 2 02-06-2008 08:41 PM
Preparations for post-op recovery at home. prostateC Cancer: Prostate 2 02-28-2007 01:34 PM
LisaMP's Guide to Adult Tonsillectomy mkgbrook Ear, Nose & Throat 0 09-07-2006 01:16 PM
Adult tonsillectomy mamie Ear, Nose & Throat 1 07-14-2006 11:03 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



jenni9033 (30), Titchou (12), Jenmomof2 (11), mkgbrook (8), LisaMP (8), gcsjr (8), ladybud (8), choirgirl (7), palmtreegirl (6), buffalonygal (6)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1164), MSJayhawk (997), Apollo123 (896), Titchou (832), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (757), ladybud (745), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:36 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!