It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2008, 08:07 AM   #1
(female)

Sheilia01 HB User
Head pressure/fullness when standing up

For the past 2 weeks every so often when I stand up, I get a fullness/pressure in my head and ears. My hearing will also be muffled. I stand still for a few seconds then it goes back to normal. I've had a cold or cold type virus for the past 2 weeks but it is about gone except for a few sneezes and post nasal drip. I don't feel it's blood pressure related because I have a monitor and it is in the normal range sitting or when I stand. It kind of feels like when you hold your mouth and nose closed and try to blow out. Can't really explain it. Has anyone else experienced this and could they plpease explain to me what it could be? Thanks for any info provided.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:03 PM   #2
(female)

midniteblue HB User
Re: Head pressure/fullness when standing up

I get the same as you. Sometimes I think it's because I sit at the computer too much and neck gets stiff and not enough exercise. Also I get allergies to paper and ink which is on my desk and my throat burns from it and my nose gets stuffy so they say with allergies that the inner ear connects close to sinuses. I have nasal polyps and my neighbor was a nurse and she thinks it could be from my sinuses from the allergies. I also have bad whiplash from car accident few years ago and that can make a stiff neck more. I got nervous from this pressure in the ears and head when I get up and turn my head or straight, that I went to get a carotid artery testing to make sure my arteries in my neck wasn't clogged. It turned out to be normal for my age, am a young 50 year old. I don't look my age. I also gained weight and wonder if that's doing it too. I think it's a combination of things that can do it. I know all of those I list are causing it with me but with you, check into your carotid arteries in your neck. Just a simple sonogram. They just rub it on your neck and look at the screen. I don't know how old you are etc or how your lifestyle is to guess what yours is from. I am not a doctor also but I been through the mill with health stuff so I know how you feel. You can respond back to me to tell me what you think I said and if it relates to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheilia01 View Post
For the past 2 weeks every so often when I stand up, I get a fullness/pressure in my head and ears. My hearing will also be muffled. I stand still for a few seconds then it goes back to normal. I've had a cold or cold type virus for the past 2 weeks but it is about gone except for a few sneezes and post nasal drip. I don't feel it's blood pressure related because I have a monitor and it is in the normal range sitting or when I stand. It kind of feels like when you hold your mouth and nose closed and try to blow out. Can't really explain it. Has anyone else experienced this and could they plpease explain to me what it could be? Thanks for any info provided.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
(female)

Sheilia01 HB User

Thanks for your reply. I first posted in December, here it is March and it's still happening. My arteries are fine. I don't have allergies. No cold or anything either but this still happens. I have noticed, like you said, it happens after I have been sitting at computer or watching tv. My neck will get alittle stiff. Then when I stand it happens. BUT..it doesn't happen everytime I stand up. When I have been sleeping or just resting on the bed and get up, it NEVER happens. Only after sitting for awhile. No pain or anything. Blood pressure is also fine. I wish there were more people who might know what this could be. I told my Dr. my head feels like it fills with blood and very slow to drain out. He said, my head isn't filling with blood, if it did I would be dead. This is so hard to explain. Please help!

The Following User Says Thank You to Sheilia01 For This Useful Post:
dreadwinter (05-13-2012)
Old 03-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
(female)

midniteblue HB User

Hi again. I am wondering if you should see a chiropractor. I went to a neurologist once about it and he says see a chiropractor and then I saw an ENT (ear nose and throat) doctor and he said possible a nerve could be kinking the artery in the neck or even possible stiff muscles in neck. See a chiropractor and explain to him and see what he says. I noticed when we don't get answers from doctors it could be a chiropractor that has the answer. I noticed mine started since I increase my thyroid meds too. See what a chiropractor says.

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I first posted in December, here it is March and it's still happening. My arteries are fine. I don't have allergies. No cold or anything either but this still happens. I have noticed, like you said, it happens after I have been sitting at computer or watching tv. My neck will get alittle stiff. Then when I stand it happens. BUT..it doesn't happen everytime I stand up. When I have been sleeping or just resting on the bed and get up, it NEVER happens. Only after sitting for awhile. No pain or anything. Blood pressure is also fine. I wish there were more people who might know what this could be. I told my Dr. my head feels like it fills with blood and very slow to drain out. He said, my head isn't filling with blood, if it did I would be dead. This is so hard to explain. Please help!

Old 05-20-2009, 06:38 AM   #5
(male)

TomOB HB User

Hi Sheilia01 and Midniteblue,

* removed link to commercial website *

I am still searching for answers too. Have you found any relief?

Tom

Last edited by hb-mod; 05-20-2009 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Please don't post links and/or instructions regarding commercial websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to TomOB For This Useful Post:
mora346 (11-11-2012)
Old 03-17-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
(female)

ambeezie HB User

Quote:
Has anyone found anything out? I have the EXACT symptoms. I have sinus trouble but I don't seem to have anything going on with them right now though......

Old 07-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
(female)

trixievixon HB User

i get the same thing. usually if i have been sitting for a half hour or more. not every time tho. i agree it is not a blood pressure thing. it is exactly as u described. i asked a friend and he suggested that it may have something to do with "second space fluids" in the body. i have tried to investigate this possibility but i can't find anything about second space fluids that is any help. maybe u will have better luck. it is a bit distracting and even tho it goes away quickly, i don't like having odd things like that. i can't help but feel it might be a symptom of some imbalance that needs to be corrected. alternatively i had wondered if it was to do with low electrolytes maybe? let me know if either of these ideas pan out for you if you can...thanks.

Closed Thread