It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2008, 04:25 AM   #1
(male)

cbstinso HB User
Tonsillectomy, here we go!

In less than four hours, I will get my tonsils removed. I am a little nervous, as I am 30 and have never had any type of surgery, thus no anesthesia. It is all a little intimidating, but I trust that I will be fine.

I have read all the horror stories on here, but I understand that, statistically, these are the anomalies and do not constitute the general rule. Nonetheless, it helps to know the possibilities for these things exist, and I feel very bad for these folks. Many of the threads have been a big help to me in preparing mentally for this surgery. I am grateful to those who have posted, often with sincere compassion for one another.

Many times, people stopped writing when they started feeling better. My hope is that I can post on here every day until I am recovered. I found myself looking for threads where someone had posted on a daily basis, and I found those gems to be the most helpful ones of all. My thought is that many other people undergoing or thinking of undergoing a tonsillectomy are looking for similar threads. Thus, I hope to contribute in that vein. I will try to include somewhat “objective” criteria where possible, even though it is an inexact practice, given that we all feel things so differently.

Well, my surgery is scheduled for 10:45. We’ll see how it goes. Thanks, everyone, for your advice. I wish I would have discovered Health Boards long ago.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2008, 07:22 AM   #2
(female)

RachP02 HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy, here we go!

Good luck today and definitely keep us updated! My 1st time going under anesthesia was also last year when I had my tonsils removed and I actually kind of liked it. They give you a shot of something 1st to calm you down & it makes you feel all warm and woozy. When I came out of it I still felt kind of drunk & happy & wanted to talk to all the doctors, which wasn't a good idea since my tonsils were just ripped out of my throat. I also had one dumb nurse who kept trying to get me to eat SALTINES right after the surgery because she didn't want to give me a percocet on an empty stomach. My husband had to explain to her that salty foods probably weren't the best thing to eat when you have open sores in your throat. (she fnally gave me the percocets on an empty stomach, and I was fine) So good luck again, and hopefully we'll here from you soon!

Old 12-30-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
(male)

cbstinso HB User

Well, I did it! The surgery is over and I am at home on the couch.

I arrived at the hospital at 10:45, where we were seated in a waiting room and assigned a pager. (Yes, a pager… like you get at busy restaurants). A nurse named Connie prepped me by having me disrobe, put on the hilarious hospital gown. Then she started an IV and gave me Keflex, an antibiotic, as well as a liquid dose of a steroid for inflammation, both via IV. I do not think I was given anything to clam me down. She also gave me phenergan (promethazine) for nausea. The anesthesiologist and the nurse anesthetist then came and took my history, explained everything to me.

Next, the surgeon appeared and informed me about my drug regimen. Dilaudid!! I am so relieved that I don’t have one of those masochistic doctors who would have prescribed me Tylenol 3. He also have me some tetracaine lollipops that should help me get food and drink down. He also gave

They wheeled me down to the surgery area. The anesthesiologist explained that it was time, and next think I knew I woke up in the triage area. A new nurse was taking care of me. I talked that poor lady’s ear off. I don’t remember this, but they reported that my first words as I was coming out from under anesthesia were “Can I please have a pen and paper?” They broght me a pen, and I proceeded to write on the back of my medical chart. Only I would insist that I be provided these things immediately upon returning to consciousness. I also don’t remember writing what I wrote, but the nurse made a copy of my scribbling for me, and this is what it says.

“I know Garman. Garman,” it begins. What the hell? Dr. Garman is my doctor, but… what the hell did I mean? Beats me. It continues: “This is not neurosurgery.” Why did I feel the need to state the obvious? Seriously, what is wrong with me? “Nurse told me to shut up and she was well justified in doing so.” OK, so I am getting somewhat coherent and self-aware. But I still wasn’t finished. “Persistently asked for pen and paper – embarrassing.” Definitely. Finally, “Don’t understand my compulsion to talk to this poor nurse.” Wow, I am weird.

Pain: 2/10 (I know this is going to get much worse).
Diet: I chewed ice chips and drank some water at the hospital. Now home, I am drinking lemon-lime Gatorade 2, the lower calorie product
I’m feeling: I am still a little light-headed and very hungry. With regard to my throat, “discomfort” is really the only fair word to describe it. I have minimal pain. I know that will change soon, so I will enjoy the reprieve while I can.

If anybody has any questions about getting your tonsils out, I am happy to answer any question about my own experience, if you think it would help you. I so appreciate all the threads full of advice, I would love to give something back. Thank you!

Old 12-30-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
(female)

spirithawk06 HB User

I had my tonsils out yesterday. 12-29-08. I am 20 years old and I was scared silly because this would be the first surgery that I would actually remember. I had adenoids and pe tubes when I was too young to remember. I had to be there for 8 and was 8th in line. Around 10 I was given a shot to calm my nerves and to dry out my mouth. They took me into the OR around 12 and I was back out by 1. I was also given something else in my IV but I don't know what it was. The nurse put my IV in, they hooked up some monitors, gave me some medicine in my IV and told me it might burn (I didn't feel it) and another nurse put a mask on my mouth and said to breathe deep and that it was oxygen. The next thing I know I was all disoriented and my throat felt strange. I think I panicked a bit and started couging and my nurse calmed me saying that I needed to try to just clear my throat because otherwise I would tear open the scabs and that everything was ok. She took my IV out and I don't really remember getting wheeled back up to my room. I don't even remember switching back from the operating table to my bed. I know I had some blood on my blanket and the nurse removed it and I coughed up some old blood as well but other than that I remember asking my Mom if my boyfriend had left to go to work. She said he had stayed until my Dr. went in to let them know how everything had gone and then left for work. He was already late. They told me my doctor said that my tonsils were larger than what he usually sees and that I would probably have more pain and seepage than was usual.

My throat felt really strange and I could feel a bit of pain in my ears but I knew this was supposed to be normal. I don't know if I was in and out of consciousness but I probably was because everything was hazy. I was thirsty so I started on ice chips and small sips of water. My uvula was really swollen and I had to just let the ice chips melt and take baby sips. After a while I started feeling more pain and the nurse came with some Tylenol with Codeine. That burned a bit going down and I choked a few times. I was released by 6 and the drive home was rather unpleasant. I kept an ice pack around my throat most of the day and all night. I had to sleep propped up and I couldn't manage my antibiotics. I also had to water down my pain medicine because it burned like crazy and was too thick going down. Also anything that is not chilled really feels bad going down.

I was put on liquid Loretap and Cephelexin (sp) antibiotics. I can't talk without hurting pretty bad so I've been using a dry erase board and my direct connect to let everyone know I need something. I managed to get down a couple of small bites of a banana pop but the sugar was coating my throat and it didn't feel all that great. I ate a small scoop of vanilla ice cream, slowly and in tiny baby bites. I continued with the ice chips and slept off and on all night. I thought the pain was bad until later that night my mom forgot to wake up on time and I woke up an hour after I was supposed to have my pain medication in excrutiating pain. I used my nextel direct connect to alert my mom and made my way to the bathroom. She gave me my medicine but it really burned going down. It was room temperature and undiluted. She went put some ice in it and fussed at me not to get excited because she was asking questions and I didn't have my board and was having trouble telling her what was wrong. The medicine had worn off completely and I couldnt stop coughing. I opened a small part of my scabs and bled a bit. It kind of scared me and I wanted to call my doctor but it was just a small opening and it closed in no time.

Today I had quite a bit of trouble swallowing. The pain is less but I choke very easily and I have quite a bit of nasty phlem in my throat that is combining with the swelling to keep me from swallowing anything easily. The stuff I try to drink always manages to go up my nose too. I wasn't really able to even drink water until later this afternoon. I slept off and on all day because I had hardly gotten any sleep last night. The pain meds and antibiotics were hard to get down and even diluted it took me anywhere from a half an hour to an hour to get down a couple of teaspoons.

I started feeling a bit better even though it was hard to swallow and managed 2 tablespoons of french vanilla slim fast. That tasted sooo good but I couldn't manage much more of it. I was able to drink a bit more water than I had this morning. I have been keeping ice packs on both the front and back of my neck all day. I have been spitting up small bits of phlem and occasionally brown old blood. I was told the old blood is normal but its the bright red I have to look out for.

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning at 10 to get a shot to lessen the swelling. Hopefully I will be able to eat and drink a bit more after that. I feel woozy from not eating but I can't force myself to do it. My mom tried to get me to take liquid Tylenol to help my Loretab. The nurse had said we could try it if the loretab wasnt enough but I honestly couldn't get it down. I wound up throwing it up and was coughing so bad I thought I would open my scabs. Luckily my dad took over my care while she went for a check up and he didn't push for me to finish the tylenol. He gave me half my dose of Loretab and pushed for me to take my antibiotics because he doesn't want me to get an infection. I managed to get down 2 tablespoons of fench vanilla slim fast. That tasted good but again the swelling made it hard for me to drink much. 2 hours later Dad gave me my other half a dose. I find it is easier for me that way but my mom doesn't want to listen. The nurse said she did that for her daughter and it was better for her. Mom thinks she knows best though. In some cases I agree with her but she doesnt seem to want to realize that she isn't always right. I felt yucky so I took a short bath in lukewarm water. I am still weak on my pins and it hurt to try to lay down to rinse my long hair so Mom brought me a cup. She had also asked a pharmacist what toothpaste he would recommend because I had asked for children's toothpaste cause I know it is milder. He recommended Crest pro-health and a non-alcohol mouth rinse also by Crest. It turned my tongue blue and we got a little laugh out of that. Well..I crinkled my eyes and my mom laughed. If you want to brush your teeth I found that it is good to keep the infection in your mouth down and lessens some of the bad breath but be careful not to irritate the scabs and only swish in your mouth not in your throat. Do not use mouth wash with alcohol. You can just about imagine how bad that would burn. I felt a lot better after a bath and after I brushed my teeth. I can whisper but it is still easier to use the dry erase board. My mother insisted on my taking my meds without diluting them a little while ago. She said it was in my head that it was burning and that it was just because its hard to swallow period and that she thinks it is lessening the potency of the medicine by diluting it with water. I disagree because I am getting the same amount of medicine, just with extra in water. The medicine burns like crazy in addition to being hard to swallow because of the swelling. Does anyone have any advice on that?

I have been scouring various boards to see what other people have experienced. From what I can see my experience is pretty typical of people who have HUGE tonsils..worse than usual but not as bad as some. It seems like I am on day 2 already while most of you are on day 1. Maybe I can help some of you know what to expect since I am already ahead. Good luck to you all! Remember ice is going to probably be your best friend for the next few weeks. I already know it is mine. I can't handle anything at room temperature. It has to be cold.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
(male)

cbstinso HB User

Well, so far so good. I had my tonsillectomy at about 2:00. I was able to eat a ton of mashed potatoes and gravy tonight and a bowl full of applesauce. I did NOT expect that I would be able to do that, but I did, and without any pain! I have heard that the sooner you can eat the better, i.e. that it helps you heal fast. I hope that's the case.

I haven't even had to use the tetracaine popsicles yet. I have drunk at least 50 ounces of water and some Gatorade. I have frozen rice and cranberries around my neck, secured by the belt from my terry cloth robe. I look ridiculous, but, hey, whatever works.

It is a gruesome picture in there, though. My uvula is swollen to literally 25 times its usual size, but no swelling elsewhere is obvious. I am breathing through my nose better than I have in years!! I did not expect that, either. I think I will go to bed now and see how that goes. My plan right now is to wake up every 2 hours for hydration.

Pain: 1/10
Diet: See above. I just ate like a pig.
Feeling: Bedtime is here, and I thought I would be in considerable pain by this time, but I'm not. I just still feel drowsy and uncoordinated. No pain to speak of yet.

Good night!

Spirithawk, I am sorry you are having a rough time. I know my time is coming, but I am trying to be optimistic.

Rach, I had no crazy nurse wielding Saltines! Thank God!

Old 12-30-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
(female)

spirithawk06 HB User

I would hate for anyone to have as rough a time as I am having. I think its because my tonsils were so huge. I wish I could eat. Dad is cooking and I can smell it from my room. I doubt I will be able to eat any of it though. Groundmeat, gravy and mushooms over rice. I know that isn't the smartest thing for me to eat right now. I might go hunt down the stuff Mom bought for me yesterday.

Goodnight Cbstino and I am glad you are doing so well. Just remember that the pain might come in waves.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:16 PM   #7
(female)

RachP02 HB User

I'm glad to hear how well you're doing. I'm really surprised that you can eat any solid foods, that must be a good sign. I was all wacky when I came out of the anesthesia too. I kept trying to talk to my doctor and thank him for doing such a great job. As far as waiting for the pain to get worse, mine never really did. I was told that day 5 would be the worst (when the scabs fall off), but that was when I started feeling a little bit better. I was obsessed with looking at my throat, I was constantly looking in a mirror with a flashlight at how gross it was. And then I'd make all of my family and friends look too. (this will get you some extra sympathy & attention). Keep the updates coming!

Old 12-31-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
(female)

spirithawk06 HB User

Just thought I'd leave an update. Last night was sort of rough. I had trouble sleeping and it took me a really long time to get my meds down because of the coating of phlem in my throat that was choking me. I tried eating some ice cream - big mistake. It made the mucus sticky!

This morning Mom brought my meds in at 2:30 but didn't wake me because I was sleeping hard. By the time I woke up it was past 3 and the medicine had worn off. I knew she wanted me to try to take it without diluting it but I couldn't. It took me about an hour to get that medicine down and by the time I got it down Mom was in to check on me. The nurse told her if I am sleeping to let me sleep but personally I would rather be woken up so my pain meds don't have a chance to wear off!

I went to my doctor today to get a shot to reduce the swelling and almost passed out at the office. I am hypoglycemic and haven't been able to eat enough to keep my sugar levels from dropping. The nurse wound up wheeling me out in a wheel chair. I freaked some poor little boy out. It was kind of funny in a morbid way.

The shot helped and I can now swallow stuff without choking on it. I am due for another shot Friday morning and the nurse said to call to let her know how I was doing. I slept on the way home and then when I got home Dad had to help me up the stairs cause I was still so weak. I went straight to bed and when I woke up my meds had worn off...soo that was fun trying to take my pain meds again but this time I was able to dilute them! Thank heavens for small reliefs!

My nurse said to dilute the meds all I want with ice water and an EMT basic friend of mine said that water actually helps it get in my system faster. The nurse just reminded me that the more water I put in the more I have to drink so she recommended not putting more water than I have medicine.

She gave Mom some ideas for some stuff and told me to stay away from anything milky! I don't know if this will be the same for you but she said the milk thickens the mucus and makes it easier for you to choke. I have found this to be true so no more ice cream or slim fast for me until I am better.

Mom bought me some green apple jello that tastes almost exactly like jolly ranchers. It hurts going down but I am not choking on it and its food! I don't feel quite so weak anymore and my spirits are up a bit. She also got me some apple sauce and some other things to try including Propel fitness water and a Vitamin water without citrus acid. I havent tried anything else yet. I managed to get down a quarter of my little container of jello...I think its a bit more than a single serving. I'm taking my time and just enjoying the fact that I can actually swallow something without choking horribly on it. It still hurts bad but I can deal with the pain. My tongue is bruised and slightly cut up from the clamp they used to keep it out of the way but I heard that is normal.

Dad just poked his head in to check on me. I feel bad because it is his birthday today and New Years Eve tomorrow and my family isn't doing anything because they have to take care of me. I am determined to be able to do something fun the weekend after January 12. I go back to my doctor on that day - 14 days after surgery and then I go back to college. That should be fun. I'll have to rest up and do what I can to keep my strength up.

I hope you are doing well cbstinso!

Old 12-31-2008, 04:47 PM   #9
(female)

spirithawk06 HB User

Woah..I just went weigh myself. I was weighing about 150 lbs the morning of the surgery...I now weigh 140...10 lbs in 3 days isnt good and I just got through eating some jello and taking all my meds and drinking some water. I'm about to brave some chicken broth! Wish me luck!

Old 12-31-2008, 05:11 PM   #10
(male)

cbstinso HB User

Spirithawk, I am so sorry that you are in such bad shape. My heart goes out to you. I appreciate the update. It helps me to write, and I hope it is having some cathartic value for you, too. Please know that Rach and I are reading what you write and our thoughts are with you. Having read about your ordeal, I feel more than a little bad saying what I’m about to say about my own situation…

But, guys, this is just bizarre. I still have no pain other than when I swallow cold drinks or belch, and even then the pain isn’t even as bad as my least painful bout of tonsillitis. It has been 30 hours since I had those suckers yanked out, and I just have no pain to speak of. I don’t know whether to be relieved or scared.

As for the lack of pain, I don’t know whether I can chalk it up to my obsessive hydration, my ability to eat solid from the time I got back from the hospital, or the potent pain meds? Or all three? I still have not even used the tetracaine lollipops my doctor gave me. I am taking the dilaudids faithfully, just in case. And I will keep alternating that with ibuprofen, 800 mg, which, along with icing, has kept the inflammation down. The passage of the food over the surgery site does cause a little pain, but not near enough to make me refrain from eating.

Today for lunch I polished off what was left of the 5-lb. bag of potatoes and made myself some gravy from scratch. I am now eating sweet potatoes and craving Chick-Fil-A chicken nuggets. Dare I tempt fate?

Other than the swollen uvula (and it is very swollen), I have no symptoms to speak of. I am not going to do anything different, lest I jinx myself. I am not naïve enough to think I will get out of this without significant pain, but I am so grateful it has not yet started. The only real problem is that I can’t sleep for long. I just sleep an hour or two at a time. Last night, I had my alarm set for hydration every couple of hours, but I almost always woke up before it was needed. I was up for good at 5:00 this morning (my usual wake-up time) and I have no slept at all today. I just haven’t been tired. My mom was here keeping an eye on me, and she kept insisting that I rest, but I just didn’t want to go to sleep. The problem is that I snored for some reason, and it dried my mouth out, which, in turn, woke me up.

Rach, the flashlight views are the best I look in there and am like, “How the heck did I even breathe with those things in?” There are just two enormous caves where my tonsils used to be. Today I went to the hospital for my wife’s 36-week pregnancy checkup and I went up and talked to the pathologist that got my tonsils in the lab (she is a friend of ours), and she said they were pretty nasty.

Spirit, hang in there. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you. I wish I had some advice to give you. The only thing I can think of that might help is a good warm mist (vaporizing) humidifier. Do you have one of those? Mine seems to be really helping me keep hydrated. Of course, it is probably not as dry down there as it is up here, so that may not be a problem for you. Please keep us updated. Talk to you guys tomorrow. I hope you sleep well, spirithawk.

Regards, Cole

Old 12-31-2008, 05:12 PM   #11
(male)

cbstinso HB User

Good luck with the broth! You need the broth, so keep that in mind when the pain starts.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:49 PM   #12
(female)

spirithawk06 HB User

Lol Right now I am in pretty good spirits because I managed to get down a half a cup of cool chicken broth without mishap! It was a small victory but right now I will take any I can get! It actually doesn't hurt as bad as I thought it would but then again I had about an hour for my pain meds to kick in before I started drinking. I'm drinking about two tablespoons at a time in small sips and have been tallying up the amount that I have been drinking. It also helps that my boyfriend is being enthusiastically supportive as well over yahoo messenger. I will probably drink some more before I go to sleep or maybe when I wake up again now that I know I can handle it.

I am so glad that you are doing well and I really hope that you stay doing so well. Don't feel bad! It gives me hope to think that you are feeling better! I think the bulk of my problem is that my tonsils were enourmous...almost touching themselves in my throat before they were taken out. The shot to relieve the swelling did wonders! My uvula was really swollen as well but it was also causing whatever I tried to drink to go up my nose or I would choke. Now that the swelling is down it is so much easier for me to just deal with the mild to moderate ache in my throat as I swallow.

I took some decongestant and was pleasantly surprised that it didn't burn going down. The loretab burns if I don't dilute it but I feel so much better afterwards that I don't dare go without taking it. I just take my time getting it down and put a good bit of ice water in it.

I think I got more fluids in me today in the past couple of hours than I did all day yesterday and I feel a whole lot better. They weren't kidding when they said that you feel worse when you arent hydrated! I have been awake since 1 p.m. and I am a little surprised about that myself. All day yesterday I was in and out of sleep but I couldn't sleep more than 2 hours or so. I was looking paler than a ghost this morning but some of the color is returning to my face now.

Mmm...sweet potatoes..I wonder how long before I dare to brave that? Watch on the chicken nuggets though! Chik-Fil-A nuggets arent the softest things unless you peel off the batter.

Oh and I have cool humidifier and I have been keeping my room pretty cool. The cool mist humidifier helped so much in the hospital room and was highly recommended by my nurses. The AC I have one dries out the air and the cool mist humidifier moistenes it back up. We definitely dont have a problem with humidity down here in Louisiana but it is hot humidity at the moment and it doesnt really feel all that great.

I will definitely keep you all posted.

Happy New Years to you all!
Best Wishes
~Jerrica

Old 01-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #13
(female)

spirithawk06 HB User

Today I woke up 4 hours after I was supposed to take my pain medication. Wow that hurt pretty bad! The pain in my ears is constant even though I have taken two doses of pain meds since then. I haven't even tried eating anything even though my stomach is complaining a lot.

Last night and again this morning I broke open two small scabs along my uvula and had a bit of bleeding. It wasn't much, mostly just spotting but it is kind of frustrating because I wasnt really doing much to do that. I have had a lot of phlem in my throat and its is all yucky when I can actually get it to come out.

Right now I am trying to control the pain before I attempt to eat. I was really really tired today. I couldn't get to sleep until after 1 last night but then once I fell asleep I couldn't wake up. I slept until about 8:50 this morning, took more pain meds and then went back to sleep until after 1. I had a visitor or two but they left after a few minutes because it hurts to talk and they couldn't read my dry erase board and I went back to sleep afterwards.

I don't know why I am this tired but I guess there are a lot of factors. I dropped from 140 to less than 135. Mom says it is because I havent been getting enough fluids. I know I havent but it takes me forever to get anything down.

Right now I am trying to drink some Propel fitness water with some crushed ice to get the vitamins and electrolytes. I've been feeling pretty depressed today because I spent New Years alone last night and then today I won't be able to see my boyfriend or eat any of the food my mom cooked for New Years.

I just saw two mice scurry across my room as nice as you please. Mom and Dad came in with some traps. I could hear them earlier fussing cause the cats had caught one in the living room but had played with them and wound up letting them go. It would be funny if I hadn't had to clean the mess the mice made under my bed before I got my surgery!

Mom came in and asked if I want to try to eat some jello. I guess by now the pain is as good as its going to get. At least its not a throbbing pain like I woke up with. I managed to finish all my jello last night. Hopefully I will be able to do the same today.

Sorry for sounding so down today. I am normally a very active person and staying in bed is killing me. The few times I tried to get up I was so weak that I had to rest on things for a while to get some strength back up and it is rather discouraging to me.

I hope you are doing well Cole and everyone else reading this
~Jerrica

Old 01-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #14
(female)

spirithawk06 HB User

Ok, today I managed a good bit more fluids despite the amount of pain I was in today. I coughed up a lot of old blood and phlem. I go see my doctor tomorrow morning and I am going to convince my mom to get me some protein powder to add to some smoothies and the like because I am extremely weak from not being able to eat. Today she blended some banana and ice. I was able to get down a few spoonfulls but she made it around the time when I absolutely couldn't swallow anything and by the time my pain meds kicked in it had warmed up. I had her put it in the freezer to try again tomorrow.

I ate a container of jello and I drank some Propel fitness water. I couldn't drink much because for some reason it dried out my throat. Did anyone else have this problem with propel?

I must admit I was a bit of a grouch today and wound up in tears quite a few times because the pain was almost constant today and I couldn't really sleep. I am feeling a good bit better now though and I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow. I am getting another shot for the swelling and I am going to pick their brains for some ideas on stuff that I can manage to swallow. So far cold stuff is all I can manage and Jello is the only thing that isn't completely liquid that I can manage. Cold water has been my savior today and the only reason why I am not dehydrated is because it actually soothes the throbbing. My teeth and jaw ached something fierce today and the cuts from the clamp were bothering me. I think that's because I let myself go entirely too long without my pain meds when I was asleep this morning. I now have my alarm set at regular intervals to make sure I have my pain medication on time. I have one more dose of antibiotics for today as well. I'll take those at 12:30 when its time for my pain meds.

I hope you are feeling well Cole
Good day to you
~Jerrica

Old 01-02-2009, 04:34 AM   #15
(male)

cbstinso HB User

Hey, Jerrica. I hope the anti-inflammatory is working and that you got some sleep last night. A word about Propel: When it first came on the market, I was a big fan. I have grown to hate it for the very reason you just cited. Even when I am not recovering from surgery, it dries me out. It almost seems to be a diuretic! I chalk it up to the artificial sweetener. I just don’t get along with any of those sweeteners. My advice is to stick with plain ol’ water, and especially, in our predicament, the Glacieau Smart Water, which is just water with electrolytes added. But, yeah, I share your concern about Propel.

To tell the truth, recovery continues to be atypical for me. Yesterday, I ate three bowls of soup, a couple of doughnuts, a cinnamon roll, and two packs of my kid’s fruit snacks. In short, I may be the first person to ever gain weight after having a tonsillectomy.

I had a setback early this morning, though, and it was the first time I have felt like a true post-tonsillectomy patient. I woke up this morning about 4:00 with pain of about 6/10 in my throat and 7/10 in my ears. I was all dried out and my nose was bloody. I simply got too lax with my routine. I let my humidifier stop and the ambient humidity in the room had dropped to 35%. (I had been keeping it around 55%). Furthermore, I had been asleep since about 10:00, waking only at 1:00 a.m. to take my pain meds. This was another mistake, as I had been waking faithfully every two hours to re-hydrate. So, waking up in this bit of distress was not fun. I forced a 32 oz. Gatorade down, along with two 200 mg ibuprofen and 6 mg (1 and ½ pill) of Dilaudid. I cranked the humidifier back up, and I am almost back to my baseline of 2-3/10 on the pain scale. I do have some additional pain in my ears, though. I will not make these mistakes again. I do not want to jeopardize my ability to eat real food. I think that factor has greatly contributed to my abnormally good recovery experience. So, back to the basics:

(1) Wake up every two hours to drink, no matter what
(2) Don’t miss a medicine dose, even by a few minutes
(3) Keep the humidifier cranked up
(4) Expect pain, as I am still not 72 hours post-op

Something, I think the Dilaudid, is making me itch all over. Gold Bond lotion to the rescue! That stuff is awesome. I also took some Benadryl, which I believe may have contributed to the drying affect from which I am recovering. Anyway, the itching has been largely relieved. Last night was also, by far, the most sleep I have gotten since I gad this surgery done on Tuesday.

One side-effect of the drugs is that I am a space cadet. I have tried to work on files and read books, but I just end up re-reading the same sentences over and over again. I have resigned myself to the fact that I am just not going to be productive while recovering from this surgery… and that makes me more than a little crazy.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Hang in there, Jerrica! There is light at the end of the tunnel!! My wife has been a Godsend! Thank God for those that love us enough to take care of our whiny butts! Take care. Talk to you soon!

Closed Thread