It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
(female)

Phoebs HB User
Tonsillectomy tomorrow - anyone else this week?

Is anyone else having their tonsils out this week? I'd love to have someone to chat to and compare notes with for the next couple of weeks!

I am VERY scared about the pain afterwards. Don't think i'll sleep tonight - nerves are getting the better of me.

Would be good to hear from anyone. Thanks.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
(female)

spirithawk06 HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy tomorrow - anyone else this week?

I had mine out last week so feel free to ask anything you want. Each person's recovery is different but I hope yours goes smoothly!

I'm not going to kid you, the pain is going to be bad, at least it was for me but you'll get through it. Just drink as much as you can!

My nerves were shot before my surgery as well. I am still worried about any little thing that might break open the scabs but I'm mending well. You'll be fine!

Good luck and I'll keep you in my prayers!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
(male)

mrealty HB User

Hi Phoebs:

Yep, having surgery tomorrow as well. I'm having the tonsillectomy and septoplasty done back to back. You know, we shouldn't be here reading all this stuff LOL. I promised myself I would stay away from it the day before surgery but I was trying to get some last minute tips before I head out to buy food, humidifier, etc.

Hearing all these horror stories really sucks. I'm sure we'll be fine. I had a pretty painful surgery about 4 years ago (ruptured disk in spinal cord) so I would hope it won't be too bad compared to that.

After reading many of these posts I made sure of a few things:

1. I got liquid meds...and I stressed to my ENT surgeon that I am no baby and don't expect to be given baby strength meds. I even requested to get them *before* the surgery, not after. So I've got them right here with me now. He gave me some good stuff from what I read. I have 4 bottles of liquids:

1. roxicet 5.325 for pain,
2. Hydrocodone (generic for Lortab) for more pain,
3. Promethazine 6.25mg/5ml - for vomiting (yipee! He never mentioned that part LOL I really hope that never happens),
4. a bottle of antibiotic which is sitting in the refrigerator right now.

As long as I'm equipped with the maximum amount of pain killer, I should have things under control. I think much of the pain complaints on this board are from people who have conservative doctors who worry more about a possible addiction instead of the certainty of pain. I stressed to my doctor that I would be getting the max and he made it happen. If he didn't, I would have promptly switched to another surgeon who would.

I'm in very good physical shape, I exercise 4 days out of the week at the gym, I don't smoke, don't do drugs, nor do I have any other addictions. So I would assume I'm a best case scenario. I think part of prolonged pain/healing stems from just how in shape you are, in addition to the meds you are taking. So I'll let you know how that assumption works out for me ;-)

What meds were you given? And don't worry! Just fool yourself into thinking that you are going there for a blood test and you'll be fine. I have to be at the surgery clinic at 10am tomorrow. Since my mom is going to be taking care of me (at her house), I won't be able to post tomorrow (I'll probably be gone to the world anyway), but I'll be back to chat and hope to hear from you so we can compare notes.

@spirithawk: I will keep you in my prayers as well. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

P.S. Just remembered something that I haven't read about here on this board (but I guess it would apply more so for males than females) -- when I had my back surgery, I remember a "spike" in the pain actually reaching maybe an 8 out of 10 when I was about to leave the hospital and the nurse pulled the IV tape off of my arm! Owww!!! I don't know how you girls do it with the waxing, LOL..I'd never survive having my hair ripped out on a regular basis. So I am going to make sure they *shave my arm* before they put that darn IV tape on my hair! :-)

With kind regards,
Mark

Last edited by mrealty; 01-05-2009 at 01:15 PM.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
(female)

spirithawk06 HB User

I was pretty fit as well until I got sick so often which led to my tonsillectomy. I worked hard on keeping my health up for the months before the surgery, eating healthy, exercising and the like. I really don't know if it made a difference or not but I'd like to think it did.

I do think my doctor was rather conservative with my medicines but also your personal pain threshholds and the manner of your surgery makes a difference.

My surgery was done with a harmonic scalpel. Other types are known to cause more pain and/or bleeding.

Also my tonsils were enormous and deeper than my doctor had first thought so that affected my recovery as well. My recovery is going smoothly but the pain and fatigue has been like a roller coaster of ups and downs. It is improving daily though as long as I don't push myself too far. I am on day 7 and still stuck to a semi-liquid/very soft diet but I have cut down on my pain meds.

Good idea on the humidifier Mark and Phoebs I would HIGHLY recommend that you get a cool mist humidifier! I would have been in so much more pain without mine! It really helps keep your throat moist

Word of advice - use ice packs around your neck! I have kept mine on almost 24/7 and it really does make a difference! I am still sleeping propped up in bed with the ice around my throat and it makes a huge difference. My nurse said most patients forget about it after the first couple of days. It helps with the swelling and it with the pain! I kept my room COLD as well and just covered up with blankets elsewhere.

Well its time for me to rest. Good luck with your surgeries and I will keep you in my prayers.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
(male)

mrealty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirithawk06 View Post
I was pretty fit as well until I got sick so often which led to my tonsillectomy. I worked hard on keeping my health up for the months before the surgery, eating healthy, exercising and the like. I really don't know if it made a difference or not but I'd like to think it did.

I do think my doctor was rather conservative with my medicines but also your personal pain threshholds and the manner of your surgery makes a difference.

My surgery was done with a harmonic scalpel. Other types are known to cause more pain and/or bleeding.

Also my tonsils were enormous and deeper than my doctor had first thought so that affected my recovery as well. My recovery is going smoothly but the pain and fatigue has been like a roller coaster of ups and downs. It is improving daily though as long as I don't push myself too far. I am on day 7 and still stuck to a semi-liquid/very soft diet but I have cut down on my pain meds.
Hi Spirithawk: all very good points! Yeah, I remember my surgeon calling out some things to his assistant on my first visit...he said, "it's a 4..", and I asked, "a 4 out of what?", to which he replied, "a 4 out of 5". He was describing how large my tonsils are. Yeah, mine are huge too, but I'm not sure of the differences of the base where it connects...not sure if bigger tonsils = bigger base to cut...but I'd like to not think about those details ;-) I get kind of grossed out when I think about what they'll be doing in there. I also know he said he *won't* be using a laser.. he made some comment relating to his bad experiences using that technique. I'm really not sure what he said after that, it was several months ago.

Quote:
Good idea on the humidifier Mark and Phoebs I would HIGHLY recommend that you get a cool mist humidifier! I would have been in so much more pain without mine! It really helps keep your throat moist

Word of advice - use ice packs around your neck! I have kept mine on almost 24/7 and it really does make a difference! I am still sleeping propped up in bed with the ice around my throat and it makes a huge difference. My nurse said most patients forget about it after the first couple of days. It helps with the swelling and it with the pain! I kept my room COLD as well and just covered up with blankets elsewhere.
I heard the same thing as well about the ice packs. I am going to buy a couple more just so I can keep them on rotation..and I'll have 2 to go completely around my neck...I've heard that it helps to have a "wrap around."

Quote:
Well its time for me to rest. Good luck with your surgeries and I will keep you in my prayers.
Good to hear someone actually lived through it. :-) And it's good to hear that you sound like you are in good spirits. I hope I stay that way as well. Thanks for the prayer!

Old 01-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
(female)

spirithawk06 HB User

No problem.

Oh I remembered something else. Don't assume that you will be able to eat ice cream like everyone says.

I was unable to eat anything dairy until yesterday because anything milky -ice cream, milk, slim fast, pudding, etc. - thickens the mucus in your throat and it can choke you and it is rather hard to swallow. Some people don't have trouble with it but just keep in mind that you might not be able to eat any of it. I lived on jello for the first 3 days. My mom found me some green apple jello that tastes like jolly ranchers lol.

The packets of chicken broth from the Ramen noodle soup packets are good as well but let it cool. You might want to look for some broth that is fortified though because most of the broth my mom wound up buying was pretty much just pure sodium but at least its something more than just water. I found broth went down very easily.

The roation for the ice packs is a good idea as well. My mom wound up buying me extra because I kept asking her to refill mine. She also got the ones that have the reusable gel in it. Those helped but they dont stay cold for very long. Maybe you can find one that holds the cold in longer but the ones she got only stayed cold for about 25 minutes.

Ok lol now I really am going to sleep. The reply to this popped up just before I was about to close my laptop so I figured I'd read it.

~Jerrica

Old 01-08-2009, 03:07 AM   #7
(female)

Phoebs HB User

Thanks so much for replying Mrealty and Spirithawk. I really hope you are both recovering well.

I had the tonsillectomy Tues evening and am now being looked after by my parents (who have been an absolute godsend). I must say the anaesthetic really affected me this time (I had only one previous experience having a wisdom tooth removed a few years back, but I was fine). I couldn't sleep at all Tues night because i felt nauseous, shaky and panicky - a real anxious feeling, which actually keeps washing over me even now. I was a complete zombie yesterday and just slept all day. I realise I'm probably not drinking enough - I really need to up the amount.

So, this is officially day 2 for me and the first time i've felt like switching the computer on. So far, the nausea has affected me far worse than the pain. I can't tell whether it is a side effect of the anaesthetic, meds (painkillers and antibiotics), OR the thick saliva and vile taste in my mouth. I haven't actually vomited - I'm too scared to in case i rupture something! I also feel like I have to swallow twice to get anything down, like there's a ball in my throat or something. I ate a Calypso Icicle this morning, which was divine - got about 8 more to get through, yum yum. I will try and eat some toast later to try and scrape away anything that may be stuck there - but i'm scared to eat in case i'm sick! I can't talk much. My two little nephews came to see me yesterday and because i was whispering, they were too. How cute! lol

I'm far too chicken to look down my throat yet, but the surgeon told me it's a 'nice and clean job' with no stitches. He also told me afterwards both tonsils were yellow with tonsillitis and that i'd made a very good decision to have them out. I don't feel like that at the moment though - i keep thinking why did i do it, i feel so horrible. I guess i'm finding it difficult to keep mentally positive. I keep thinking what if i get an infection? what if i start bleeding? etc etc. I wish i could switch my brain off for a while, lol. Anyway ...

Sending you both lots of healing energy across the Atlantic!

Phoebs
(aged 33)

Old 01-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #8
(female)

spirithawk06 HB User

Do NOT eat toast! You're going to break open your scabs prematurely! Nothing but soft foods for the first few days! I still can't handle toast and I'm on day 8. Soft bread maybe but no toast! You're going to make yourself bleed.

Sorry if I sounded abrupt. I had a trip to the E.R. last night that wiped me out. I'll post more on my progress later.

I'm glad your surgery went ok and I hope you recover quickly.
Drink lots of fluids!

Take care
~Jerrica

Last edited by spirithawk06; 01-08-2009 at 10:03 AM. Reason: adding stuff

Old 01-09-2009, 12:45 PM   #9
(female)

Phoebs HB User

Day 3 and the nausea has finally gone, mainly due to the fact I have left off the pain relief today. I was able to eat Weetabix this morning, then some crisps for lunch and beef soup with bread for dinner.

Spirithawk - before discharging me from hospital, the nurse told me to eat rough foods like toast and biscuits to keep the throat clean. Seems like we've been given contradicting advice. Wish you well - sounds like you are having a tougher time. Hang in there - things will only get better!

Old 01-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #10
(female)

spirithawk06 HB User

Oh wow yeah we did have contradicting advice. I was told to steer clear of anything rough for the first few days especially toast. I was told that eating stuff like that too soon would cause premature separation of the scabs and bleeding. I was told that I should start eating rougher foods after day 7 though to help the scabs come off.

I'm on day 11 right now and my doctor asked to see me becuase I had a trip to the ER Thursday morning with a slow but steady bleed where one of the scabs came off. I had an anaphalyctic (SEVERE allergic reaction) reaction, probably to the demerol and was treated for that as well. I was given medication for the nausea because mine comes and goes. I developed sores in my mouth that makes it hard to eat and drink but the tonsil beds themselves are healing well. My doctor told me I didn't have to take any more antibiotics and not to take the medicine the ER doctor gave me. He said my scabs are 85% gone and that is good for day 11 and I am ahead of schedule.

I'm glad you are doing well. Today I have gone a full 24 hours without taking a full dose of pain meds. I had about a 1/2 a teaspoon around 3 this morning just to help with the bit of an ache I had in my ears but no pain meds since, only the gargle for the sores.

That's cute about your nephews. My 4 year old Godchild called me on the day of my surgery to tell me "I love you Nanny." I've had about 3 visitors so far but everyone seems to be sick and doesn't want to risk getting me sick, for which I'm grateful.

Considering my trip to the er and the anaphalyctic reacion, I'm feeling pretty well. Hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly. I think I'm going to go bug my mom to bake some biscuits or croissants. I'm actually hungry and feeling well enough to brave food instead of liquids.

Take care.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #11
(male)

mrealty HB User

Phoebs: Good to hear from you. Poor thing. I'm so sorry to hear how you are mentally. I can relate. Hang in there! I went in on Tuesday morning as well.

Jerrica: So glad to hear you are feeling better. Here's my update:

I should have stopped reading these posts by Saturday! LOL. And if you are about to have these surgeries, I suggest you stop reading them many days prior to your surgery - all it does is add to your anxiety. So I didn't sleep not even 5 minutes on Monday night (the night before my surgery). I really regret that.

Tuesday morning, I got picked up by my mom (don't you love mom's? I thank God every day for my Mom...I have no clue how I would survive without her!) and we went in to the clinic. Our surgeon group has a huge building they built a few years ago on the upscale side of town. They also perform surgery's at the hospital as well. So they gave me an option, either do it at the clinic or the hospital. I asked what the difference was and they said basically price (the hospital would have been roughly 15% more), so I opted for the clinic.

While in the prep room, the nurses there were soooooo nice. Seemed to want to know details of girlfriend status...think by the end of the IV and other prep they determined I'm a player LOL. (not really though). So about the needles, I have an extreme fear of needles..I can see a needle..and I can see a needle go in to someone else...no problem...but when I see a needle and I know I'm going to be stuck by one - I will promptly pass out. I have no clue what the deal is with that but..oh well..we got passed it because they made sure that I never saw it.

So I waited in a room, then they let my mom in since I had another 30 minutes before the anesthesiologist was ready. He came in, they added something to my IV and then all the girls lined up for some reason and just watched. I guess this is the part where the patients usually get "drunk" acting..but I swear it had no effect on my behavior. So I told them with a smile, "it only feels like I've had 4 beers maybe?"...so they just laughed and still waited for some fun to happen...it was funny...I guess I don't do what normal people do...then they asked my mom to leave and they wheeled me into another room. Now there were many people just standing there waiting...he added something else..and asked me how I felt..I told him maybe 12 beers now? He asked me a couple of other questions...I answered...then went black.

When I woke up...it was all done. It was strange because the last surgery I had (ruptured disk)..when I woke up it seemed like all I did was blink a couple of times...but this time, strangely, there seemed to be a time lapse..whereas on the last surgery I thought they were kidding when they said they were done.

So I was wheeled into another room...and after a few minutes, good ol' mom came in smiling. How did I feel? I felt worn out and my throat was sore. That was it. None of this crazy pain I was reading about. So then they told her I'd wait for about an hour, then I'd get dressed and leave. My mom pulled the car around and she took me to her home. Ok here is where it gets bad. I thought that I'd be back here posting the next day. Nope..and let me tell you...that was the most hellish 3 days of my life.

I was given 2 different pain meds and something for nausea. All I could do was prop up on the couch, but I could not lay down flat. I've never had strep throat, so I suppose that's what it felt like. But I guess I have a high tolerance for pain because the pain didn't really bother me much after I got home. At least it didn't seem painful for me. HOWEVER - my uvula was sooooooo freaking swollen that it was hanging down in my throat and choking me! I was gagging, nauseous, and extremely irritable. At about 2am I took the generic for Lortab and about 30 minutes later (my mom never left my side) I grabbed her arm, whispered, "BUCKET", she handed me that bucket so fast..and let me tell you..I'm not one to vomit...not even when I'm seasick. I thought, oh no, please don't let me be one of those people who vomited right after the surgery - TOO LATE. I violently vomited into that bucket, and if that weren't bad enough, I fell backwards and passed out. I awoke about 3 seconds later..my lips were cold and numb, the blood had rushed out of my head...and I truly thought I was going to die. I just could not breathe. Mom got the doctor-on-call on the phone and they said they'd prep the emergency room for me and hook me up to a breathing machine...but by the time she got off the phone...and after the vomit was out (and out of my nose)...I actually felt better...and could get air through my mouth but only if I was propped up.

I didn't sleep that night, neither did poor mom, who was terrified the entire time. On day two, I probably slept maybe 30 minutes, then awake 30 minutes, slept 30 minutes, etc. From day one- I drank like CRAZY. I had a mixture of 50% water, 50% Gatorade. I don't think there was 15 minutes that went by since Tuesday that I haven't had a drink and I still have it in front of me now.

Today, I was scheduled to get the splints out (I had the tonsillectomy, septoplasty, and turbinate reduction). For those of you who are contemplating the septoplasty - get it! It was a total joke compared to the tonsillectomy. I was unconscious when he put the splints in so when he pulled them out I saw how HUGE they were - good grief, how did he get all that crap in my nose? But guess what, that didn't hurt AT ALL. And now, for the first time in my life, I can breath through both of my nostrils!!!

After he pulled those splints out of my nose a few hours ago, I feel like a million bucks today.

I was able to eat: tons of strawberry jello! Ice cream was ok for me too. But I tended to eat more popsicles than ice cream - it just felt better. I had some room temperature home made chicken soup, split pea soup. I read that Phoebs was told to eat crackers....that doesn't sound right...what makes more sense is to eat stuff that will *gently* work down the scabs. I just can't imagine the amount of unnecessary pain you'll be in from eating crackers and hard edged foods.

To sum up issues concerning "pain": The tonsillectomy was basically a sore throat. The discomfort..now... that one is off the charts - I just can't deal with a non stop choking and gagging sensation - then the anxiety and feeling you can't breathe to add to that. The septoplasty I really forgot about. It was pretty much a zero on pain from start to finish. The stint removal was a zero as well.

To sum up what was different for me: I had very little pain in my throat - just *major* off the chart prolonged discomfort for 4 days straight. I don't have any fluids coming through my nose or going down the wrong way and my tonsils were huge. I notice no difference in swallowing fluids. I didn't have any problems with ice cream. I did have problems with stuff that "sticks" - i.e. mashed potatoes..I took maybe two little bites then couldn't do it anymore. Grits - didn't work for me. It was "sticky" as well and would stick to the back of my throat. My goal was to get something with texture (not sharp) that would rub the scabs in the back of my throat on the way down.

I still need some time to report on what happens for me with the snoring...I was pretty bad before...I hope I no longer snore now. I'll have to wait for the swelling in my throat to go down to comment on that.

I'm on day 4 and I feel like a million bucks!!! I'm sure drinking large amounts of Gatorade helped hugely. My uvula is still swollen and is gagging me slightly but..it will take a few days I was was told.

Hang in there Phoebs and Jerrica..I'll say a prayer for you.

With kind regards,
Mark

About my condition:
Male
39 years of age
Physically fit
Needle phobic
Relatively high tolerance for pain
Non smoker - no drug use

Surgery performed:
Tonsillectomy
Septoplasty
Turbinate Reduction

Last edited by mrealty; 01-09-2009 at 03:13 PM.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:14 PM   #12
(female)

spirithawk06 HB User

Whoops forgot to warn you about the swollen uvula! I had that for about 3 or 4 days as well but my doctor gave me a shot on Wednesday (Monday was the surgery) and again that Friday for inflammation and that reduced the swelling of the uvula. You sound like you have a similar experience to me but I didn't vomit. I choked and gagged a lot but managed to keep everything down.

I wound up having a trip to the ER yesterday morning with a slow but steady bleed that scared the crap out of me and my mom but it stopped and the doctor at the ER gave me an iv with some stuff to "help". Yeah I wound up with an anaphalyctic reaction. Go figure. Probably to the demerol but I don't know if it was the zofran, demerol, or pepcid. The only thing I have had before was the demerol so my ENT specialist and my money is on the demerol because you can't have that type of reaction to something unless you've taken it before.

Today, however I feel great. I was out of it for most of the day Thursday but today my ENT specialist wanted to see me and he gave me another shot for the inflammation and said my scabs are 85% gone and on day 11 I am ahead of schedule. He said no more antibiotics and just to keep using the gargle to fight the sores in my mouth. I ate some Ramen noodle soup and the only problem I had was the noodles staying in the tonsil beds but I was able to wash them out with a lot of water.

I couldn't eat potatoes on day 8 so you might wind up being like me and stuck to a semi-liquid diet for a few more days. Jello has been my savior lol! Try to find the green apple one if you like that kind of stuff. I think it tastes like green jolly ranchers. I had a strawberry, kiwi, and papaya smoothie today. That tasted really good. I haven't taken my pain meds all day and I am starting to feel human again!

My sinuses have been clear too since the surgery and once the swelling in my uvula went down I could breathe easy.

I hope you don't have too much pain for the rest of your recovery. It really was a roller coaster for me of ups and downs. Good luck and keep us posted. I'm sorry you are having such a hard time of it. You will probably be in more pain when your scabs start falling.

Oh and since we are including specifics here
I'm 20
female
College student with a full schedule of classes and field work in a classroom for my degree
Former high school athlete (softball for 10 years, conditioning P.E. with weight lifting and running and aerobics) turned belly dancer and I practice yoga and run on the treadmill a lot
no drugs or smoking
(I can't watch them put needles in either. I used to scream bloody murder but after 2 years of allergy shots I learned to just grit my teeth and stay still)

Take care and I hope you both have a good day. I just had a tonsillectomy. My adenoids were removed when I was 18 months old.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:50 AM   #13
(female)

Phoebs HB User

Good to hear from you Mark. Well we made it!! Yay!! Let’s be proud of ourselves for being brave (as old as we are) and actually going through with it. lol!

You really made me laugh about the nurses. Mine wasn’t so friendly, just efficient and very busy I suppose. I wasn’t exactly a bundle of fun myself though – I think even if Brad Pitt had walked in the room I still wouldn’t have smiled! I wasn’t offered any pre-med to relax me or anything. I wasn’t wheeled anywhere either - I had to walk from my private room to the OT in hospital nightdress (which doesn’t do up at the back – so ar*e on show), long surgical socks and trainers – gosh I looked hot, lol! Thinking back now, I have to laugh.

Being discharged after only an hour seems VERY harsh to me – I was kept in overnight – and by god that night was horrible – I wanted to throw up too, but never did – think I was too scared I’d split my throat open or something. I had a massive panic attack instead and thought I was going to die – I think I may have passed out too – I was SO scared. We obviously didn’t react kindly to the anaesthetic and I completely understand about the gagging feeling too.

Well, day 4 and I’m not feeling too bad – sickness and anxiety have diminished somewhat, but throat and tongue still quite painful. Trying to talk, but it hurts too much, I sound like Mr Bean! lol

Spirithawk, sorry to hear about your ER visit and allergic reaction – you must have been terrified. Glad to hear you are ok now.

Keep the faith guys x

ps are you both on FB?

Last edited by Phoebs; 01-10-2009 at 08:52 AM.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:44 AM   #14
(male)

mrealty HB User

Hi Jerrica:

Oh no...sorry you went to the ER. Where was the slow bleed? I had a slow bleed (and puss) coming out of my nostrils for 3 days but it was normal because of the septoplasty and turbinate reduction. They even gave me one of those nose drip pads with an elastic band that went around my head (yeah, I was looking hugely sexy :-) ). I'm assuming the slow bleed was in your throat (you mentioned mouth sores)? I never look in mine (that crap would gross me out)...so if there were a slow bleed - I'd have no idea.

You got a shot for the swollen uvula? Hmm...wonder what was in it? I was given steroid pills to take yesterday because I complained so much about my uvula. But my steroid pills are to be taken for a week...I wonder why your shot helped that fast?

I hear you on the jello. Mmm! I never really ate that stuff before this surgery but I'll be buying it more often now. Yeah I love jolly rancher's too. :-) I didn't see any flavors other than strawberry when I did my preop shopping so...I just bought a bunch of what they had.

I mentioned my details because months before my surgery, I came here for research. We are all different but there are some things that are universal in terms of experience with these surgeries. But the people describing their experiences would need to let me know some details so it would help me determine if the surgery is something I wanted to do (I'm more of a pro and con kind of guy). Some folks were posting about their experience but didn't mention how old they were...just that they were adults. And some folks said nothing of their pain tolerance...so I wanted to give as much of that info as possible. Thing is, there will be hundreds, if not thousands of people scouring this forum who are thinking about having this surgery done and this info will help them long after I'm gone.

One thing I forgot to mention is that my surgeon used the electrical cauterization method to cut out my tonsils.

I do regret that I didn't do the surgery in the hospital. Thing is, the surgeons don't care where you go because they'll make money either way, but they will make slightly more money at their clinic because they can control costs there. Hospitals are setup for you to stay, clinics are not. ** I would strongly advise staying the first night at the hospital after this surgery - this is major surgery and this is your life we're talking about here. **

As far as exceptions: I read here that there were quite a few people who had serious ear pain after surgery. I am certified scuba and can't go below 25 feet under water because I am unable to equalize pressure and the pain becomes unbearable. Also, when I am flying, my ears always hurt shortly after take off. So I thought I'd be one of those folks who had serious pains in my ears after this surgery. Well, strangely, I don't have any pain at all in my ears, so go figure. Another exception is the weight loss: not that I had any weight to lose but I did intentionally gain 4 pounds prior to surgery. So they weighed me in just prior to surgery and I was 184lbs (6'1"). Today I'm 184lbs so..that sucks. Guess I'll have to work those 4 pounds back off at the gym when I'm all better.

Poebs: you're alive!! lol good to hear from you too. I was posting my response when you posted yours. Mr. Bean!! LOL don't make me laugh...it hurts! I didn't think about that..I sound like him too... I can finally talk today but I didn't even try it Tues-Friday. FB? I created an account a few weeks ago (only for business purposes though). I can PM you my business site address (it's real estate LOL..just in case you were thinking it was like chippendales or something) and we could talk from there if you like.

Anyways, I feel like a million bucks today (day 5) and I got about 8 hours of REALLY good sleep last night (even had a really good dream). I hope you two ladies are feeling great soon. Sounds like you have loving mom's there helping you out as well.

With kind regards,
Mark

Last edited by mrealty; 01-10-2009 at 11:50 AM.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #15
(male)

mrealty HB User

Phoebs, Jerrica, how are you ladies doing today? Haven't heard from you. Hope you're doing well.

With kind regards,
Mark

Closed Thread