It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009, 07:52 AM   #1
(male)

FClegg HB User
Feels like something is stuck in my throat

So, I've started feeling like I have something in my throat. Whenever I eat, I get this feeling every time. It doesn't hurt, nor do I feel like I'm choking or anything, but I do feel like there is something in my throat. I try to wash it down with a drink, or try cough it up, but nothing happens. I'm not even sure there is something stuck in my throat...

This all started a couple days ago when I took some Tylenol for a head ache. I felt like one of the pills was lodged in my throat (who knows if this was actually the case - but it feel like it). After awhile, I started to wonder if it was all in my head, like maybe when I took the pill, I started worrying I might choke, then I convinced myself that I had a pill stuck in my throat. It didn't hurt, although I definitely could feel it. I don't remember if it was gone before I went to sleep or not, but in any case, it was certainly gone by the next morning.

But then I started having this trouble. And now it seems that it's gotten to where I feel it all the time, while initially it was just when I ate. It's hard to describe exactly. Again, it doesn't hurt, but it is annoying. It feels like something's stuck in my throat some of the times (it always feels like this when I'm eating), but other times, it kind of feels like the back of my throat's really dry, although drinking or gargling water does nothing. At times, it feels like this feeling might be originating from my tonsil.

By the way, I've noticed that my tonsil is very long. I have to open my mouth really wide to see the whole thing, and even then, I can only see it when it kind of moves up for a second because of the strain from opening my mouth so wide. Is this abnormal? Should my tonsil be this large?

Another possibility I was thinking was that I damaged something by doing all that retching, which would explain while I now feel this even when I'm not eating, although that still wouldn't explain what I feel when I'm eating.

I've probably did a poor job describing this, but I did my best. I hope someone can help me out, because I'm starting to worry, even though this is likely no big deal (I hope so anyway).

Last edited by FClegg; 01-06-2009 at 07:53 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2009, 09:29 AM   #2
(male)

alex1987 HB User
Re: Feels like something is stuck in my throat

Hi there. I had a similar thing a few years ago, with a strange sensation in my throat all the time. I went to my doctor and he said it was something called "globus pharyngeus", which is essentially a feeling of something being in your throat when it is not, brought about by anxiety/stress. Maybe it is this, check it out on g oogle.

Last edited by alex1987; 01-06-2009 at 09:30 AM. Reason: starred out word

Old 01-07-2009, 04:48 AM   #3
(male)

FClegg HB User

So it could, in fact, be all in my head? If I have this, would I need to go to the doctors to have anything done? Or do I simply need to get it in my mind that it's psychologically induced and then it'll go away?

Old 01-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
(male)

alex1987 HB User

Yeh I went to the doctors and was pretty worried about it and thinking about it all the time, but he said just chill out and stop thinking about it. There isn't any treatment for it or anything that can be done I don't think. I don't remember it being there for that long after I saw him, I think literally a few days or a week and I forgot about it.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
(female)

Lyt HB User

Me too! I thought I had something stuck in my throat when I was eating one of my meal 3 months ago. So, I went to the doctor and he gave me an x-ray.
He said that there's nothing in my throat. I don't quite believe him. I still had that feeling of something stucked down my throat. It's sooooo irritating!
I'm also seeking help! Anyway, glad that I have found somebody who shares the same symptom as me. This shows that it is all not in the mind.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

The "lump in the throat sensation" (globus) can also be a symptom of acid reflux caused by irritated areas in the esophagus.

If you have any symptoms of reflux, it may well be the cause of that sensation. You should probably see a gastroenterologist and ask about medication to treat acid reflux.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
(female)

nlbr33 HB User

OMG i have been feeling like this for the last 3 weeks!.. I cant get the feeling to go away and its just getting worse! It feels like i got a pill stuck in my throat. I don't know what i need to do to get rid of it

Closed Thread