It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 08:04 AM   #1
(female)

MyThroatIsDeath HB User
Lightbulb Post Tonsillectomy: coughing, hiccups, severe ear pain!! HELP!

Hi everyone,

So, I've been reading through a lot of these posts and they all seem to be very helpful, but none have quite answered/addressed all of my problems and I was wondering if anyone had any advice. I had my tonsillectomy on Tuesday and today is Sunday--so 6 days post-op and figures I can't get in touch with a doctor today!

I'm at the stage where I assume I'm scabbing--I was told there would be white on the back of my throat, which there is, but it's definitely much more on one side than the other. Anyone else notice this? Also, whatever that may be back there is bothering me so badly! Yesterday I took to putting water in my mouth, tossing my head back and then letting the water fall out--no gargling, no spitting--and chunks of nastiness were coming out (I'll leave it at that!). Again, anyone else see this??

So the pain in my throat I guess isn't as bad anymore, it's just everything else that's making me want to swallow the entire bottle of pain meds at once. From the beginning, they changed my dosage to take meds every hour and a half, and honestly if I go more than that time without taking meds the EAR PAIN is so severe! Any suggestions on how to make my ears feel better BESIDES heat??

Coughing and hiccuping--are they related?? And why do I have both uncontrollably!!! If hiccuping is caused by lack of eating, then I know that's the problem (I've pretty much eaten only ice chips because everything else kills), but if not then HELP! Also, how do you "avoid coughing"??? So many posts say to avoid it, but I find that pretty much impossible.

I know this is a lot, but I would greatly appreciate any help I could get!

Thanks so much!

Oh wait...I HAVE to fly next Saturday (almost 2 weeks post-op), has anyone flown so soon after surgery and did it have any affect on you??

Rachel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
(female)

jpye HB User
Re: Post Tonsillectomy: coughing, hiccups, severe ear pain!! HELP!

Hi Rachel. Hang in there hun!!!

There is also more white on one side of my throat than the other (I am on day 5, if we are counting the surgery day). I have no idea if that is normal. Mine hasn't started to come off yet so I don't know how to help you with that.

As for the ear pain... have you tried chewing gum? A lot of people say it helps a lot.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
(female)

spirithawk06 HB User

I had a lot of nasty chunks falling out like that and it constantly felt like something was stuck back there. Its the scabs falling out.

Don't use heat! The heat makes the blood vessels come to the surface and it increases the swelling in that site. Heat might be good just on your ears but put ice packs around your throat. I kept ice packs on almost 24/7 and it helped a lot with the pain.

I was told that the pain in your ears is because your tonsil beds are so close to your ears that the pain manifests itself there.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:07 AM   #4
(female)

jacluv85 HB User

i'm new on here so please forgive me if i posted this in the wrong area!!

i had tonsils taken out AGAIN 8 days ago. last night i didn't sleep at all, i wanted to but for some reason i couldn't. i think it was because i'm so hungry and everything i eat hurts. even popsicles, jello, pudding. i've managed to eat scrambled eggs and mac and cheese the first few days but now everything makes me sick to my stomach.

this morning i had what i call and episode. my ear hurt so bad!! I have NEVER felt pain so bad in my life. I was crying to my mom holding my ears, pulling my hair, pacing the floor, and praying to God. then i couldn't breathe. it hurt my throat to breathe, so i put my head over the sink and ran hot water. for some reason the steam eased up the pain in my throat and nose a little bit and my ear slowly let up. i'm on gen. vicodin but i still feel like i'm dying.

the doctor said by this time next week i should be better....was he serious??

oh and anyone have any idea what i can eat?? chicken broth (made with the bullion cubes) is what caused my episode this morning.

good luck to everyone else going thru this nightmare!!!

Old 07-20-2009, 03:25 AM   #5
(female)

Lindaelizabeth HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacluv85 View Post
i'm new on here so please forgive me if i posted this in the wrong area!!

i had tonsils taken out AGAIN 8 days ago. last night i didn't sleep at all, i wanted to but for some reason i couldn't. i think it was because i'm so hungry and everything i eat hurts. even popsicles, jello, pudding. i've managed to eat scrambled eggs and mac and cheese the first few days but now everything makes me sick to my stomach.

this morning i had what i call and episode. my ear hurt so bad!! I have NEVER felt pain so bad in my life. I was crying to my mom holding my ears, pulling my hair, pacing the floor, and praying to God. then i couldn't breathe. it hurt my throat to breathe, so i put my head over the sink and ran hot water. for some reason the steam eased up the pain in my throat and nose a little bit and my ear slowly let up. i'm on gen. vicodin but i still feel like i'm dying.

the doctor said by this time next week i should be better....was he serious??

oh and anyone have any idea what i can eat?? chicken broth (made with the bullion cubes) is what caused my episode this morning.

good luck to everyone else going thru this nightmare!!!
Hi Jacluv85
sorry to hear you are going through so much pain, it will get better I promise, the pain is part of the process unfortunately, its because of the trauma of surgery, it causes swelling which effects the nerves. Use heat packs on the ears. From what I have read it helps.
Any way I guess I will find out as I am having mine out on the 17th Aug.
Take care chin up, keep taking pain killers
Linda

Old 07-25-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
(female)

tonsils HB User

I am on day 4 of my post tonsillectomy.When I came back from theater, I was screeming( it is saw as my ears were burning).They gave me voltaren suppository, which took away the pain immidiately)The past 3 days were ok,I drank lots of coke(but sometimes it kept on going up my nostrils instead of down my throat, then I found a technique of drinking) and jelly really did the trick in soothing my throat.But today Im begining to be worried as Im feeling lots of pain, the funny part is that my tongue hurts more than anything else,well I noticed that they injured my tongue during the op, plus I think I have developed white sores(I have been brushing my teeth and rinsing with warm water and salt).Everything I put in my mouth hurts, at the same time Im feeling sick from not eating the correct diet.I tried matched potatoes and chicken, it hurts like hell, macaroni and cheese does not go down very well. I am very frastated cos I have to eat so I can take my pain meds.As Im typing this post, I have jelly and custurd, coke, mac and cheese, chweeing gums and my pain meds with me. I don't know which one will help as they all hurt.oh and the pain tablets does not make the process easy as I have to brake one pill into four parts, that means I have to swallow 8 pieces of two pills and one sip of water goes with swallowing atleast three times before I can feel the pill going down.I can't even open my mouth wide enough to see why the back of my tongue hurts so much cos my jaws are very stiff. But I hope it will get better with time, so far, the pain is not as I thought it would be before I went foe the op.

oh and I feeling like crying cos my mom just enterd with a plate of potatoe wedges and chicken, thanx mom that really helps(hahaha...)

Last edited by tonsils; 07-25-2009 at 10:47 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 07-26-2009, 04:50 PM   #7
(female)

bamk13 HB User

I just had my tonsils out a about a week ago. I am doing so much better so far. I still do get a lot of pain in my throat especially when I yawn! It is horrible. I have actually stopped taking my pain meds and have resorted to just Tylenol. But I do know what you mean about the hiccuping thing and the coughing! It hurt soo bad and I got the hiccups all the time like the week after my surgery and it was horrible. I also would wake up in the middle of the night and start coughing and it hurt so bad but I had to cough! I guess you just have to kind of suffer through the pain. I had a lot of pain in my ears as well... It basically gone now. I am just so happy that I am done and over with this surgery. I have my 2 week check up on Wednesday so hopefully he says I'm doing well!

Hopefully you start to get to feeling better soon!

Old 07-26-2009, 11:20 PM   #8
(female)

tonsils HB User

today is my day 5, I was woken up by a sharp ear pain, actually i still feel the pain, initially it was on my right side, but i can feel it starting on the other side.And last nite I was coughing so much in my sleep it was'nt funny.Yesterday was so painful in general, even during the day,the pain meds does help me a lot though, I am using voltaren Setpille(this takes away the pain almost immediately and last for about 8 hours before you can feel pain again) and I am taking synap forte tablets also for pain.

My throat is so dry though and it makes swallowing siliva to be a mission,let alone swallowing other stuff.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #9
(female)

heatheraerial HB User

Well, I had a tonsillectomy 6 days ago counting the sugrey day. I am 17 years old. And the doctor prescribed me Liquid Lortab.The first day was really hard for me. I slept most of the day and didnt eat anything. I drank a little bit of water and that was it. The night of my sugrey the doctor come in and told me that I should be eating regular food like Wendy's and fast food resturants. I was thinking in my head that he was crazy. I spent the night in the hospital. The next morning I woke up and come home. When I got home I got very sick to my stomach. I pucked all day on day two. It was the worst day so far. I soon realized that the pain medicine was upsetting my stomach and that it was the reason why I had been pucking. My mom contacted the doctor and he called me in a prescription to help me not let the pain medicine upset my stomach. I only take the pain medicine before I goto sleep, so that I can try to sleep for over an hour. Day 3: This was a better day. I ate some potato soup, mac n' cheese,etc. Day 4: I started to eat normal stuff. I realized that if I was going to be in pain I might as well eat and not be starving to death and in pain. On this day I ate Krystal's and a piece of pizza. If you eat stuff like this just make sure that you take small bites, chew very very good, and drink plenty of water with each bite. Now Day 5 is a different story. I woke up to a severe ear pain on my left side. I feel as if I am gagging on something in the back of my thoat. I can't open my mouth wide enough to see if I am getting scabs or what is going on but I am pretty sure that is what is happening from what I have read on here. I did manage to eat a hamburger and banana split. I hope that this helps and I wish anyone good luck that has this sugrey.

-Heatheraerial

Old 04-13-2011, 09:31 AM   #10
(female)

sla74165 HB User

I'm going through the same ear pain. I'm on day seven post-op and it sucks! The best this that helped me was buying a humidifier and eating plenty of ice chips. I noticed when I'm not hydrated my ears start to burn! I've also read that it isn't our ears that are inflamed but our throats that are in pain and it just feels like our ears are being burned. So try the ice/ice water combination and see if that helps.

If you're wondering what to eat, I mostly ate ice chips for the first few days. I had to stay away from ice cream because for some reason the sugar burned my throat but I was able to eat pudding and extremely soggy french toast minus the cinnamon and sugar and syrup. I also ate cream of wheat which kind of gets stuck in your throat but if you make it creamy enough you can pretty much just drink it. It allows you to get some nutrients like iron and fiber so you've at least eaten something. Oh and milk has been a life saver. I drink it when I'm taking my medicine to ease my stomach pains that the medicine causes.

Good luck to everyone! These message boards are a great help! I turned to them when my doctor said, "yea the pain is expected" but he never had a tonsillectomy so he doesn't know what we're going through!

Old 04-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #11
(female)

sla74165 HB User

Yes! I'm going through the same tongue pain as well! My doctor told me that my tongue would hurt because they use a tool in the surgery to keep it out of the way. Also with our throats being swollen I can only guess that our tongues have to be connected to that pain as well. try chewing gum... I know it might only make you hungry but it will warm up your jaws so you can open up your mouth. Oh and I know your pain, my parents keep making really good breakfasts and dinners with all my favorite meals.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #12
(female)

SweeterChild05 HB User

Wow reading all this made me chuckle everything that I am going through everyone else has gone through it the same way. I had my surgery 8 days ago. Everything hurts. My teeth, My tongue, My ear. I can't drink anything other than water. And if I try to eat anything its like my ear and throat start to spaz out with pain. The first few days I ate mac n cheese, and ensure after the 3rd day it started to feel like I was going down hill. And whats with the hiccups? I notice its like my body wants water when ever I hiccup cause it stops after I drink. -Sigh- It feels like this pain wont go away

Old 01-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #13
(female)

Jenna333 HB User

hello,
this probably isn't the right spot to ask another question but i'm sure...
and this question may sound pretty silly but,
is it a very bad idea to smoke after a tonsillectomy(even if it helps for a bit at the time of doing so) ? and how do you help ease the pain if the patient won't take the meds as often as they should?

i hope that someone has advice or answers thanks for anything you can add
Jenna

p.s. water is supposed to be good for you. just drink it whenever you feel like you should or want to . hope you get better

Last edited by Jenna333; 01-04-2012 at 01:49 PM.

Closed Thread