It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2009, 10:31 PM   #1
(female)

jpye HB User
tonsillectomy... I don't understand

Hi guys and girls. I had my tonsillectomy on Wednesday January 7, and it's now Monday January 12 (technically Tuesday the 13th but I haven't gone to bed yet so I'm not counting it). So if I DON'T count the surgery day, that means it was post op day 5. Day 6 if I do count the surgery day. Basically I have only read horror stories about the recovery from this procedure, and I have yet to experience it... so I don't know whether I should just be happy or terrified? I have pain, but it is minimal, only on my right side, and NOTHING compared to when my tonsils would swell up all the time. I am on percocet, so perhaps it is just really doing it's job, but I have been eating normal food since the day of surgery. Well the day of surgery I only had mashed potatoes because I was afraid the worst part hadn't come yet. The 2nd day I had mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, biscuits, and fried chicken. The 3rd day I had lots of potato soup and fig newtons and some brownies. The 4th day I had a cheeseburger, an egg and cheese sandwich, and some orange sherbert and some other stuff. Today I had an egg and cheese sandwich, orange sherbert, and a thin crust pizza with ham from Dominoes.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? Am I in the clear? Is the worst part about to come?? I only have a few percocet pills left. I don't know whether to ask my doctor for a refill or get brave and just get on extra strength tylenol.

Am I just lucky, or is the worst part coming??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
(female)

spirithawk06 HB User
Re: tonsillectomy... I don't understand

Some people don't have all the pain. You might get lucky and have a completely smooth recovery.

Sometimes the pain starts well after the first week of recovery. I think you should eat and drink and keep your strength up but prepare yourself in case the pain does hit you. My doctor told me that most people have a lot of pain when their scabs start falling but not always.

I hope for your sake that you don't get pain like I had. I'll keep you in my prayers and I'm glad you are feeling well.

Closed Thread