It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
(male)

Mr Bungle HB User
Swollen Throat for 4 weeks

I'm just looking for a little advice on my problem as I have no idea what I am suffering from.

I've had a swollen throat for almost 4 weeks now, since it started it hasn't changed at all, not getting any worse or better. It's not sore, I've not had a cough, my voice still sounds normal, my glands aren't swollen or tender and I feel fine in all other respects.

But my throat feels constantly like it has a lump in it, quite high up in my throat. Although I don't think this is a real "lump", it's just the sensation caused by the swelling. I've had a similar sensation with tonsilitis before (although obviously with plenty of other symptoms). I find myself swallowing a lot, and there does seem to be more catarrh than usual. Occasionally I feel an "ache" in my throat, which is quite uncomfortable.

I saw a Doctor last week, he said it did look a bit swollen but had no particular idea as to why. He prescribed Ibuprofen for a week. I just finished that course and it made no difference at all. I have an appointment to see him again next week, but I don't really know what else he will recommend and I'd really like to get to the bottom of this soon as it's becoming quite a drag now.

I'm 30 years old, have never been a smoker and am an infrequent smoker, so I know I wouldn't be considered a high risk for any kind of throat cancer, though obviously my thoughts will occasionally swing that way.

But what other options are there? Would an infection go on this long, and with no other symptoms? Is it possible I've got some food stuck in my throat or something along those lines?

Hopefully the Doctor can start the ball rolling in getting to the bottom of this next week, but I have a sneaky feeling this is one of those things that I will have to keep going back about again and again before I manage to get anywhere.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread