It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
(female)

SmilingAngel HB User
Is this tonsillitis?

Hello everybody,

I have had a sore throat since Christmas, the pain improved, but it still hurts and I have some white stuff on my tonsills. I tried to remove it with a qtip, but it didn´t work. Throat is also a bit red and my tonsills have developed some small "hole" during the last three weeks. Is it tonsillitis or just a sore throat?
I am just a bit concerned because it started a few days before Christmas and seems to "eat" those little holes in my tonsills.
I looked at some pictures of tonsillitis on the web and I am far from being that swollen in my throat.
I haven´t seen a doc, because at the moment I dont have insurance.

Thanks for any advice!

Old 01-18-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
(female)

spirithawk06 HB User
Re: Is this tonsillitis?

It could be tonsillitis or it could be some other infection in your tonsils. Those white things you are trying to remove from your tonsils sound like tonsilloths or tonsil stones. Those holes in your tonsils are called crypts and they can harbor infection. You may even have strep in your tonsils. Try gargling with warm salt water with no more than 1 teaspoon of salt per 8 oz of water. I usually put about 3/4 of a teaspoon in 8 oz of warm water and gargle with it. That might help clean out the crypts but if it persists you should try your best to see a doctor.

Oh and you don't always have a swollen throat when you have tonsillitis. Sometimes your glands swell but sometimes they don't. I had tonsillitis for quite a while and didn't have a swollen throat, and sometimes my throat wasn't even sore but I had tonsillitis. I didn't realize I had it until my glands swole up and they wouldn't have done that if I hadn't caught mono on top of the tonsillitis. The time I had it before I hadn't had a swollen throat or glands.

Last edited by spirithawk06; 01-18-2009 at 07:36 AM. Reason: mispelled words

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread