It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
(male)

bbommarito HB User
Odd Noise in Left Ear

I just started noticing an odd noise in my left ear. It occurs when I either lean my head to the left, or press along the right edge of the ear.

The sound is very hard to describe. It sounds similar to when you stretch a rubber band along a ruler as it stretches to the max, that little creak that is made by the rubber band.

Bit of history. Never listen to loud music in earphones, don't use in ear earphones (All over the ear type earphoes). Do not use q-tips (I use rinses, or just let the water in the shower do what water does) no current sinus infections, colds, anything that might block up the ears.

I did, however last month, fly cross country about 5 times. All of the times I had layovers of less than an hour, so my ears never had a chance to fully regulate the pressure again before going back up. However, did not have any type of cold of sinus issues when flying.

Since I don't have insurance ATM (Starting on the 15th) I was wondering, is this a potential problem? If it is, I will go in to a ENT even before insurance kicks in, but I just haven't gone yet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
(female)

onecool HB User
Question Re: Odd Noise in Left Ear

Hi!! I just came across your problem. I have the same weird rubber band noise that started a week ago in my left ear. I have no pain at all. It happens on its own a lot during the day. It also happens when I gently press the front or back of my ear or wiggle my ear with my fingers. It is very annoying and I don't know what it is. Have you been able to find out anything? Has your rubber band sounds disappeared yet? I've had no cold, no injury, no loud noises, etc. I thought maybe I slept on that side too long since I woke up with it a week ago. It has never happened before.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2009, 01:54 AM   #3
(female)

Elanay HB User
Re: Odd Noise in Left Ear

Hi! I was wondering if anybody had a solution to this problem? I am getting this rubber band twang sound in my left ear as well. I haven't flown or been in any places that had dramatic altitude changes lately nor have I done anything to agitate my ears in any way . . . so I don't know what causes this :[ I first noticed this when I was in the shower earlier today and it hasn't gone away since. It could be water, but it doesn't sound at all like when water gets trapped in my ear.

I hunted all over the internet and this was the only thing that came close to my search =x Can somebody please help?

Old 05-28-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
(male)

Frans Ryden HB User
Re: Odd Noise in Left Ear

I have a similar problem ever since I lost most of my hearing on the left ear about 2 years ago, due to traumatic sensoneural hearing loss. I would describe the sound as small bubbles, but I also found where someone asks about a "crackling" sound, which I thought was well put. The respondet says its due to an issue with the eustacian tube. I'm still looking for a way to recover my hearing, hope what you have are only cold symptoms, and not the onset of something worse.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-28-2009 at 06:33 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s) - please read the posting rules

Closed Thread