It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
(female)

lukenick1 HB User
Tickling in my right ear?????

I get this random tickling sensation in my right ear daily. It feels like someone is tickling the inside of my ear with a piece of string or hair. It happens randomly and drives me crazy! This has been going on now for at least a month. It stopped for a while then started again. I had a medical assistant look into my ear but she didnt see anything in there. I wondered if there was a bug in it or something. I don't want to go to the ENT for something so silly. I don't know what to do.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: Tickling in my right ear?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenick1 View Post
... I wondered if there was a bug in it or something. I don't want to go to the ENT for something so silly. I don't know what to do.
I think a bug may be a distinct possibility...and it is not silly!!! Depending upon the bug, it could cause a multitude of problems. If it were me, I would see an ENT. If they don't find anything, keep of journal about any changes in your thinking, behavior (moods), and physical activities. Don't assume that your problems (if you develop any) are related to overuse of your body, injuries, or posture...write down ANY changes since the feeling in your ear...This documentation may be CRITICAL if the docs don't find something in your ear and your health goes down hill.

Take care.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-09-2009 at 11:21 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

Well, this may sound crazy but, I have heard that if you think an insect is in your ear, shine a flash light down in your ear. The bug will then follow the light and come out. It could be something really small. No bug knows that it is going into your ear, and once in there it is dark and it might not make it back out before dying.

Why couldn't it happen? At night, a bug or small spider or gnat could crawl down in there. eeewww. I have heard of it. Even sitting outside at night, a big can even go up your nose!!

Actually I get that tickling sensation too. Sometimes I can dig out wax. That will cure it.

That is probably all that is going on. Too much wax and it needs to come out.
If the wax starts to dry and pull away from the ear canal lining, it could feel tingly.

Sometimes water caught in your ear from swimming or shower can give you an odd sensation.

Last edited by golfhat; 02-09-2009 at 03:38 PM.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

My concern would be that it might be a tick or a nit, and these are very, very small and sometimes hard to see with the naked eye. Sometimes they carry infections...that is why documenting one's symptoms may be very important.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

Recently, i've been suffering from fluid behind my ear drum, borderline infection. The doc put me on a zpak for that and a sinus infection. As i got better, the ear stopped throbbing and then started itching! at times it just felt like someone was taking a feather against my ear drum. I just kept rubbing below my ear..and it reminded me of when i rub my dogs ear! So far so good.. 2 days of no pain or itching

Old 07-18-2009, 07:06 AM   #6
(male)

perthonthetay HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenick1 View Post
I get this random tickling sensation in my right ear daily. It feels like someone is tickling the inside of my ear with a piece of string or hair. It happens randomly and drives me crazy! This has been going on now for at least a month. It stopped for a while then started again. I had a medical assistant look into my ear but she didnt see anything in there. I wondered if there was a bug in it or something. I don't want to go to the ENT for something so silly. I don't know what to do.
Hello: I have been experiencing precisely the same irritation in my right ear for approx. the past six weeks. My doctor looked in the canal and couldn't detect anything. The nurse practitioner flushed my ear three times with warm water. Then the doctor gave me an antibiotic ear drop which did absolutely nothing. So far I haven't been able to find a remedy. Have you had any luck? If so, please share your information. Thanks!

Old 10-20-2009, 11:15 AM   #7
(female)

jjrrbb HB User

Okay, so I've had this same problem for going on 25 years now (!)...been to doctors, etc., and have nearly lost my mind over it. I won't get into just how I found a solution, but the upshot is that when I learned how much I was clenching my jaw and stopped, in addition to stopping chewing gum, it went away. immediately! Talk about feeling like I'd experienced a miracle! Anyway, if it ever does begin again (which it does on occasion), I instantly know I'm clenching my jaw, so I stop and it goes away. I suspect there is a nerve that is 'triggered' by the clenching.

I had to come and post this because truly, it's saved my sanity. Hopefully it will help someone else!

Old 10-22-2009, 06:14 AM   #8
(female)

katyryn HB User

You could have ear exzema or however you spell it. my ears have been itchy insanely bad for the past couple of years. because i scratched them so much i end up with a internal AND external ear infection. there is a cream that you can use to get rid of it. ask your doctor.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:06 PM   #9
(male)

SFX Group HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrrbb View Post
I suspect there is a nerve that is 'triggered' by the clenching.
The jaw connects behind the ear and the ear goes "through" the gap over the jaw. My right side clicks and sometimes shoots pain up the canal.

Interesting ive stopped eating wheat (dropped 30 lbs in 10 weeks) but even more odd, that clicking jaw has started to heal up so it doesnt click as much...

stress can do the same thing with the jaw you need to be thinking what your mouth is doing all the time.

Closed Thread