It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
(female)

Helen45477 HB User
Question Constant Mucus in throat

This has been going on since about half a year ago.

I have a big lump of mucus in my throat every day!
thick, but clear
i've tried to spit it out, and sometimes a get a lot out
but then the next day it comes back!
i've stopped drinking milk
i've tried drinking honey with water (which temporarily worked)
but nothing is helping!

i think it is post nasal drip. but how can i help that?

after drinking honey in water, it definately thinned. but because i stopped trying to spit it out (since it didn't help before), it keeps becoming thick again

it also affects my breath
and i have to eat mints constantly/eat food

any food i can avoid, except for milk?
any at home remedies? (after eating/drinking/trying these remedies, do i need to try to spit the mucus out? )

pleaaase help!
this is really affecting me, because i'm afraid to talk because of my breath
and i constantly have to swallow, but it doesn't help anything

Old 02-12-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
(male)

crumii HB User
Re: Constant Mucus in throat

See an allergist and get tested. Allergy shots have helped me with daily thick mucus that I've had for a year.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2009, 04:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
I have a big lump of mucus in my throat every day! thick, but clear
The most common cause of what you describe are allergies or acid reflux. In your case, since you don't mention any nasal congestion, it sounds like it could be acid reflux. The mucus is caused by acid irritating the esophagus. Your body reacts to the irritation by creating mucus to try to protect the irritated areas, and that tends to cause constant throat clearing and the collection of mucus in the throat (you can have these symptoms without ever having heartburn, but if you do have occasional heartburn it's a good indication that reflux is causing your problems). Your best bet for treating this is taking PrilosecOTC (generic Omeprazole) to see if your symptoms improve. It can take 8-12 weeks to notice improvement from taking the Prilosec so you should probably talk to your doctor about it.

If you do have allergy symptoms (nasal congestion, runny nose, etc.) you might also want to try taking an antihistamine to see if it helps with the post-nasal drip.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
(female)

Helen45477 HB User

thanks for the advice!

i think it is allergies, because i blow my nose frequently and it seems like it is stuffy again after a minute or so

Old 02-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
(female)

Helen45477 HB User

i've been taking otc allergy medicine (equate) for a little while. and it hasn't helped my nose, it is a stuffy as ever, and the post nasal drip is terrible.

there is some remodeling being done in my house right now, and i suspect that the dust is making my throat mucus even more. any medicines i could take to make this better?

and what would be the best otc allergy medicine to take? because the equate medicine hasn't helped

Old 02-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
(female)

Helen45477 HB User

oo and it turns out, yesterday as i was coughing up some of the mucus,
some of it was white and had a trace of blood in it. it had the consistancy of glue

i'm not sure if this'll help anyone be able to figure out what is going on, and if it really is post nasal drip
but i thought i'd just put this out there

PLEASE, if you have any advide, COMMENT ON THIS THREAD!
i'm so tired of this!

Old 02-22-2009, 06:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

It really sounds more like acid reflux than allergies. The thick mucus is part of your body's reaction to acid irritating the esophagus, and can mimic the symptoms of allergies.

If your symptoms are acid reflux-related you really need to be on a daily acid reducer like PrilosecOTC. It will take several weeks to reach its full effect but should make a big difference.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
(female)

Kathy287 HB User

Helen,
I have really bad allergies, I take 2 meds, one is prescription but the other is OTC. The OTC one is zyrtec and they now have a generic for it. It is non drowsy and works 24 hours. I would also go the route of treating reflux. I don't have symptoms of reflux but apparently have it severe. I have had it all my life so I didn't even notice. Your body can do strange things, I speak from experience! Try these two and if you don't get any relief, try and get to a doctor, you are important!
Kathy

Old 03-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
(male)

chschmitz HB User

I have had the same problems for about 8 or 9 months now. I had an upper respiratory infection in August of last year, and was re-starting allergy shot testing in the same week. Once I recovered from the upper respiratory bout, I have had enormous amounts of thick clear mucus in the back of my throat in in my sinuses, accompanied by a constant earache and popping ears. I have tried everything from sinus rinses to Protonix for GERD and diet changes. Nothing affects it. I have had sinus problems in the past, and have battled sleep apnea. I am only about 10 pounds overweight from my ideal weight, and don't have a heartburn problem. I truly believe this is something completely different that most ENT docs can get their heads wrapped around. The fact that it started right after a bad upper respiratory problem leads me to believe something else is happening. My Gen. Practitioner said he has seen many people this year who have had the exact same problem. Almost like their mucus regulation has been eliminated. Does anyone have any insight to this problem?

Old 06-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #10
(female)

lbo11 HB User

I cannot believe I found someone with exactly the same symptoms! Let me just say that prior to all of this I was fairly healthy, I had my adenoids removed which caused recurring infections but two years later and I was never really sick. Then, I had a really bad case of bronchitis about 2 months ago and I was still having trouble breathing, so they said it is probably just turned into allergies and/or asthma. So i have been taking Singulair for about a month. I have tried antihistamines but they weren't too helpful. My allergy tests came back all clear, so that makes no sense to me at all. I was fearing that my adenoids had grown back or something because I was/still am having trouble breathing.
Finally I went to my ENT and he suggested acid reflux. This would make sense since I have suspected that I had this for years now, (always regurgitating and having heartburn). He gave me Nexium which I have recently started but I'm not sure if it is changing much. I still have this feeling of thick mucus in my throat and wanting to swallow and constantly clear my throat. I do not really have congestion but the post-nasal drip is non stop. The fact that you have had this for over 8 months is very scary to me because I keep hoping that this will just go away. I am scared because I feel somewhat helpless since most of my doctors just want to prescribe me something and make me go away or they make me feel like some kind of hypochondriac for being so paranoid. My question is, when you had that upper-respiratory infection, did you go on an anti-biotic? I have a theory that the one I took started all of my problems..

Old 06-10-2009, 11:10 PM   #11
(male)

chschmitz HB User

Yes. They put me on an antibiotic and a prednisone dosepak. I can't remember what the antibiotic was. It sounds like the original bronchial problem could be the same thing I had. It was horrible for about 10 days.

I am still taking Protonix in the event it is something to do with reflux, but don't really think it is.

I also have breathing problems, mostly at night and through my nose. My ENT/facial plastics friend says I have enlarged turbinates that swell horribly and cause my breathing to be an issue.

Just out of curiosity, what part of the country are you in? I wondered if this was localized. I am in Oklahoma.

Anyway, here I am almost 10 months later with the same problem. No relief.

Closed Thread