It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

lookinforanswer HB User
I get a lot of mucus or phlegm in my throat from laughing...

Hi,

I have something that happens to me quite frequently and has happened since I was young, I don't know why and what it is but if someone knows or can figure it out, I would like all input.

Since I was young, everytime I laugh so much, I get alot of mucus or phlegm in my throat and then I go into a cough attack and the phlegm is there for a while until I calm down and it usually goes away after a few hours.

I was watching the funniest Frasier show last night and I couldn't stop laughing, my husband asked me if I was okay because when I was laughing I had a high pitched noise as I was laughing and then here came the phlegm and the cough, I literally had to get out of bed because the coughing was so bad.

I have never really questioned this before but it is getting more frequent when I just have a regular laugh.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soibhan HB User
Re: Don't know where to post, can someone figure out???

The same thing happens to me occasionally, but I have been diagnosed with asthma and when I laugh really hard it irritates the condition and I start wheezing. Occasionally I have to use my inhaler when it gets bad, but the benefits of laughing outweigh the consequences, in my opinion. I think it's great you laugh so much. Many people take life WAY too seriously and that's unhealthy. Talk to your doctor about having a lung function test and a chest x-ray. Stay happy!
Soibhan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
(female)

anonymous2244 HB User
Re: I get alot of mucus or phlegm in my throat from laughing...

I get this too. So does my twin sister and we kind of have a inside joke about it lol. When we laugh really hard at things like a really funny movie or just something super funny it causes a phlegm/mucus cough and is super annoying and LOUD! It's kind of embarrassing and as you said takes a little time to go away. We've both had this since we can remember so I'm not sure what's causing it. I wish i knew!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
(female)

swimming4ever HB User
Re: I get a lot of mucus or phlegm in my throat from laughing...

I get the same thing all the time! I'll laugh really hard at something, and a little later I have a bunch of phlegm in my throat. It's really annoying and can be embarrassing at times. I don't know If I 've always had this, but I've been noticing it more recently. I have never smoked and I'm pretty sure I don't have asthma. I play sports and have never had trouble breathing. Why do I have this???

Closed Thread