It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 12:56 AM   #1
(female)

johnsonthompson HB User
Golf ball sized lump in neck-- NEED HELP!

My husband, who is 29, noticed a small lump in his neck years ago, but recently it has grown to the size of a golf ball. It is located right under the jaw line on the left side. We saw a doctor and she did blood work and sent him in for a ultra-sound. The ultra sound revealed that it is a sold mass, non-vasculer, its not his lymph nodes, thyroid, salivary gland, or anything. The said "we are going to have to hit the books to figure out this one" The blood work came back that he is perfectly healthy, no infection or anything. It wasn't painful, but it is now tender and and now my husband found two more lumps in the same side of his neck that he didn't have last week when we went in for the ultrasound. The doctor said now those are lymph nodes. but didn't say if that says anything about the large lump. They are only pea-sized. We are scheduled for a fine needle biopsy but not until the 17th. We don't want to wait that long if it is something serious. I don't trust the doctor that we have been seeing, but havn't had a choice because we don't have insurance and are going to the discounted clinic in town. so please someone give me some help! I'm going to call doctors tomorrow to try to get him in with someone in Portland. I am starting to freak out. please help ASAP.
Stuck in a small town with no insurance,
megan

Old 03-06-2009, 01:02 AM   #2
(female)

lisajo22 HB User
Re: Golf ball sized lump in neck-- NEED HELP!

Hi there,
I am no medical expert and you are obviously doing the right thing by getting it thoroughly checked out etc.
I just wanted to tell you about a lump I had and still have at the back of my neck. It's a little smaller than golf ball size, probably more like a walnut.
I live in France and have had an ultrasound, it was determined that it was "grissle" and no further action was needed. My lump does not hurt normally, but I do suffer with a sore neck if I am stressed or work too hard! Before I was given the all clear, the lump itself was tender, as was my neck, which I have since put down to worrrying about it.
I hope you husband has a similar diagnosis to me and try not to worry too much - easier said than done I know!
Take care Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
(female)

allison60604094 HB User

Well, I hope everything goes well for you guys.

My friend had a similar problem a couple years ago, and it turned out to be a cyst. He had a surgery to remove it, and he hasn't had a problem since; I hope that you have the same (or perhaps an even better) experience!

-Allison

Old 03-18-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
(female)

ADSUFTIN HB User

Hi

My husband had the same thing on the side of his neck a few years ago. It started to grow day be day and was very tender. He also had ct scan nad fine needle biopsy. I was present when the surgeon did the biopsy. As soon as he started to draw from the lump, he saild it looks good because the first thing that he got was water. Biposy was benign. My husband had surgery to remove the lumps and it was a cyst. So, don't worry. It is probably nothing, just a cyst. Doctor will probably say that your husband will need a surgery, no matter what. Don't panic. They will remove the cyst and that's will be it.

A few years ago I woke up with a hard lump on the back of my neck. Pretty big. I went to my PCP and he said that I probably had my lymph node got infected and just like froze. He said nothing to worry about. No tests, nothing. I trust my pcp completely. I had this lump for 2 or 3 years and then one day it was just gone.

You have to trust your doctor.

Good luck and please don't freak out. Let us know how you're doing.

Alexa

Closed Thread