It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
(female)

tonione03 HB User
tonsillectomy to diagnose tonsil cancer

I recently had a tonsillectomy on Monday of last week. The reason for the procedure is so that my left tonsil could be sent to a pathologist. My left tonsil has been abnormally bigger than my right for several months now. Previous attempts to shrink the tonsil by use of antibiotics and then steroids proved ineffective. I am anxiously waiting for the results. Has anyone else undergone this procedure in order to rule out cancer?

Old 03-09-2009, 07:02 AM   #2
(male)

gpcivil HB User
Re: tonsillectomy to diagnose tonsil cancer

How much bigger is your tonsil? I have had a much larger right tonsil for years that doesn't seem to get any bigger or smaller. I seem to get tonsil stones in it at least once a month as well. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
(female)

tonione03 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpcivil View Post
How much bigger is your tonsil? I have had a much larger right tonsil for years that doesn't seem to get any bigger or smaller. I seem to get tonsil stones in it at least once a month as well. Thanks
I first noticed it in August of 2008. It is per the doctor approx 4 times bigger than the right tonsil. My tonsils have always generally been tiny. In fact I've never really noticed them before these last few months. I've never even had tonsilitis or strep that I'm aware of.

I'm thinking that if one of your tonsils is bigger than the other and has been so for several years and you've had no issues then maybe it's just something that happens.

I just wish I knew what else it could be.

Thanks for your response.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
(male)

gpcivil HB User

Thanks for the quick response. I wish u the best and please let me know how it goes.
What are some of your other issues if you don't mind me asking?
Take Care

Old 03-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #5
(female)

tonione03 HB User

No problem.

As far as other issues. I have a swollen lymph node underneath my chin that has been there just as long if not a little longer than the monster tonsil. It is pretty firm and doesn't really move around too much. I don't think it has grown much but it sure hasn't gotten smaller either.

I have been feeling very tired the last several months. Sometimes I feel like I can barely move. But that could be attributed to the fact that I run my own business and I'm a single mother..go figure ;p That could make anyone feel tired. It's just something about the "tiredness" that feels a bit heavy.

Other than the above nothing I can really point too.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
(male)

gpcivil HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonione03 View Post
No problem.

As far as other issues. I have a swollen lymph node underneath my chin that has been there just as long if not a little longer than the monster tonsil. It is pretty firm and doesn't really move around too much. I don't think it has grown much but it sure hasn't gotten smaller either.

I have been feeling very tired the last several months. Sometimes I feel like I can barely move. But that could be attributed to the fact that I run my own business and I'm a single mother..go figure ;p That could make anyone feel tired. It's just something about the "tiredness" that feels a bit heavy.

Other than the above nothing I can really point too.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
(male)

gpcivil HB User

I think I have had a swollen node as well for a couple years on the same side but have attributed that to constant sinus infections and allergies. Have u been a smoker in the past and what about your age group?

I wish u the best and please let us know how it turns out. Take Care...

Old 03-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
(female)

tonione03 HB User

Quote:
I think I have had a swollen node as well for a couple years on the same side but have attributed that to constant sinus infections and allergies. Have u been a smoker in the past and what about your age group?

I wish u the best and please let us know how it turns out. Take Care...
I've smoked for the last 7 years. I recently quit when I had my tonsillectomy. I figured now would be as good a time as any. Since I couldn't smoke directly before or after the surgery. I'm going on Day 11 of no smoking. Honestly it hasn't been so hard since I'm still recovering and all I want to stop is the pain I feel from the surgery. Smoking is the last thing on my mind. Oh and I am 26 years old.

I get the pathology results tomorrow morning. My doctor already told me if he had to bet his last dollar he would bet nothing is wrong. I am still feeling anxious however and can't wait to get it over with.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:10 AM   #9
(male)

gpcivil HB User
Smile Re: tonsillectomy to diagnose tonsil cancer

I can understand your anxiousness. Please let me know
How it goes.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
(male)

gpcivil HB User

Tonione
Hope u had good news!! Fill me in if u can....Thanks

Old 04-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #11
(female)

tonione03 HB User

Quote:
Tonione
Hope u had good news!! Fill me in if u can....Thanks
Hi Gpcivil,

Sorry it took so long to respond back about the results. I received good news. No malignancy was found I was pleased to hear that of course. However I was a little surprised about the reason they gave me for the enlargeg tonsil. Chronic Tonsillitis. HuH? That was my response seeing as I've never even had tonsillitis and the tonsil that was enlarged didn't hurt in anyway.

But oh well Iam just happy for it to be over and done with. The pain from the tonsillectomy was hell but I made it through.

I hope your doing ok!

Closed Thread