It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
(male)

vwlssknght HB User
Pressure in Ears, HELP!

I'll try to make this as brief and as concise as possible.

About 5 years ago, I experienced an intense itching deep inside my right ear, which seemed to be felt high up inside my throat, as well. After five minutes, or so, it went away. The next day, while sitting behind my computer, that ear slowly began to plug up to the point where all sound was very muffled and tinny.

I've always been able to pop my ears without a problem, but when my ear plugged up, I wasn't able to do so, not completely. I went to urgent care, where the doctor saw fluid behind my ear. I was given antibiotics and after four or five days I was able to pop my ears again, BUT when I did, the right ear sounded like it was sticky, if that makes any sense, almost as if the opening was being held partially shut with glue. I had never had that happen before, in all the years of having cold-related plugged ears that eventually popped open when the cold resolved.

My hearing was back to normal.

About three years after that, the problem reared its ugly head again, though this time affecting my left ear as well as my right. Same deal: I went to the doctor, they saw fluid behind one ear, gave me some more antibiotics and after a few days, I was able to pop my ears open. And, once again, my hearing was back to normal.

Now, two months ago, give or take, I started experiencing the itchiness deep in my ears/high in my throat and started developing a sensitivity to loud noises, more so in my right ear, it seems. Sometimes my left ear will sound plugged, but if I put my finger in it and form a suction, it seems to get better. However, my hearing seems sort of muffled, or at the very least, I'm having trouble picking up lower tones. The odd thing is, I am able to pop both ears, but I feel a lot of pressure in both of them. I notice it quite a lot when riding in the car, even on a level road. I also notice an uncomfortable pressure in my ears, as if the ear drums are bulging, when I burp without opening my mouth.

Here's something odd, at least I think it is: I find that when my ears are feeling a lot of pressure, if I put one of those soft, foam earplugs in them (the kind you pinch to insert), leave them in for thirty seconds to a minute and take them out, my hearing seems completely normal in that ear and I notice just how full/pressurized the other is.

I've been to two ENTs now and neither saw any fluid behind either eardrum, nor any redness or swelling. I'm scheduled to have a hearing test next week, which I hope includes the tympanogram, but am not so sure.

Can anyone here explain this to me? It's been almost two months now and the quality of my life is on the decline because I'm so anxious about these fluctuating symptoms.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by vwlssknght; 04-06-2009 at 01:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread