It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2009, 01:19 AM   #1
(male)

plmkop100 HB User
Coughed up a soft yellow blod that stinks

I had a bit of a cold that seemed to disappear very quickly (after 1 day) then came back and although it wasn't a bad one it seemed to linger for more than the normal week.

Then I got a cough and a tickly throat which resulted in me coughing up a small (about half the size of a pea if that) yellow blob. While examining it, it was soft and easily squashable but when I smelt it it was rancid and smelt like halitosis.

I have done a bit of research and can find a lot on tonsiloliths (not sure if I have spelt that correctly) which generally seemed to be hard and larger that my symptom above so I'm not convinced I am suffering from this but I will get a torch, a mirror and emply some gentle tonsil prodding action tonight just to make sure!!!

I tend not to get colds very often since giving up smoking over a year ago. I don't drink a massive amount of alcohol, I eat healthily (lots of fruit and veggies), drinks a reasonable amount of water every day, I exercise and am in pretty good health.

I know that at some point I had, and think I still do have BB/halitosis. I have good dental hygiene and don't eat spicy/garlicy food and I don't consume a lot of dairy products so unsure why I would suffer from it, but have learnt to live with it. Hopefully it's not massively offensive.......

Anyway, I suppose the first question is what was the nasty yellow blob I coughed up and could this be a symptom of BB? And the $60m dollars question how can I get rid of BB???

Any help and/or advie would be greatly appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: Coughed up small yellow blob that stinks!!

Most likely, it is a harmless tonsil stone...many of us have them...

Bethsheba

Old 04-15-2009, 12:50 AM   #3
(male)

plmkop100 HB User

By the sounds of it tonsil stones are hard and bigger than what I had so not convinces it was a tonsil stone. I have seen a few references to the smaller softer cough ups by nobody seems to be able to say what they are.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 04-15-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmkop100 View Post
By the sounds of it tonsil stones are hard and bigger than what I had so not convinces it was a tonsil stone....
Not necessarily...there doesn't seem to any standard size...I've some as large a small dried pea, and some smaller...and sometimes they're white, sometimes yellow, sometimes hard, sometimes very soft, but they almost always smell very bad, especially if you squish them.

Bethsheba

Old 04-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User
Re: Coughed up a soft yellow blod that stinks

Sounds like a tonsil stone to me. I had horrible tonsilitis and my tonsils were full of them. I used to press on my tonsils with a Q-tip to push them out of the craters because they hurt when in there. They sound exactly like what you describe. They aren't really a "stone"- they can be crushed with your fingers, they are usually yellow or off-white, and they stink to high heaven.

If your tonsils are cratered, you probably need to have them removed.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:13 AM   #6
(male)

KatieMomma HB User
Re: Coughed up a soft yellow blod that stinks

Tonsilloliths - or tonsil stones - are exactly what they are. They vary in size, shape and consistancy but one thing remains constant - the stench like a dead animal!

Closed Thread