It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
(female)

saratron HB User
possible link - tonsil stones and GERD / acid reflux / LPR / stomach problems?

So, I have tonsil stones and chronically infected tonsils that have gotten worse over a bout the last year. I am scheduled for a tonsillectomy. I have also developed burps and a bit of acid reflux/indigestion/acid coming up into my throat at night time. I am trying to control this through diet and on no meds for it at the moment. As tonsil stones are a sign that the tonsils (which are part of the immune system) are not working properly to keep germs out, and as they have become infected chronically (making me feel run down and tired a lot of the time).... is there any possibility that my body is trying deliberately (with little luck) to destroy the germ sacs in my throat by making too much acid from the stomach and pumping it up into the throat??? Stomach acid does have a role in killing germs on food to prevent infection if they get past the tonsils? What do people think? I apologise if this link has already been discussed, it just popped into my head though...

Has anybody out there had tonsils removed due to chronic infection/tonsil stones and had significant reduction/change in acid reflux or an improvement in their digestive system? Hmmmm!

P.S. I also have a very low white blood cell count at the moment, which the doctor says needs investigating before I have my tonsils out - has anyone else experienced this? I am hoping it is low as all the white blood cells are trying to fight the infection in my tonsils (which is currently pus-filled, smelly and bleeding slightly at the moment...grrrr I just want them out!!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
(male)

martyboots HB User
Re: possible link - tonsil stones and GERD / acid reflux / LPR / stomach problems?

your infected tonsils are being caused by ur LPR reflux. ur problem is both ur spincter muscles are loose and not functing properly.
i have the same problem. u need meds. proton pump inhibitors. to cure lpr.
and antibiotics for 6 weeks to cure ur tonsils and tonsils stones.
if these dont work after 6 months then get the operation to tighten ur spincter muscle in ur stomach and throat.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:00 AM   #3
(female)

saratron HB User
Re: possible link - tonsil stones and GERD / acid reflux / LPR / stomach problems?

martyboots - how do you know that it is reflux causing the tonsil problems and not the other way around? just interested!! what would make the valves too loose? the only thing i have taken around the same time this all started for me 9 months ago was a course of an antibiotic called azithromycin for food poisoning. what do you suspect triggered your reflux? i am other wise so healthy diet and exercise wise, and I am only 29 too and female, which makes me such a low risk for acid reflux, unless it is triggered by a bacterial or viral infection in the first place. i am scheduled to have my tonsils out in 3 months rather than fuss about with antibiotics as i believe they can do a lot of damage to your body (although i understand that tonsillectomy is also a major op!)

even drinking water at times will make me belch though or have hiccups or trapped gas in my food pipe for ages.
lets compare stories and see if we can get to the bottom of this!
thanks. also - how is antibiotic treatment going? do you not feel that as soon as you finish the medicine you may get another infection or it may come back again? stomach acid should KILL all germs - that is the point of it so i dont understand how reflus CAUSES tonsil infections....

Old 06-22-2009, 06:01 AM   #4
(female)

saratron HB User

also - i have had treatment for H pylori - finished it about a month ago - i was on PPI (omezaprole) for one month which did nothing for me interms of belching/acid taste in mouth so i dont believe it is at all effective for my "condition".

Old 01-28-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
(female)

Janaenae HB User

Hey there,

I'm not sure if you will get this, since this posting is over a year ago, but I pretty much have had your exact same symptoms. I developed some sort of chronic burping condition, combined with inflamed tonsils/tonsil stones. I ended up getting my tonsils removed, thinking that would solve my problems--it didn't. I have a hypothesis as to what is going on with us, but reply first so that I know that you are still on here!

Janae

Old 01-29-2010, 03:18 AM   #6
(female)

saratron HB User

hi i am booked in to have my tonsils out in 3 weeks....has it improved your health at all??

Old 01-29-2010, 03:43 PM   #7
(male)

martyboots HB User

buy betanine HCL and HCL activator

amazin
this has cleared up my tonsils- no more tonsil stones (:

it hasnt cured me yet but its been fantastic , takes a long time to fix but its def working

i still have thick mucus in throat . it affects my voice. and is very uncomfortable. and my eustation tubes are still closed/ messed. also mucus in sinus.

my stool is strange very loose most of the time and get blood sometimes, i also get a lot of burping and gas. got lots of anxiety, my concentration is bad, im kinda in a daze most of the time ??? its all very strange

if anybody can shed some light on my symptoms or just talk about ur own it would be great,

its been 3 years and i just want my life back ):
good luck to all

Last edited by moderator2; 01-29-2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 01-30-2010, 02:05 AM   #8
(female)

saratron HB User

i have been trying apple cider vinegar - has anyone tried this. some before every meal is supposed to help with digestion and reduce burping.
Ive also got a thick white coating on my tongue which is sometimes yellow at the back which a doctor said is due to acid reflux or sinuses. My mouth also tastes horrible most of the time but it is not acidic at all, more of a mushroomy/old foody taste! I have great dental care and oral hygeine so it is not coming from my teeth!

I am going for a 24 hour pH acidity monitoring test on Monday to see whether I am actually burping up acid or not. The result will decide whether I go on a proton pump inhibitor e.g. omezaprole 40mg per day or not.

Have you tried acid suppressant medicine? I am unsure as to whether this will help or not as an alternative theory as that we do not have enough acid therefore are not digesting our food well enough so it builds up, ferments, backs up and causes acid reflux and weakens the lower oesophagal sphincter causing continuous burping and gas escaping.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-30-2010, 12:21 PM   #9
(female)

Janaenae HB User

Alright, so, this is going to kind of come as a shock to you, but you guys really have got to give up your attachment to conventional medicine, because if you even present this hypothesis to them, they will not even consider it. If a doctor does not even CONSIDER this as a problem, they are most obviously IDIOTS. Even if I think I'm pretty sure about something, I always still have my doubts. Now, you can take whatever I have to say as complete ********, but I can pretty much guarantee conventional medicine will not, and has not done anything for you that will be beneficial. Medicine is a for-profit industry, and you'll spend thousands of dollars getting tests that will hardly show results.

One of the things you must do is consider your healthy history. Have you been on birth control pills? Have you taken antibiotics? Do you smoke cigarettes? Any drug abuse? Frequent yeast infections? Chronic fatigue? Brain fog? Antidepressants? High sugar, high refined carb diet?

Antibiotics, birth control pills, drugs, cigarettes, antidepressants all disrupt your intestinal flora and KILL OFF all of your good bacteria in your gut. When this happens, it can allow candida (yeast) to overgrow, which is also naturally present in your gut, and all throughout your body. The good bacteria keep it in balance, but like I said, if those get killed off, candida will proliferate. It can take a while to develop, but once candida starts having a party in your intestines, it can develop roots, and dig down in your intestinal lining. Then, what develops is a "leaky gut" in which the toxins from the candida swim throughout your body, causing fatigue, brain fog, and the like. This will obviously disrupt your digestion, screw up your enzyme productive capacity, a well as the acid levels in your stomach. Most likely, it will lower the acid levels in the stomach, and burping is characteristic of low acid levels in the stomach, poor enzyme production, and fermentation in the gut (since the food is not being digested properly all throughout the digestive tract, food will ferment).

As we can see, this causes a wide range of health problems. Typically, conventional doctors do not seem to think this make sense, but that's only because they are not really trained in holistic health, or the problems that candida can cause.

I had my tonsils removed because, like you, I was getting nasty tonsil stones, I always had a weird coating on my tongue, and I thought that they might have something to do with my chronic burping, fatigue, and all around digestive problems. My tonsils had always been large, but had never really had problems with them before. I figured they may have just turned bad on me. I got them removed, and spent two weeks in utter agony (worst pain you'll ever experience in your life). I had to be on roxicet, which is essentially liquid oxycodone for 10 days straight, and let me tell you, THAT messes with your digestive system, MAJOR. Not to mention, it most likely killed off any good bacteria I had left in my digestive tract. After I stopped taking the stuff, I went through withdrawals for 4 days, and could not sleep. I am definitely glad that I don't have to deal with nasty tonsil stones anymore, or my giant tonsils (I can actually swallow 4 pills at a time), but it is clear that my tonsils were not the root of my problem. Apparently, your supposed to take antibiotics after you get them removed in order to prevent infection, and I took one dose of those things and got full blown THRUSH in my mouth--even worse than the coating I had before. This made it clear to me that the yeast was ready to proliferate.

As far as proton-pump inhibitors go, I don't believe they are the answer. Answers cannot be found in a pill, and this will most likely cause worse problems in the future. I took them for a short period of time and they did nothing for me, most likely because high acidity was not my problem. And we need our stomachs to be acidic!

Now, this is the part that is going to be really difficult to accept, if you do happen to take what I'm saying seriously. In order to rid yourself of yeast, you must, give up sugar in all forms. You can't eat bread, you can't eat a lot of things. This is because the yeast feed on this stuff, and if you crave sugar a lot, this is why. While doing the candida diet, you must take antifungals. Most pharmaceutical antifungals cause life threatening side-effects, besides Nystatin and Diflucan (although there is a risk of liver damage). It's rare that you'll find a form of nystatin without sugar in it, which doesn't make sense to me because it's kind of counterproductive if you want to get yeast. If you can try to find it in powder form that would be ideal, but you have to take it for a while. Natural antifungals like grapefruit seed extract, oregano oil, and many others, you will also have to take for a while. In order to get better, you have to make a commitment to getting better and it will take a long time depending on the strength of your immune system and how long you've been treating your body badly. It will be hard, but the best thing I can offer are these sources in which you can do your own research and find the support you need.

A great book called The Yeast Connection by Dr. Crook.

If you need anything else, just let me know!

Last edited by moderator2; 01-30-2010 at 03:21 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

The Following User Says Thank You to Janaenae For This Useful Post:
bimik (03-18-2011)
Old 01-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
(female)

Janaenae HB User

Oh and I forgot about probiotics! They are essential! And I have no idea where you guys live, but I live in a place where I have access to a lot health food stores, so I hope that you guys have those options. If not, you can always do a lot of ordering.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:23 PM   #11
(male)

martyboots HB User

i was booked to get my tonsils out then found this
dont get ur tonsils out. phone ur surgen and put it back 2 months .
honestly try the HCL and the activator
and also eat some digestive enzimes with ur food .

u will be so glad . give at least 1 month i recommend 2 - 3 months tho. u will be amazed

good luck

Old 06-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #12
(female)

saratron HB User

hi again. i have had my tonsils out, tried PPIs since my last post and I am still no closer to feeling better. I have recently been diagnosed with granular pharyngitis too (permanent sore throat) and teh ENT doc said he had no idea what causes it or how to treat it. HELP! I have tried cutting out gluten and refined sugar but it seems to make no difference.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

SureBett HB User

Not sure if any of you are around reading this but just in case, I also had my tonsils removed in late April, I thought what I was having was the cryptic tonsils causing all my problems....i knew I had allergies, but the ENT's never said anything about the possibility of acid in the stomach...

Let me tell you, after having the tonsils removed, i went through a horrible experience of fatigue, body temp flucations, so bad I couldn't leave the house for weeks...I had lab work done...had low thyroid, and hormone issues, but still not sure if that was why I was having asthma symptoms etc..

What I have learned since then is that I do have an esophagus narrowing and hiatial hernia, which has been keeping acid coming up which in turn kept mucus in my throat, which could have made the tonsil stones, which were smelly and horrible...my ears felt clogged all the time....etc...

I found out, I do not have asthma....I started drinking this aloe vera juice I heard about on here, and in 24 hours, I no longer have mucus stuck in my throat, and I can breath....I do not feel the vocal cords closing up and having breathless attacks that made me feel I needed to go to the ER....I am sure the acid was the reason that the vocal cords were irritated, as well the doctor told me the same thing...and since the mucus has gone down, I can breath...it was getting so bad I had to spit it up constantly....things got worse after the barium test....

I do believe that acid does affect the tonsils, and the ears will then be affected...since my tonsils have come out, while it was a horrible surgery, I no longer have such clogged ears....I am on thyroid med, and a stronger HRT patch....I have gained some more energy and do not feel as lethargic, but the acid/mucus issue was is one bad one, that I am still not sure how it will get resolved or if...

But what I can say is this aloe vera juice has helped more than anything I have used in three years for this mucus excess that has been in my throat....and now I know that what I thought was asthma, is not.....

I hope the original poster is doing well with her tonsils being gone....I was also told that I was feeling so fatigued because of low grade infection of tonsils....but I didn't feel that getting them out improved that....it may be getting the thyroid meds started and better HRT....I still have a ways to go with this....when it rains, it pours

Old 11-11-2010, 12:26 AM   #14
(male)

limoncello HB User

Hi there,

I don't suppose anyone will be reading this anymore...but I have had a similar experience. Tonsil stones, nasty reflux, high dosage of Nexium for three years (40 mg, twice daily), Pariet before that, and years of TUMS before that even, starting in my mid-teens. Had a GI scope done, no damage, but I'm not a good candidate for surgery even tho I have a hernia and a sphincter that doesn't work (my dad has the same problem so it's partially hereditary). Things got really bad when I started waking up in the middle of the night, choking on stomach acid...flailing around. Trust me. That's one scary way to wake up.

Nexium wasn't helping with that at all. I propped my bed up. Still happened once in a while. Started sleeping on the sofa, sitting almost straight up (propped up against piles of pillows). The doctors couldn't help me except suggest stronger Nexium dosages.

Started reading up on PPI side-effects, etc. and that in itself scared me. I realized I needed to see if there was anything outside conventional medicine that could potentially help me.

I ended up finding a naturopath who decided to treat me for Candida (I was willing to try anything at that point) -- and it worked. Stopped Nexium cold turkey (after years of use at high dosages) and started taking anti-Candida pills together with acidophilous 3 x a day. No sugars, processed foods, yeasts, mushrooms, etc. for a month.

I ended up losing enough weight over a 6 month period that people who haven't seen me for awhile don't recognize me...and others call me skinny now. at first, i hated that because i've always been a solid, muscular kind of guy, and now i'm scrawny. but i eat like a horse 3 times a day, so it's not like i'm starving or anything. i'm just eating healthier than i've probably ever eaten in my entire life.

The biggest bonus is that I almost never have heart burn. The only time I do is if i eat anything out of the ordinary...something that's greasier or has red peppers in it (which kill me).

The naturopath really helped me more than anybody. I'm happy that the conventional doctors assessed my general health and found the hernia and the lax sphincter and didn't notice any damage to my esophagus...but it was the candida diet that really cleared up the heartburn.

Unfortunately, my biggest problem now is that I cannot sleep lying down (my fear of choking is too strong -- and whenever i lie down for any length of time, i immediately detect acid...).

So, for anyone considering going cold turkey or doing anything drastic (like tonsillectomy), consider seeing a naturopath first -- and see if a candida diet with proper pills won't help you. in the long run, you'll probably need to totally overhaul your diet.

also, for the occasional heartburn, DGL pills work all right. whenever i eat something i think might cause problems, i take digestive enzymes, and that tends to help. also, my mom, a long-time user of TUMS, discovered Swiss Herbal Acid ReDux chewable tablets and loves them. She gets heartburn occasionally, is essentially vegetarian and a super healthy eater (no coffee, alcohol, super fatty foods, etc.).

Finally, as for my tonsil stones, i haven't noticed them much anymore. i used to get them really really bad though. i almost forgot about that until i saw this thread.

Good luck to everyone!!! I enjoyed reading your comments and can totally sympathize with your struggles!!!

Old 11-11-2010, 03:43 AM   #15
(male)

Seeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB User

Did anyone's LPR begin with a cold? Did you ever get over it or manage it if it stared with a cold?

Closed Thread