It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
(female)

Froogles HB User
Intense, sharp earache

For the past few years I've had an occasional (few times a month) very intense earache. It only happens during the evening hours and it usually hurts so bad I don't want to go anywhere or do anything. I go to sleep and it's gone by the morning.

I went to my doctor about it and I don't have an inner or outer ear infection - she gave me meds anyway saying maybe the infection is subtle enough to not pick up, The meds didn't help.

It's been getting significantly worse as of the past few months. Now I get it about once a week. My dentist suggests that I clench or grind my teeth at night. This doesn't make sense to be because the onset of the pain isn't until evening hours.

I'm reading about wax build up.. if that was the case, wouldn't the doctor have seen that when she examined my ears? Or maybe I do clench my teeth? Any ideas?

Old 06-14-2009, 11:17 PM   #2
(female)

acne_sufferer HB User
Re: Intense, sharp earache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froogles View Post
For the past few years I've had an occasional (few times a month) very intense earache. It only happens during the evening hours and it usually hurts so bad I don't want to go anywhere or do anything. I go to sleep and it's gone by the morning.

I went to my doctor about it and I don't have an inner or outer ear infection - she gave me meds anyway saying maybe the infection is subtle enough to not pick up, The meds didn't help.

It's been getting significantly worse as of the past few months. Now I get it about once a week. My dentist suggests that I clench or grind my teeth at night. This doesn't make sense to be because the onset of the pain isn't until evening hours.

I'm reading about wax build up.. if that was the case, wouldn't the doctor have seen that when she examined my ears? Or maybe I do clench my teeth? Any ideas?
You should have your ear blown with a siringe. Maybe you have water from the shower stuck in there. It also could be teeth grinding. I grind my teeth at night. In that case, you should have your dr make you a mouth guard to wear at night

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2009, 11:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

That is puzzling and yes they can see if there is any wax or anything foreign when they looked in your ears. Don't have to flush it out plus it might cause more harm than good if it is something. I think there is something going on and I would seriously find a good ear/nose and throat Medical Doc. to do a complete workup. I would push to have a CAT scan done of your head to be sure it isn't some sort of tumor growing. The best advise is to keep a log/journal of when the pain comes...note the time/date and what you did and ate that day....so when you do get to see someone that will order you that CAT scan you can also speak intelligently on exactly the dates/times of each and every occurrence and how you were feeling at the time. Good luck but don't just let it go insist on a CAT scan or MRI and can see if there is anything there.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:52 AM   #4
(male)

Lioncub HB User

Look up bruxism; check into a mouth guard (inexpensive ones can be had at drugstores).

Hold off on expensive procedures like MRIs, CATs until you've been checked for other things that don't require imaging diagnostics. That over-use of imaging procedures is one reason why healthcare is so darned expensive now!

Also, the facial nerves can indeed mimic earaches, particularly the seventh cranial nerve where it enters the skull at the pons. Perhaps check with a neurologist as well for nerve conduction studies. If you have a history of chickenpox, intermittent swelling can cause nerve pain. The chickenpox virus likes to hide out dormant in nerves.

Last edited by Lioncub; 06-20-2009 at 12:54 AM.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
(female)

VA_girl HB User

I have similar symptoms which include occassional tinnitus and noise sensitivity. I know I grind at night and some doc's think it's just that. But these symptoms can mimic possible vascular problems or tumors. So I'm going to see an otoraloargist (neurologists are good picks too) to get some tests done to rule out anything immediately serious, b/c my symptoms started out mind and have been getting worse this year. And I'd still get the night guard to protect the teeth but that wouldn't help the ear problem, just protect the teeth from the nightly grind. Good luck!

Closed Thread