It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 06:16 AM   #1
(female)

jacluv85 HB User
Question second tonsillectomy...PLEASE HELP ME!!

i had tonsils taken out AGAIN 8 days ago. last night i didn't sleep at all, i wanted to but for some reason i couldn't. i think it was because i'm so hungry and everything i eat hurts. even popsicles, jello, pudding. i've managed to eat scrambled eggs and mac and cheese the first few days but now everything makes me sick to my stomach.

this morning i had what i call and episode. my ear hurt so bad!! I have NEVER felt pain so bad in my life. I was crying to my mom holding my ears, pulling my hair, pacing the floor, and praying to God. then i couldn't breathe. it hurt my throat to breathe, so i put my head over the sink and ran hot water. for some reason the steam eased up the pain in my throat and nose a little bit and my ear slowly let up. i'm on gen. vicodin but i still feel like i'm dying.

the doctor said by this time next week i should be better....was he serious??

oh and anyone have any idea what i can eat?? chicken broth (made with the bullion cubes) is what caused my episode this morning.

good luck to everyone else going thru this nightmare!!!

Old 07-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
(female)

jacluv85 HB User
Post Re: second tonsillectomy...PLEASE HELP ME!!

Well it's day 9 and i actually slept thru most of the night. I made it 5 hours without pain meds instead of four, and my left ear hurts but not to the point that i wanna jab a ink pen in it. BUT the right ear is now havin the pains in it. the ice pack I had gotten at the hospital is now leaking so i'm using a ziplock bag, wrapping it in a towel and tyin it to my neck. it seems to work.

i had read on here about someone who had eatten baked chicken so i thought i would give it a try. (if i take three tsp. of the meds a little bit before i eat, i'm able to eat) well we were at KFC getting my mashed potatoes and i thought hey i'll try some of the grilled chicken. we got home and i was so hungry first thing i did was open the box and rip, rip the skin off, tear a small peice of the inside off and eat it. first let me just say i don't like meat, i don't eat it, but i do eat chicken and turkey when i notice my body needs protein bad. that being said just havin that chicken in my mouth tasting it....so good!! Then i tried to swallow.....OUCH!!!!!! had another episode this time it was more my right ear then my left. i was jumpin up and down plugging my ears, once again i went to the sink and ran the hot water and let the steam come up to my ear. it eventually eased up, once again THANK GOD!!! ::::warning to everyone who's had there tonsils out NO GRILLED CHICKEN!!

so i went back to mashed potatoes. i didn't think i'd be able to sleep again last night but i layed there with my ice pack and fell asleep.

when i woke up at five the pain was BAD, but i was proud of going so long without my meds. I took the meds, laid back down witih my ice pack and went back to sleep.

i'm finally thinkin i might be okie. as long as i have my ice pack and my vicodin!!

like i said before if anyone has any words of wisdom, please share them with me!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
(female)

hmmwhatisthis HB User
Re: second tonsillectomy...PLEASE HELP ME!!

Hi,

I can imagine that the grilled chicken was painful. I was unable to eat anything remotely resembling solid food. I did however discover that I could eat Jello pudding, the doc had said no red jellos because it could really cause confusion on rechecks, and I needed to know if I was bleeding or just spitting up jello, but I did make jello pudding and put it in the freezer long enough for it to become really cold but not frozen, and it really seemed to help the throat and ear pain tremendously. It was thick enough and cold enough that it went down slow and thus helping. I hope you get relief soon!

Lori

Old 07-16-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
(female)

Dutchgirl HB User

Wow I REALLY REALLY FEEL FOR YOU, because I am going through the same thing uggghhh. I had my tonsils taken out last Friday July 10th along with fixing my Deviated Septum, and Turbonates. This was also my 2nd time to have my tonsils removed.

I first had them removed at the age of 10, and now again at the age of 43! The pain is like some mid evil torture!! I hold on to my left ear when I swallow anything at all, because it absolutely kills! I woke up this morning not being able to breathe, and having a thick mucus plug (sorry I know that's gross) blocking off my throat. It scared the crap out of me!

The ENT told me that it is a lot more painful to have your tonsils removed when you are an adult, because there is more tissue stuck to the tonsil.

Nothing really helps other than taking the pain meds every 4 to 5 hours, which causes other fun malfunctions of the body. I hope that the pain has mellowed out by Monday, because that is when I have to go back to work!

Hope your pain gets better real soon!

Annette

C5/C6 ACDF 08-22-06
C6/C7 ACDF 05-22-07

Old 07-16-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

There is a lidocaine gel that you gargle to deaden the tissue. I don't know why more docs don't prescribe it because it's much better than the pain pills. Or was for me anyway.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #6
(female)

jacluv85 HB User
Post Re: second tonsillectomy...PLEASE HELP ME!!

so it's been fifteen days and i'm still in a lot of pain. day thirteen and fourteen were really bad i thought i was going to die.

my mom was worried so she brought me up to the clinic and my doctor was on a vacation so i saw someone else. he told me to start takin the vicodin at night only and take tylonl in the day. then he told me i had to go to the infusion center and get an I.V. because i was dehydrated. i had to sit there for two hours, i wanted my ice pack so bad!! that seems to be the only thing that helps me, well that and the steam thing.

i keep tellin my self it can only get better from here, but i'm startin to wonder....

oh and saturday the nurse called because i had to get a refill on my vicodin. i found out that i could have been using that throat spray clorseptic, i'm not sure how to spell it. i wanted to scream, why didn't you people tell me this before!!!

~jackie

Closed Thread

Tags
ear pain, throat, tonsillectomy, tonsillectomy post op