It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 05:21 AM   #1
(female)

mum123 HB User
Ongoing problem with ears, throat, neck.

Hi there! I have been having an ongoing problem with my neck, and now most recently my ears...I'll sum it up point form.

March 09:
A virus went through our house, coughing, sore throat were the major symptoms. I had a bad sore throat which caused actual pain in my neck (from collar bone to jaw) that felt like someone had hit me with a sledge hammer.
Virus went away after about a week and we carried on.

April 09:

I woke up one morning with an extremely swollen (about the size of an orange) gland on the right side of my neck. It was extremely sore to touch and I could not turn my head.
I went to a walk in clinic and he took some blood tests, put me on Biaxin and sent me home. He wanted to see me in a week.

I started taking the Biaxin but had a very strange experience in which I almost fainted, got extremely sick, and panicky. I am later realizing it is possible that this was a stress related reaction, however at the time I asked to be switched medications just to be sure.

I felt extremely sick from the Amoxicillian that I was prescribed and stopped taking anything until I could see my regular Doc. The gland by this time and went down in size about 60%.

My doctor ordered an ultrasound, tests for mono, thyroid etc. My previous blood test came back apparently "fine" and my second blood test was also fine.
My ultra sound showed a change in cystic colloid activity in the neck. My doctor explained that this meant that there was some cysts in the neck, but they were small and he did not think this was abnormal. They didn't see a problem with the original gland which had not gotten any bigger.

End of May 09

By this point I had went some time feeling okay, however from time to time I would notice that the pain in my neck area would return and I would have the occassional sore throat that lasted a small amount of time.

June 09

I noticed that it hurt in my collar bone area, on the left side whenever I cough, clear my throat, etc. Almost feels like something is broken but I have no injury.
I have had constant sore throats at this point, and started getting pain in my ears which eventually led to alot of pressure and ringing in the ears which gets pretty bad sometimes.

I can't stress enough the pain my neck and throat go through. It is not enough to disrupt normal activities but has gone on long enough that I am concerned.

July 09

No ease up in symptoms. I went to my doctor who said that he does not know what to think, my throat looks fine, tonsills are slightly enlarged but not abnormal, ears are okay. Gland that was originally swollen is about 85% smaller and is movable so they are not concerned.

He suggested going to an ENT which I accepted but have not heard back.

**What I am wondering is what the heck this is, could this be an ongoing infection, cancer, something to do with the original virus months ago? I have even read that people can go into "septic shock" from blood poisoning as a result of untreated infections.

Someone even told me it was HIV - which made me wonder if that was a sypmtom, I had a test when I was pregnant and it came back negative and have only had one partner since then....chances are pretty slim...

Something else I should mention is that I have NO other symptoms other than those associated with my seasonal allergies, not sure how that ties in. My mother is convinced that we have mold in our house (we do have some water issues) and that I am experiencing symptoms related to that)

THanks in advance for any help or advice!

Last edited by mum123; 07-29-2009 at 05:23 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread