It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
(female)

justcurious123 HB User
Question Thick, sticky, bloody mucus.. Please HELP!

**WARNING! Description gets graphic** 3 days ago I noticed I had thick, sticky mucus stuck in the back of my throat. I can't get it to come up and no matter how many times I clear my throat or hack it up it wonít budge. Often times I end up gagging just trying to clear my throat. The mucus feels like it is stuck behind my uvula (the thing hanging in the back of your throat). It usually sits in there for an entire day and the next afternoon I am finally able to get it out. I was horrified by what I saw. It was VERY thick (like glue), about the size of a quarter, white, sticky and it had a small amount of dark blood in it. I know blood is a bad sign, but it wasn't bright red and I wasn't coughing it up. I thought the blood was from a broken blood vessel in my throat from trying to cough it out the previous day. I didn't notice any drainage or anything sliding down my throat the rest of the day. That night I went to sleep and awoke the next morning with the same feeling again. It took me over 24 hours and finally today I was able to cough it up again. This time I spit the mucus into a tissue so I could look at it closer. I grabbed another tissue and placed it on top of the mucus and then pulled the tissues away from each other. The mucus stuck to both tissues like glue and looked the same from a couple days ago. There was a little bit of dark blood in it and white, about the size of a quarter. I feel fine, my throat is a little sore from all the clearing, coughing and hacking. I don't have a stuffy nose nor do I feel congestion in my chest. When I take a deep breath there is no wheezing or cracking. I am a smoker, which I know could be causing this, but I have been smoking for about 10 years now and have never had mucus look like this. I do have allergies, but have not had a flare in a long time, but when it does happen it is usually accompanied with a stuffy nose and feeling sick.) I canít remember the last time I have been sick, it has been years. This stuff just appeared one day and seems to stick around (no pun intended) for 24 hours before I am able to get it out. Please help! has anyone ever experienced this? What could this be and why did it just appear out of the blue? All this coughing is giving me a headache. Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread