It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
(female)

Marysa22 HB User
Thumbs up LPR: How To Deal, Explained

Dear Fellow LPR Victims,

I am writing this post because was I was first diagnosed with LPR, I was an emotional basketcase. I was receiving a lot of contradictory advice from everyone (including my doctors), and my life would have been a lot easier had I heard someone who had come out the other end explain their experiences. I hope that by writing this post I will save someone some of the angst that I went through. What I am writing is based on my personal experience with LPR, and I do understand that LPR comes in many different forms. If you are feeling lost, confused, anxious, frustrated, and in pain, however, there is a commonality between us. I've been there.

I am a healthy college student. I am a healthy weight, I do not smoke or drink. For me, what probably triggered the LPR is that I am a singer, although this is only a theory and we do not really know what caused it. My main and most debilitating symptom was a sore throat that would not go away and major post-nasal drip. The pain I experienced ranged from a 1 on the pain scale to an 8, and it NEVER WENT AWAY. It would wax and wane, but it persisted for a solid 6 months, and took away most of my joy in life during that time. While I am normally a very bubbly, optimistic, and energetic person, LPR transformed me into a weepy, self-pitying, anxious homebody. My social life was shot and doing simple office work during my summer vacation (a job that would normally be a breeze for me) was extremely trying.

After a mis-diagnosis of a dust mite allergy, I finally saw an ENT who recognized me as having LPR. She ordered that I cut out all acidic foods (coffee, tea, spicy foods, soda, dairy, chocolate, sweets, etc). Of course I did this right away and - of course - no relief. It was then that I was put on 40 mg prilosec a day. A week later - no relief, symptoms worsening. I saw another ENT who put me in zegerid and pepsid, and assured me that my throat would take weeks or even months to heal totally. He told me that "if [you] are not getting worse, you are getting better."

Three weeks later, I am feeling improvement. I take zegerid in the morning on an empty stomach about 1 hour before breakfast and at night one hour before dinner. I take pepsid about 30 minutes before lunch. I also take Mucinex, because the post-nasal drip was irritating my throat as well.

What I want to communicate here is that this is a slow process, and you must be diligent and patient throughout your treatment. Trust that you are, indeed, suffering from LPR, and that this disease can be managed and controlled. You WILL have your life back. This is just a minor block in the road. The dietary modifications suck (I love coffee, indian food, wine, cheese, and tomato sauce as much as the next guy). But feeling sick sucks more. People suffer from a lot more serious and life-shattering illnesses. Throw the coffee out the window and let your body do the natural thing: heal. In truth, most of the dietary modifications are good for you, anyway. Eat more fresh fruits and veggies, eat smaller portions, graze. Learn how to relax without alcohol and perk up without coffee. It is a beautiful thing.

As per the damage done to your throat: be patient. I know it is much easier said than done, but increased anxiety and hysteria is not going to make you heal any faster. Take this as a time of introspection and relaxation. Confide in those around you who really care about you, and let the others fade away. Manage the disease, control it. You have the power, and you are already on your way to being yourself again.

I hope this helped.

Marysa

The following user gives a hug of support to Marysa22:
FaithsLove (07-18-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
(female)

painter207 HB User
Re: LPR: How To Deal, Explained

Hi Marysa....Well your post was a God sent as far as I'm concerned. I could have written your post myself. I've been on Nexium sice May 27th.I was on a stricked Acid reflux diet and after 2 month on the drug and diet I thought..This dang sore throat isin't going away so I started eating everything including drinking my morning coffee. I've had a few vodka +tonics but will not go back on any wine. My throat is getting a little better but am very dissapointed. You've given me hope that there is a light at the end of the tunnel so I am going to watch my diet again. Why does this take so long? It's so annoying to say the least. Nexium has taken care of any heartburn and mucus so all that's left is the throat problem. I have the perscription for 3 month so apparently my ENT thought that in that time it would clear itself. So I have till the 27th of this month. Thanks for the post. So your throat took 6 month to heal? Any other helpfull comments are appreciated......

P.S. My social life is in the toilet. It hurts sometimes just to talk so I avoid everything and am turning into an ugly sort of person who once was very social and happy go lucky. UGH!!

Last edited by painter207; 08-02-2009 at 07:27 PM.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
(female)

silvercity09 HB Usersilvercity09 HB User

everything painter said I have been going through as well...I want to travel and do so many things but I'm afraid because of my sore throat...I have a constant burning that won't go away...I used to be so happy and now I'm suffering from depression all because of acid reflux!!!! I don't wish this upon my worst enemy.... :-(

Old 04-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
(female)

SarahElle HB User

Hey Marysa!

I just found your very old post after searching for hours regarding singers with LPR. It feels like there's nowhere to turn! I just started a new show contract and I am just so frustrated with this raspy voice. I can still sing everything it's just not tip top shape as it should be. I know it's going to take a while to heal (and I'm lucky I caught it before I had a ton of inflammation) but it's nice to see your post and have a little bit of a clear head. So, thank you!

Closed Thread