It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User
Ear pain that comes and goes....help!

Hi everyone. I have had ear pain only in my left ear....that comes and goes and has been like this for at LEAST a year. I don't remember exactly when it started, but it is annoying. I have had a doctor look at it twice, but everytime I make an appointment, by the time it comes, the pain is gone and they don't ever see anything wrong.

It's hard to describe what this pain feels like, but I will try my best to describe it. The outside of the ear doesn't hurt, it's all inside. If I pull on my earlobe, I feel the pain inside. If I put a q-tip in there to clean it, it hurts. It doesn't hurt where I'm placing the q-tip though....not like its raw or irritated or anything....it's almost as if I am feeling the pain further in where the q-tip doesn't even touch. When I swallow, I feel it too. It's really odd. I know I am probably confusing everyone, but I am pretty confused about this to as I don't know what is causing it....and obviously I am bad at describing it.

As I said, it is only in my left ear, and comes and goes, but when it hurts, it hurts for days at a time, then goes away.

Also, back in 2004, I started having bouts of vertigo that were a nightmare. I had 2 really bad bouts....one in 2004 and another one a year later. It was constant dizziness that lasted for a long time before getting better. But, I do remember that I had no ear pain at that time. Since 2005, when I had the last bad bout of vertigo, I still have problems, there is definitely a difference.....such as....when I get out of the shower, I would normally flip my head upside down to put my towel on my head, and I cannot do that anymore without getting dizzy when I stand back up. One time a couple of years ago, I went to a haunted house and walked through a room that was round and had black and white swirls painted on the walls....and the walls spun....and I couldn't walk through the room....I keep falling cause it made me insanely dizzy!!! My brother in law had to carry me through...and then I was horribly dizzy and vomiting in the parking lot for about 20 minutes afterwards. But after that 20 minutes I was fine. When I had those 2 bad bouts of vertigo....it was constant dizziness and vomiting that didn't subside for days and days!!! So, it is definitely better than it was.....but there is still something wrong.

Could my ear pain be related to the vertigo? Anyone else have this kind of problem??? I don't know what to do or think, but it is really annoying.
DS - Landon Russell...2/21/09
DD - Avery Marie...10/29/11...adopted by family.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
(female)

tammykinz HB User
Re: Ear pain that comes and goes....help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton93 View Post
Hi everyone. I have had ear pain only in my left ear....that comes and goes and has been like this for at LEAST a year. I don't remember exactly when it started, but it is annoying. I have had a doctor look at it twice, but everytime I make an appointment, by the time it comes, the pain is gone and they don't ever see anything wrong.

It's hard to describe what this pain feels like, but I will try my best to describe it. The outside of the ear doesn't hurt, it's all inside. If I pull on my earlobe, I feel the pain inside. If I put a q-tip in there to clean it, it hurts. It doesn't hurt where I'm placing the q-tip though....not like its raw or irritated or anything....it's almost as if I am feeling the pain further in where the q-tip doesn't even touch. When I swallow, I feel it too. It's really odd. I know I am probably confusing everyone, but I am pretty confused about this to as I don't know what is causing it....and obviously I am bad at describing it.

As I said, it is only in my left ear, and comes and goes, but when it hurts, it hurts for days at a time, then goes away.

Also, back in 2004, I started having bouts of vertigo that were a nightmare. I had 2 really bad bouts....one in 2004 and another one a year later. It was constant dizziness that lasted for a long time before getting better. But, I do remember that I had no ear pain at that time. Since 2005, when I had the last bad bout of vertigo, I still have problems, there is definitely a difference.....such as....when I get out of the shower, I would normally flip my head upside down to put my towel on my head, and I cannot do that anymore without getting dizzy when I stand back up. One time a couple of years ago, I went to a haunted house and walked through a room that was round and had black and white swirls painted on the walls....and the walls spun....and I couldn't walk through the room....I keep falling cause it made me insanely dizzy!!! My brother in law had to carry me through...and then I was horribly dizzy and vomiting in the parking lot for about 20 minutes afterwards. But after that 20 minutes I was fine. When I had those 2 bad bouts of vertigo....it was constant dizziness and vomiting that didn't subside for days and days!!! So, it is definitely better than it was.....but there is still something wrong.

Could my ear pain be related to the vertigo? Anyone else have this kind of problem??? I don't know what to do or think, but it is really annoying.
Hmmm not sure but when you tug on your ear it could be that you don't have a good protective waxy layer in your ear. Are you making sure your ears dry good after showering or swimming? chlorine in pools can strip this wax, warm weather can strip this wax. I am not talking about chunks of wax, it is a think coating that protects your ear. when you use q-tips you can also damage that protective layer. Eventually it may turn into a full infection that will need treatment. I am not sure about the vertigo it sounds like 2 different things to me. are you on any medications that could cause vertigo or were at the time ???? To help rebuild the waxy layer in your ear, ensure you dry your ears really well when they get wet, after showers and swimming. you can buy a little ear dryer or sit by a fan or something. Careful with q-tips they should only be used on the outer part of your ear, never in the canal. If you can avoid getting your ears wet for a week or so it might be enough to build up a good waxy coating again. cover your ears in shower etc...

good luck

Closed Thread