It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2009, 01:06 AM   #1
(male)

ctrl-alt-del HB User
Question Sudden ear infection (or instant tinnitus)?

Hi there. I was handling some steel bars at work (don't get me wrong, this wasn't construction with loud noise levels and such... I was indoors building racks at a retail store) when suddenly some of the bars that I was holding hit each other and made an extremely loud metal crashing noise (or least that's how I perceived it). For a second the hearing in just my RIGHT ear faded away to complete deafness, but then slowly returned to normal volume but with lots of resonating and pulsating high pitched ringing. I was hoping that it was going to settle pretty quickly but today is the fourth day since the incident and my right ear is still ringing and pulsating with really loud high pitched white noise.

I went to see my doc yesterday and he said that 'the sudden movement of the eardrum from the loud noise may have activated an ear infection that was just sitting there for a while but wasn't being active at that time'. He prescribed me a course of antibiotics (amoxicillin). Has anyone ever heard of such a thing before? Did the loud metal sound of the steel bars shake my eardrum hard enough to trigger an ear infection in just my right ear? Or did I get instant tinnitus now for the rest of my life? I am actually starting to get really worried and concerned. I am a musician and I already have mild tinnitus even after taking as many prevention measures and precautions to avoid tinnitus, and now I get this hardcore ringing in my one ear that is the loudest I have ever heard and doesn't even compare to the slight ringing I get after my live performances with enormous sound levels.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Last edited by ctrl-alt-del; 08-16-2009 at 09:42 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2009, 11:04 AM   #2
(male)

ctrl-alt-del HB User
Re: Sudden ear infection (or instant tinnitus)?

NO ONE knows anything?

Old 10-22-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
(male)

SFX Group HB User

There’s 2 muscles in the ear (1 is 1mm long), they protect the ear from very loud noises by pulling 1 bone away (deafness) then it comes back.

However i have heard (brother) who had ear tests like that (high pitch noise) who kept hearing it for years, however it did go away.

It may have activated a virus but seems a bit sudden, seems more like the ear protection thing might have gone a bit over the top, i would think it will settle but might take some time.

I have tinnitus in my right ear which seems to act up on food and stress and different levels (i had an ear in fact in 2008, took 4 months for the tinnitus to start after the ear problem went.

However i did go deaf in my right ear with the infection for 10 mins though.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
(male)

slater1182 HB User

it is called coning. i tried it for the first time today and could not believe the amount of ear wax that came out. not sure it will fix my tinnitus but amazed at what came out of my ears.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-12-2009 at 07:58 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Closed Thread