It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
(male)

Momack HB User
Question Hoarse voice for 2 years

After 2 years of having 4 laposcropies (camera up nose and down to vocal cords) the doctors see minor irritation of my vocal cords. I also recently had a endoscopy and it shows I have a hiatal hernia. So the doctors think that GERD is causing acid to agitate my vocal chords. But since the only symptom of GERD I have is the hoarseness, I'm reluctant to have a hiatal hernia operation.
And now this...
I had a blood workup last week and blood protein was very, very high. Normal is 6-8 and I had an 11. It was confirmed to be high with next test, so electrophoresis of blood is to be done next week.
Anyway, what are the chances this high blood protein is connected to my hoarseness?
I'm 46, do not smoke, am not overweight, in decent shape but have high cholesterol (220). Moderate drinker...10-20 drinks/week.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
(female)

bittygirl HB User
Re: Hoarse voice for 2 years

Iv never heard of a hoarse voice caused by high protein.
Its probaly from having acid reflux. I have had the same thing. With me its only 3 things it could be, the acid reflux, hypothyroidism or post nasel drip. i have all 3 so its hard to tell but I think mine comes from the acid reflux. I am one of those people who reflux all the food up and it happens quite frequently.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2009, 11:01 PM   #3
(female)

fireweed HB User

As mentioned in the previous post, issues with the thyroid can affect the voice (the nerves to the vocal cords run close to the thyroid gland). It's worth getting checked.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
(male)

Momack HB User

thanks for responding. I had the thyroid checked and it's fine. Other blood work has come back and looks alarming. On Monday I am seeing an oncologist. It's seems like a long weekend already and it's 7:30 am on saturday.
ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittygirl View Post
Iv never heard of a hoarse voice caused by high protein.
Its probaly from having acid reflux. I have had the same thing. With me its only 3 things it could be, the acid reflux, hypothyroidism or post nasel drip. i have all 3 so its hard to tell but I think mine comes from the acid reflux. I am one of those people who reflux all the food up and it happens quite frequently.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
(male)

Momack HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireweed View Post
As mentioned in the previous post, issues with the thyroid can affect the voice (the nerves to the vocal cords run close to the thyroid gland). It's worth getting checked.
I agree with you.
I had to ask for them to some blood work on me, as they were recommending I have a hiatal hernia operation, and my only symptom of GERD was hoarseness. So I asked them for thyroid and liver testing just to be sure they weren't missing something (1 general practitioner, 2 ENT's and a GI). Well it looks like I, the lowly farmer, was right--it most likely iS something else. (I hope like heck that I'm wrong and they're right).
But definitely, as you suggest, take control of the situation and ask questions. I don't believe a blood test is very expensive but there is soooo much information in a blood test.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:11 AM   #6
(female)

fireweed HB User

For thyroid issues, don't just rely on TSH levels or bloodwork. Make sure they physically check and perhaps do an ultrasound to look for nodules (not necessarily cancerous by the way - many nodules are not). When I had problems with one of my cords due to a thyroid issue my TSH levels came back withinin range.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #7
(male)

Momack HB User

Really? Wow. That gives me some hope. Thank you.
I'll be sure and have them do that.
I wonder if that would cause my blood work to come back with high white blood cell count?
Quote:
For thyroid issues, don't just rely on TSH levels or bloodwork. Make sure they physically check and perhaps do an ultrasound to look for nodules (not necessarily cancerous by the way - many nodules are not). When I had problems with one of my cords due to a thyroid issue my TSH levels came back withinin range.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
(female)

fireweed HB User

Ask lots of questions at your appointment - none are stupid, of course - and try not to dwell on 'what ifs' if you can. I was amazed to learn that the vocal cord nerves travel down from your neck, into the top of your chest, then back up (or something like that). Best of luck.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
(female)

bittygirl HB User

I agree on the tyroid scan. My mother was having a horse voice(she has hypothyroidism) and she had a test whats called the T3 uptake scan. I think that was the name of it. its some sort of ultrasound they do on the thyroid and they discovered she had a goiter with several noduals around it. She had to go on iodine theropy. Defently worth looking into.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:59 PM   #10
(male)

Momack HB User

Do you know if her blood work showed a high white blood cell count?
We live about 45 minutes north of Fairfield...Fairfield is our air conditioning duct. When it's blowing down there, it means the valley is cooling off.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:40 PM   #11
(male)

Momack HB User

I left my appointment feeling much better than when I arrived. He said that there's a good chance this is MGUS and will just need to be monitored. But he sent me in for total body xrays and later this week I'll have CT scans. He was incredulous that my primary doctor didn't look for other reasons for my hoarse voice (after 2 years). He thinks the hoarse voice and blood results are unrelated.
The visit in 2 weeks will be where I have a better vision of what's in store for the rest of my life. If nothing else, this is a mental game that I have never given much thought too. I always thought I'd rather get hit by a bus than die a longer death. After seeing how much economic chaos I'd leave for my wife and kids, I realize that having a terminal illness would be preferable to the quickie.
Tomorrows project is to remember to only pee into a collection jug for 24 hours. I've taped reminder signs to our toilets--kids think I'm nuts.

Quote:
Ask lots of questions at your appointment - none are stupid, of course - and try not to dwell on 'what ifs' if you can. I was amazed to learn that the vocal cord nerves travel down from your neck, into the top of your chest, then back up (or something like that). Best of luck.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:18 PM   #12
(female)

fireweed HB User

Glad you're feeling better than prior to the appointment. I know it sounds trite, but try to stay positive - and keep as much humor in it all as you possibly can! I say this because I myself am dealing with papillary thyroid cancer and am about to see my radiation oncologist for the first time this week. On the subject of waiting - I had to wait 12 weeks from surgery to do the radiation bit because the CT scan done to help diagnose the problem included iodine contrast and that's all gotta get out of my system before the next step can take place. Scary for sure, and rather surreal, but very hopeful as well. I'll be thinking very good thoughts for you. It sounds like you've got a thorough and thoughtful doctor now which is a wonderful thing. Take care.

Last edited by fireweed; 08-31-2009 at 09:19 PM.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:42 PM   #13
(male)

Momack HB User

Good thoughts are coming from me to you as well. You take care too.

Quote:
Glad you're feeling better than prior to the appointment. I know it sounds trite, but try to stay positive - and keep as much humor in it all as you possibly can! I say this because I myself am dealing with papillary thyroid cancer and am about to see my radiation oncologist for the first time this week. On the subject of waiting - I had to wait 12 weeks from surgery to do the radiation bit because the CT scan done to help diagnose the problem included iodine contrast and that's all gotta get out of my system before the next step can take place. Scary for sure, and rather surreal, but very hopeful as well. I'll be thinking very good thoughts for you. It sounds like you've got a thorough and thoughtful doctor now which is a wonderful thing. Take care.

Closed Thread