It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
(female)

andvari HB User
something stuck in my throat

Hey everyone. I'm not going to be very good at describing this problem. I've had this for MANY years (10+), and only recently was it discovered with a scope.

Anyway, the problem is the feeling of something in my throat, quite literally. I often have breathing issues from it, tightning in my throat, at times difficulty swallowing and the worse is the feeling of not being able to take in a full breath and constantly yawning/gasping in an attempt.

I will preface this by saying I have been to countless doctors and ER's about this and not a single one could tell me anything other then "it's acid, you're stressed, take anti-depressents, asthma, etc..". None of these are the actual issue and each have been persued and attempted to treat each one with the symptoms still remaining.

I do actually have some acid reflux, which I am on prevacid for, but this is NOT what's causing the problem (I just don't want to hear it so I'm emphasizing it lol). It still persists while treating.

Anyway, in goes the scope, very strange feeling, and he was in there to check out what could be going on. He looks in and says "ahhh, do you snore a lot? Do you have difficulty breathing/swallowing?". Uhm, yup, but apparently it's in my head. I told him about the lumpy feeling I have like something is stuck in my throat. Apparently, there is a piece of tissue which is pushing the wrong way, or is abstructing the passageway?? (If anyone knows what the correct term for this is please let me know). I have been told about globus syndrom, this is something else. And is only correctable by surgery from my understanding.

Has anyone else had this??? This is my 3rd ENT I've gone through, probably 5th doctor including the hospitals, and only FINALLY, they can see it? It's been there this whole time... I'm so frustrated. No other doctor considered doing a scope to actually physically look themselves. Just open my mouth, have a peek, and say "looks fine to me". erm..

Back in June I had my septum corrected and turbinates burned. He wants me to have a second surgery to correct what's in my throat. He said they couldn't be done at the same time, and it seems to make sense now after going through recovery (not fun). Is there anyone here who's had this procedure done? He basically described it as having to sew it back to place, or putting it back where it's supposed to be. He said this would explain my shallow breathing, especially in my sleep.. my oxygen levels are very low in my sleep, and I also have minor apnea.

If I have the surgery, it won't be until the new year at least. I've just started a new job and don't want to take off an extended amount of time off anytime soon.

I guess what I'm really looking for is the correct term for this, and what the term for the surgery is, so that I can further inform myself.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
(female)

amhepler HB User
Re: something stuck in my throat

I have something similar feeling, but can't get anyone to believe me. It is worse in the fall as if something triggers it. Is yours worse at any special times? I have minor sleep apnea too... so minor they weren't sure if they should treat or not. I have had doctors give up and say it is my weight... but sorry I am symptom free sometimes too... If you know what it is or how it was tested that would help me.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
(female)

andvari HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amhepler View Post
I have something similar feeling, but can't get anyone to believe me. It is worse in the fall as if something triggers it. Is yours worse at any special times? I have minor sleep apnea too... so minor they weren't sure if they should treat or not. I have had doctors give up and say it is my weight... but sorry I am symptom free sometimes too... If you know what it is or how it was tested that would help me.
Get an ENT to do a scope down your nose, they'll check within your throat to see if anything is where it shouldn't be. It's a very strange sensation, but worth it. No other doc has EVER done this for me after years and years of complaints. I've been sent for xrays, mri's, u/s', everything.. I guess they figure everything would show?? But, the only way he found it, and he saw it right away, was through a scopy. It's just a tube with a camera on it, stick it into your nose, you feel it in back of your throat go down.. and he gets a visual of what's in your throat. He saw the problem for me immediately. He also saw the acid reflux issue but confirmed this wasn't the cause of the breathing issues. I'm on prevacid to help with acid. But, throat-wise.. he told me we'd talk about it again at a later time. I'm due back on Oct 1st.

Hopefully, someone who's had this problem, can let us know what the problem is actually called. I want to research and understand what's wrong with my throat finally!!

You mentionned it being seasonal for you. There is no rhyme or reason for mine.. I do have allergies, they became severe just last year.. but have had this problem since before I was 12. Before then, I never paid attention, thinking it was normal to have difficulty breathing ? I'm not out of shape, I mean, I'm not fit or anything, but my BMI is good. My allergies are taken care of.. he told me the only thing to do is surgery. I suppose medication can't "move" tissue

My sleep apnea was on average, stopped breathing 13 times/night (or is per hour?? I forget how they measure that). They told me it wasn't bad enough to fix. Through my sleep studies, have found out my oxygen levels are low. I think they were border line, but decided to leave it be.

I too have times where I don't feel anything and I can breathe. I'm not sure what triggers it really hard, but when it hits hard it can last weeks at a time where I'm gasping for air.. it really sucks!

Old 09-15-2009, 05:46 AM   #4
(female)

Dragonomine HB User

I have no answers for you, but you may have given me one! *huge cyber hug*

I've had constant shortness of breath since Feb. Much worse in heat. I've had every heart and lung test. I have so much nuclear meds in me it's a wonder I don't glow in the dark. The only thing they HAVE found is that my oxygen sat goes down to 80 several times during the night. I can't just breath out my nose because I don't get enough air. I need to take a big breath through my mouth..yawning a LOT.

Does this sound like you??? OMG if you've finally found the answer for me...I'm just ... I'm so excited!

Old 09-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
(female)

shawbeck HB User

My 6 year old son has a similar complaint- he is actually nauseated from it most mornings and says it feels sharp... Our ENT doesn't think it's anything, but will be checking in when he goes in for his tonsillectomy in November when he can scope it without having him fight him...

Good Luck!

Old 10-13-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
(male)

Crimsondex HB User

Hello everyone, well I'm 21 yrs old and since I was about ten yrs old I started experiencing a sensation in my throat like as if there was something stuck in my throat or a lump that won't go away. The first night I got It I felt like I was chocking on something when there was clearly nothing there. When it's at it's worse I feel like I'm chocking so I start hyperventilating and sort of like have difficulty breathing so I try to get whatever it is out but nothing is there. It seems to get worse around winter months and to the point where I don't eat just to avoid this scary feeling. I have been to many doctors since I was a kid and a few others just recently but no luck. I had the barium swallow done on me last week but it showed nothing. Today all I got were meds for acid reflux but that probably isn't it. If somebody has had these symptoms and knows any treatment for this I would really appreciate your help. Thanks.

Closed Thread