It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
(female)

alison6293 HB User
Sore left ear no infection HELP

I have a very sore left ear, it feels like the pain is coming from deep inside the ear. I have been to the doctors twice and there is no infection. I have also had all wax removed hoping that would help but it has not.

The doctor perscribed some anti-inflamatories and pain killers but the problem persists.

I was wondering if it could be anything to do with the earpiece I use at work as I am a dictaphone typist, and I use the headpiece/earpiece on my left ear only, the one that is causing me pain. I experience the pain in the weekends as well though, when I am not using my headset.

I don't clench my jaws or grind my teeth to my knowledge, and it is not toothache, my teeth are fine.

Can anyone advise what else it could be. I was wondering if I should do a hearing test, is there pain associated with hearing loss?

Any help is appreciated.

Alison.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
(female)

Dragonflyspit HB User
Re: Sore left ear no infection HELP

This might sound crazy, but I started looking in this forum for answers to questions about a problem my dog has been having -- that's almost exactly like what you describe. He had persistent ear pain, but the vets couldn't find any infection. It took ages, and we went through a lot of vets, but eventually a new vet found a middle ear problem. Interestingly, it was NOT associated with any external ear infection, and the tympanic membrane didn't look inflamed or swollen or under pressure. It didn't even show up on a brain MRI, so other vets missed it, but eventually it ruptured and gave the condition away. Also interesting is that the cytology showed no infection in the fluid from the middle ear (which, by the time the TM ruptures, was a LOT). As of this posting, we don't know the cause of the fluid buildup in the middle ear, and we're just treating to prevent infection while his TM grows back.

He'd had a problem with his ears for at least 2.5 years before the TM ruptured, and we'd seen at least 5 different vets about it before the TM eventually ruptured for vet #6. All previous vets treated it as minor, and several essentially said it was my imagination (like I'm some kind of surrogate hypochondriac for my dog), but no one can argue now that he really did have something wrong, and it really did hurt.

I don't have any advice for you except to be persistent and don't let the doctors put you off or convince you it's not real. Maybe it won't be anything serious, but you don't want to have your eardrum burst in order to get the attention of your doctors.

Best of luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread