It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
(female)

niteskylover HB User
Stapedectomy recovery

hello..I am new to these boards but wanted to share my story about my recent (yesterday 10/19/09) Stapedectomy-hope i spelled that right! I have had Otosclerosis for probably 20 years..with my hearing declining a lot quicker in the past 10 years due to 3 pregnancies. I finally decided on surgery when i could barely hear my youngest read aloud. Before surgery i came to these boards and found it helpful on what to expect. I had mine done in Manhattan at an out patient facility. I was in the operating room an hour total. The surgery went well, my doctor said it could not have gone better When i woke up i was not in any pain, had no nausea or dizziness. The worst part so far has just been the drowsiness from the general anesthesia. Last night i took tylenol and an anti nausea pill just in case. I was given vicodin for the pain but will save that for a rainy day I have no pain today, just can hear my pulse in my ear and my ear popped a few times on the way home today. The doctor says i should have hearing in my ear in a month. Right now it is packed with cotton. So, so far...so good

The Following User Says Thank You to niteskylover For This Useful Post:
cooljane56 (05-26-2012)
Old 10-22-2009, 07:31 AM   #2
(female)

niteskylover HB User
Re: Stapedectomy recovery

I am now 3 days post surgery. I read a lot of these boards before I went in and am glad to report I really am feeling pretty good. I have a touch of dizziness only when i turn my head too fast or when I get up. I did not have any pain or nausea at all. My worst side affect has been the constant pulse i hear in my ear. I wonder if anyone has a comment to this, I called my dr. to make my 2 week appointment and asked about the packing in my ear...they said to keep it in for 2 weeks NOT to change it????!!! That's a long time, I would think? ANYWAY...anyone comtemplating this surgery, I would say go for it, it really was not bad at all!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
(male)

mmslc HB User

Glad your surgery went well (mine did too). I think some people have a hard time with it but I guess everyone's different. My brother had it done about 5 years ago and he was down in bed for two weeks! (dizziness) -- I was anticipating something like that but its been a breeze so far for me too.

It sounds like leaving the packing in there for a long time is pretty standard -- That being said I can't wait to get mine out (my ear itches like crazy inside)

Last edited by mmslc; 10-22-2009 at 10:33 AM.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
(male)

rpurser HB User

Keep me posted...I am suppose to have similar surgery next Friday, OCT 30th at UCSF in San Francisco.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
(female)

niteskylover HB User

Hey rpurser...welcome! OK, first thing you should know, I am THE biggest baby and this surgery really was very uneventful. I have had virtually no pain!! No dizziness or nausea either. I had the procedure on Monday the 19th so today is my 4th day post surgery. After surgery I could hear my pulse in the operated ear, but that seems to be going. I have not driven yet, but ran some errands today and am just taking it slow. I feel a tiny bit woozy if i look straight up or try to look at the floor, other than that, I feel pretty good. I go back on the 5th i suppose to take the packing out. I have covered up my 'bad' ear and have heard some voices and sounds through all this packing, I'm getting pretty excited for the outcome! I have had otosclerosis for 20 years(YIKES, i'm OLD) I'm 44 and finally got the nerve up to do this! You will be fine, the worst part was getting over the general anesthesia and that wasn't so bad, i was just a bit out of it and groggy. My dr. prescribed vicodin for the pain and I didnt need any! I'm hoping things continue to stay this good and will waiting to hear how things go for you! You will be FINE!!! how are you feeling mmsic?? any news?

Last edited by niteskylover; 10-23-2009 at 04:21 PM.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:16 AM   #6
(male)

mmslc HB User

Very cool your hearing some sound niteskylover -- I am too! Nothing extraordinary yet but its there. And I am feeling pretty good. Back to taking a walk during the day (good thing because I was going stir crazy! lol).

I took off the cotton ball and tape yesterday and it feels great to have it off. When I first took it off last night it felt a bit weird for a few hours. But this morning it feels really nice to have it off. Kind of like taking a band-aid off I think at first you feel a bit "exposed" but that feeling soon gives way to feeling normal and like yourself again.

And rpurser, I totally agree with niteskylover. the operation was no big deal. The worst part for me was the general. The only time I have felt dizzy was after a few margaritas! In fact one of the hardest parts of recovery has been to remember to take it easy! Be sure to let us all know how it goes.

Do you guys-n-gals have hearing loss in both ears or one? Only one ear for me.

oh.. and my sign in is "mmSLC" ...not sic -- promise I am not sic! lol I live a bit outside of SLC utah, at the foot of the mountain canyons by one of the ski resorts.

Last edited by mmslc; 10-24-2009 at 08:19 AM.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:49 AM   #7
(female)

niteskylover HB User

ooops...sorry i keep calling you sic, won't do that again slc!! have you washed yoru hair? I am 5 days post -op and am SO afraid to. I've been warned that if water gets in the ear it could cause total hearing loss due to infection!!! Did the dr. take our your packing or did you just take out the outer part? My packing is getting a bit irritating, but not too bad. I am a little nervous about how loud everything is going to be, instead of saying what all the time, am I going to start saying SHUSH???!!! I have no tape on my ear, just what appears to be cotton packed in. AHH, slc, I am jealous that you've taken a walk!! I walk 4-6 miles a day and i miss it a lot! I ran some errands yesterday and felt pretty good. Did some light house cleaning today and am feeling a bit more steady each day. I do have a weird sort of taste in my mouth and am not tasting foods as I did before, did any of you experience this? I don't go back til 11/5 and dr said to leave packing in til then??? Y U C K!! Ok, can anyone give me some advice on shampooing hair to avoid water getting in? thanks

Old 10-24-2009, 04:08 PM   #8
(female)

scgirlgwd HB User

I, too, have lived with otosclerosis for over 17 years! Pregnancy triggered mine too and also runs in my family as my father and his sister has it too. They both had the surgery over 20 years ago with no problems. I am 39 and finally had it done yesterday!! So pleased with the outcome but find myself retreating to my bedroom often to get away from the noise!! I waited this long at the suggestion of the doctor who diagnosed me. Otosclerosis is more active the younger you are and can be aggravated by pregnancy. Hormones come into play somehow. I have not been dizzy or sick with this and only a dull earache off and on yesterday...had a sore throat from the breathing tube but that is b/c they had a little trouble getting that into place. Overall I am very pleased and will probably get the other done at a later time. If done correctly, this is a permanent fix and was told yesterday that you would have to experience a major head trauma to dislodge the prosthesis. Incus erosion could be an issue down the road, although rare...but can be corrected. Thus, I am comfortable with my decision to go thru with the surgery...and I can hear! It's very amplified right now, but I'm hearing things I don't remember ever hearing! So cool Good luck to you all in your recoveries. I didn't realize there were so many people in the same boat as me!
Angie

Old 10-24-2009, 04:14 PM   #9
(female)

scgirlgwd HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteskylover View Post
ooops...sorry i keep calling you sic, won't do that again slc!! have you washed yoru hair? I am 5 days post -op and am SO afraid to. I've been warned that if water gets in the ear it could cause total hearing loss due to infection!!! Did the dr. take our your packing or did you just take out the outer part? My packing is getting a bit irritating, but not too bad. I am a little nervous about how loud everything is going to be, instead of saying what all the time, am I going to start saying SHUSH???!!! I have no tape on my ear, just what appears to be cotton packed in. AHH, slc, I am jealous that you've taken a walk!! I walk 4-6 miles a day and i miss it a lot! I ran some errands yesterday and felt pretty good. Did some light house cleaning today and am feeling a bit more steady each day. I do have a weird sort of taste in my mouth and am not tasting foods as I did before, did any of you experience this? I don't go back til 11/5 and dr said to leave packing in til then??? Y U C K!! Ok, can anyone give me some advice on shampooing hair to avoid water getting in? thanks
I just had my surgery yesterday and something they washed my ear with got into my hair and left the most awful smell!!! So, it took me a while but I had to wash my hair today. I covered a cotton ball with vaseline and held some saran wrap over my ear while washing/rinsing carefully with the other hand. A little tricky but the water stayed out. Another thing you can try is to have someone wash it for you ... maybe the kitchen sink with you on the counter holding a cup over your ear??? I have thought about having my hairdresser help me with that for a while too.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:15 PM   #10
(female)

niteskylover HB User

hello scgirl...you just got it done yesterday and can hear already??? I have packing in my ear that i am dying to take out or at least change but dr said to leave it in til i see him (nov.5). I have not washed my hair since monday-YUCK, but am SO scared to get water in...hmm saran wrap might be the way to go, i can't take much more. Yes, my otosclerosis got much worse during my 3 pregnancies. I do notice that the banging of doors, dishes clanging together seems VERY intensified even with this packing, can't imagine how loud it will be when thats all out....hmm, i think we will just have to retrain our brains to hear all of these sounds? I dont know, but am looking forward to it. Glad your surgery went well too!!

Old 10-25-2009, 07:05 AM   #11
(female)

scgirlgwd HB User

Just be careful. It is tricky. I did have a cottonball covered in vaseline as advised in there also. The saran wrap did get a little wet but I had a towel nearby to dry my hand, etc. I was able to tilt my head and hold with one hand against it when working on the operated side. I'm sure it wasn't the best job but had to be done The vaseline must have kept some water that would have gotten in there out b/c I did squeeze a little out of it when removing it...but none in the ear.

I can hear amplified sounds. My kitchen is the loudest room in the house now...didn't know the refrigerator made noise...lol. I am told that is b/c the eardrum is still open a little until it heals. Sounds were really clear immediately after the surgery (the nurses talking woke me up!) but with the fluid, swelling since, sounds are less clear today but still better than they were! I am so ready to be normal! I start the drops on Friday and go back to the doctor in a month. My right ear is affected just as bad. So, will probably do that one soon after.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #12
(male)

rpurser HB User
Ossicular Chain Reconstruction

Hi

Has anyone undergone ossicular chain reconstruction?

Ron

Old 10-25-2009, 12:12 PM   #13
(male)

rpurser HB User

Thanks for sharing your experience...I am doing lots of research on this...happy to hear your recovery is going smoothly.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #14
(female)

PKinKS HB User

Having this procedure tomorrow morning.... have been reading as much as I can about this type of surgery. Hearing in my right ear has declined so much just over the past year. I have had hearing loss in both ears for 20 some years now... seems like I could just get by with dealing with it but now having kids it is not only aggravating for them, but now for me too!
I am hoping for the best and hoping to talk to others that have Otosclerosis and have had the Stapedectomy procedure. If my right ear goes well we will consider doing my left sometime into next year 2010.

Wishing all of you well...!!

Old 10-25-2009, 07:05 PM   #15
(female)

niteskylover HB User

hello pkinks...GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!!! Don't be so nervous, although its completely natural to feel that way. I am such a wuss and i did great. I had no pain, just a bit groggy from the general anesthesia. No nausea either and only took tylenol first night. The procedure took a little over an hour, i had it done in NYC. I am now 6 days out and drove for first time today and really feel almost normal (well, as normal as i can get )! OK, for those of you who had had a recent stapedectomy...i am feeling a sort of fullness in my ear, and once in a while a little pain like an earache that only lasts a few seconds. Anyone else experience this? Also...when can i bend? lift things? I can't remember what dr. said about either ?? I've also read these boards and have heard people talking of their ear opening...what does that mean? Also, my dr did not give me drops for the ear, I am on oral antibiotic, anyone else? Packing has to stay in ear for 2 weeks without a change....anyone else doing the same, i wonder? thanks once again..good luck pkinks and come back after to let us know how well you did!

Closed Thread