It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

tobreathefree HB User
Question Is it normal to wake up with one nostril congested?

A CT scan showed that my sinuses are in great shape, and I had two turbinectomies. However, every morning, I wake up with one nostril congested 75% or more, and the other free.

Usually it's the same nostril, but some times it's the other, probably due to the side I sleep on? Anyway, if I exhale naturally, air comes out only through the free nostril. I have to block the free nostril with a finger and force-exhale for air to come out through the congested nostril.

I went to 4 doctors about the nasal congestion, and only one of them (quite famous - he's allegedly the best sinus surgeon on NorCal) told me, after performing the two turbinate reduction surgeries, that it's actually normal to wake up like that and that 90% of people have this symptom.

What the heck?! Why wasn't I told about this BEFORE the surgeries? Why has no other doctor told me about it? Is this guy lying to pacify me?

Anyway, I would like to ask folks here to answer the following questions:

1. When you wake up, is one of your nostril congested more than 75%, so that if you exhale naturally, air comes out only through the other nostril?

2. Do you suffer from any allergies that may cause, or have been confirmed to cause nasal congestion?

Thank you.

Last edited by tobreathefree; 11-12-2009 at 12:33 PM.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
(male)

symbal HB User
Re: Is it normal to wake up with one nostril congested?

Well i know 1 nostril is always bigger than the other to judge the distance of smells, on me left nostril is smaller and is perfectly normal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

tobreathefree HB User
Thumbs down Re: Is it normal to wake up with one nostril congested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbal View Post
Well i know 1 nostril is always bigger than the other to judge the distance of smells, on me left nostril is smaller and is perfectly normal.
I respectfully do not think that a bigger nostril would help us tell how far a source of airborne molecules is. Smell doesn't work the same as eyesight. However, I'd be glad to be proved wrong.

Also, my congested nostril alternates, depending on the side I wake up on, which seems to contradict the idea that the smaller nostril would be the one congested in the morning.

Anyway, symbal, do you wake up with "1" nostril congested?

Last edited by tobreathefree; 11-12-2009 at 03:52 PM.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #4
(male)

symbal HB User

I'm sure i remember hearing somewhere that the 1 smaller nostril means like stereo the scent goes into each nostril and one being slightly smaller means you can judge distance, i could be wrong it is just something i vaguely recall, but yeah i do have a lot of build up in my throat and nose through the night and left side is a struggle to breath through.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
(male)

Zephyr18 HB User

Regarding (1), I have exactly the same problem you describe. Regarding (2), I was recently diagnosed as having an allergy to dust mites. One of the symptoms of this allergy is severe nasal congestion. Will begin treatment with Nasonex and Singulair and take steps to eliminate dust mites from pillows, covers and sheets per instructions from doctor. Have you had any recent success in treating the congestion by any other means not mentioned in your post?

Closed Thread