It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
(female)

suki1724 HB User
urgent turbinate reduction question

I'm having this procedure done on Tuesday. It's going to be in the Dr's office under local anesthesia using radiofrequency. The Dr. said that I'll be very congested for a few days until the swelling subsides and I'm panicking at the thought of not being able to breathe through my nose. Has anyone else had this done and can you really not breathe through your nose at all afterwards?

Old 11-20-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
(female)

suki1724 HB User
Re: urgent turbinate reduction question

No one has had their turbinates reduced?????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2009, 04:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Your turbinates will be swollen for several days after the procedure but it's not really any worse than a head cold. It's certainly nothing to panic about.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:44 AM   #4
(female)

suki1724 HB User

The reason I posted the question is that I don't know if my nose will be totally blocked initially from this procedure or not. Some people may in fact get nervous about the thought of not being able to breathe throught their noses. Sorry. I thought this was a support forum.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

you posted in the right place, I had mine done but had a rhinoplasty and septoplasty at the same time. I couldn't breathe for about 4 days until he took the last of the packing out and cleaned my nose out. I don't know what it will be like for you since you are going to have less work done. Did they say if you would have packing in your sinuses or not? If not then probably it will be like having a cold, you will get air in one minute, then none the next. I found it wasn't as bad as it seems. You adapt pretty quickly either way. Good luck!

Old 11-23-2009, 06:48 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

The blockage shouldn't be much more than you are already expriencing from the problem. It passes pretty quickly. As the other poster said, with no packing it will be mostly like a bad cold....

Old 11-23-2009, 06:56 AM   #7
(female)

suki1724 HB User

Thanks so much. I can't wait to get it over with. I'm hoping there might be a little bit of improvement in my allergies as well. I'm taking the maximum amount of allergy meds and still can't breathe! I'm not looking for perfection, just a little easier breathing. Did you get relief from your surgery?

Old 11-23-2009, 08:10 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I had a deviated septum repaired. My sister had the turbinate reduction. Both of us got relief from the stuffy sinuses and everything drains well now. However, it doesn't do anything for your allergies other than that.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:27 AM   #9
(female)

melaine3 HB User

I am having septoplasty, turbinate reduction, and tonsillectomy. I started allergy shots a few weeks ago. I am convinced that allergy shots will be maintainence and hopefully avoid future surgeries.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:16 AM   #10
(female)

Dizzygal HB User

Probably too late for this reply but you won't get much sleep for a few days because you will be breathing thru your mouth. Have humidifier going at all times and good luck. Not fun but there are worse things, kinda surprised he is doing it in his office

Old 12-13-2009, 06:50 PM   #11
(female)

suki1724 HB User

I'm almost three weeks post turbinate reduction. The procedure itself was not bad at all, the worst part was getting numb, the actual turbinate reduction only took a few minutes, and I felt no pain. I did have some congestion, but I could breathe a little through my nose. Unfortunately, I'm not feeling a lot of relief. I'm calling tomorrow to see if we can try it one more time. My ENT is pretty conservative and he said that a lot of people have a "touch up" about four weeks after the initial procedure, and usually everyone has some relief after the second time.

Closed Thread