It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
(female)

Zoe26 HB User
Post nasal drip/Mucus just won't stop! Help!

I am at my wit's end. Ever since the summer I developed what seems to be a post nasal drip. I have excessive mucus that I have to breathe up in through my nose then spit out of my both. Note, this happens only when I wash my face or shower, meaning when there's water that goes up my nose and loosens all this up. Otherwise, during the day, I'm generally fine and don't notice it. It is however disgusting, time consuming, and annoying when every single morning and night I have to hack up and spit up mucus. I've tried several nose sprays (steroid and anti histamine) and antihistamines (Allegra, Xyzol) for months and it just won't stop! How can this be?

I've done allergy testing and have environmental allergies, but not to an alarming degree. My doctor said it was the usual stuff most people are allergic to like trees, pollon, etc. Either way, even Prednisone didn't help the situation. If allergies were causing this, wouldn't some of these medications bring relief.

I'm just sick of this and need it to go away fast because it's one thing when I'm home alone and spitting this crap up, but I'm going away for a week with my friends and am scared to death with them witnessing my issues. It's disgusting and embarrasing.

Please someone help.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
(female)

trychocolate HB User
Re: Post nasal drip/Mucus just won't stop! Help!

Hi Zoe26,

I've had this problem for 15 years or so. There's a product called "Netty Pot" (available at pharmacy), that seems to help greatly, although it might take a day to kick in. If you do this first, and then a mild steriod spray afterwards, it might help.

I understand your discomfort/embarassment, and just had to mention that this is worth a try; don't ask me why it works, but I was very grateful that a dr recommended it!

Hope you find some relief,
choc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
(female)

Zoe26 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trychocolate View Post
Hi Zoe26,

I've had this problem for 15 years or so. There's a product called "Netty Pot" (available at pharmacy), that seems to help greatly, although it might take a day to kick in. If you do this first, and then a mild steriod spray afterwards, it might help.

I understand your discomfort/embarassment, and just had to mention that this is worth a try; don't ask me why it works, but I was very grateful that a dr recommended it!

Hope you find some relief,
choc
I've been doing NeilMed sinus rinse, the regular bottle, for almost a year now. In fact, I feel like this is what caused it! I never had this issue before.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
(female)

Zoe26 HB User

Does ANYONE have a clue about this or have anything to share on the topic? I'd really appreciate it.

I want to try a new antihistamine, any recommendations for the best rx one for nasal allergies or whatever could be causing this? Or which nose spray seems to be the most effective (without a disgusting taste)?

What has worked for you? Advice is needed, please... Thank you.

Last edited by Zoe26; 12-14-2009 at 12:05 PM.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
(female)

Zoe26 HB User

OK once again I ask ... anyone else have this issue? I've seen so many ENTs and allergists, nothing works. If it were from allergies, I'd assume being on antihistamines, steroid nose sprays, sinus rinse, and medrol dose pack would help! If it were acid reflux related, the fact that I'm taking not 1 but 2 Kapidex pills a day would help! Nothing works.

All I know is that I never in my life had this problem or sinus problems until only a few months ago and this was after months of doing the NeilMed sinus rinse and nose sprays because an ENT thought I should even though I didn't have this issue but I guess he saw something when he looked down my nose/throat at the time when I was complaining of nausea, and thought this would help in addition to several other meds.

I'm seriously sick of this. I can't hack up mucus for the rest of my life. There are other people around me who would have to witness this and it's a disaster. As mentioned, it only happens when I shower or wash my face (getting water up my nose and triggering this issue I suppose). Please suggest ANYTHING. I'm going away soon with others in my hotel room and don't know how I could avoid constantly gagging up mucus stuck in my throat around them.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
(female)

collegechick89 HB User

Sudafed really worked for me... have you tried that?

Old 08-27-2011, 04:10 AM   #7
(male)

Ddarling1121 HB User

Did you ever find a cure or relief from your problem?

Old 09-07-2011, 04:47 AM   #8
(male)

joerenjay HB User

ask your ent for norel sr tablet to dry up mucus veramyst 27.5 mgg nasal spray , benzonatate 100 mg capsule see if this will work

Old 09-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #9
(female)

Saddend HB User

Hello everyone,

I'mI'm here trying to find help about a very unpleasant situation which has occurred in my life. You see, I have always been "popular" I happen to be a highly attractive young lady and I have always loved myself. I am very smart, very attractive and I am a very good person, always had mounds of confidence.

Until, these past 3 years! I have changed for the worse. what's happened has destroyed my life because I feel myself living in fear and constant shame. I feel so helpless, I just want a solution and I find myself constantly in search of the culprit.

Here's an idea of what I go through on a daily basis:
I get a thick, disgusting taste in my mouth, my tongue has a thick, white coating, my mouth is excessively dry, my nasal passages are closed shut narrowly, I know I must breathe through my mouth a lot, I am constantly coughing up white mucous, I have terrible post nasal drip and here is the kicker, wait for it, wait for it, my breath smells like resident evil...a zillion dead zombies?

Although I can never smell it, every one else sure can and they make sure they tell me in the cruelest of ways. My daughter even covers her nose and doesn't even want to kiss me. I believe I have lost the love of my life over this, he doesn't even come around me. A beautiful girl like myself, lonely, in need of a man but I won't allow myself to be in a relationship because of my rancid breath. I am a single mother of three, now living in public housing because I quit my job working at the bank because they would make fun of me so bad, even the boss. I am a pretty girl who has always been overly involved with fashion and hygiene, this is hard for me. It hurts. I have completely isolated myself from people and when people get near me I get so nervous that I sweat.

I was in a very bad abusive relationship and he beat me so bad my temples in my head was swollen and I also had knots in my head in the back. I was just wondering if the impact from the beating to my head messed with something with my nose, causing this problem? Just a thought. Anyhow, I have been diagnosed with acid reflux which I have been taking medicine for but to no avail did this solve the problems previously stated. I have been given a nose spray and just recently had my tonsils and adenoids removed and still, nothing! I feel so worthless like I have a curse, I so hate this. I want it to go away so I can be myself. Fun, outgoing, charming, pretty, CONFIDENT and talented. For the record, my dental care is awesome, my dentist said so herself!

I had a appointment with my E.N.T today and I missed it because I didn't have a ride, I was so anxious like he would fix it today but I have been seeing him for months regarding this issue. I almost want to jump on him then ring his neck and say, " do your damn job buddy!" Lately I've been letting hydrogen peroxide sit in my mouth then I use my tongue scraper. It helps with the coating on my tongue, but all the other symptoms like the bad breath, still remain.

I just want my life back, I'm not this girl, if you know what I mean.
until then, my life is over... if anyone has any ideas, please feel free to offer them, thank you!!

Saddend

Old 04-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
(female)

love63367 HB Userlove63367 HB Userlove63367 HB User

I have the same exact problem! I'm constantly having mucus in my throat and on my tongue. It causes bad breath 24/7. I'm so frustrated I just want to give up, it's ruining my life. I've been put on flonase, mucinex and neti pot by my doctor. Can't find anything that works. please help, i'm desperate!!!!!

Old 04-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Generally that type of constant mucus and post nasal drip is caused by allergies or a form of acid reflux called laryngopharyngeal reflux (abbreviated LPR). Both conditions are treatable; Allergies with daily antihistamines like Claritin or Zyrtec and LPR with proton pump inhibitors like PrilosecOTC but both are chronic conditions that require that you take the medication daily to really get them under control.

Closed Thread