It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
(female)

ccarlso3 HB User
Tonsillectomy "Review"!

Hey everyone,

I had a tonsillectomy done today, Thursday Dec. 17. I am 20 years old. Before my surgery, I read through all of the horror stories on here and got really freaked out! So, I figured I'd post a review of my progress. After reading some other peoples updates through the time they got better, it really helped. And, I figure if anyone else is going through this right now, we can compare!
So, here it goes.

Day 1

Got to the hospital, where they had me put on a robe, put in the IV, took my vitals, and asked a ton of questions. The anesthesiologist walked me thru everything she was going to do, and my doctor came and talked to me. This was my first time undergoing general anesthesia.
They gave me some medicine for nausea (for the anesthesia), and to calm me down (even though I really wasn't that nervous). The calming medicine really worked, and I was chatting it up with all the nurses LOL.
They wheeled me in, and i saw the OR for a total of two minutes when she put the medicine to knock me out into my IV. Mid sentence, I passed out. Next thing I know, I'm in recovery.
I was very groggy and incoherent when I woke up, mumbling some sentences to the nurse that probably made NO sense. When I came around, she had me take some sips of water and gave me an ice pop. When she was sure I was okay, I could go home. You have to have someone take you home.
The pain today was not bad at all, just uncomfortable. It feels like something is "stuck" in the back of your throat, like when you get a piece of food or a popcorn kernel stuck on there. If that makes sense..its probably due to the enlarged uvula. but the pain itself was probably a 1/10.
I was prescribed liquid roxicet and liquid amoxicillin. The roxicet made me very "loopy" , but took care of the pain right away. I was in and out of sleep for many hours. It's a weird sleep too, I would be sitting online reading something and be out mid article, but wake up twenty minutes later.
I have had about 15 glasses of water to keep hydrated, but all I have "ate" is some Ensure. I am very hungry, and I am going to try to have some apple sauce soon.
I realize it is only the first day, and the worst is yet to come. But, I'm hoping with this medicine ,and if I stay well hydrated and nourished, I won't have a "horror" story to post. Fingers crossed!
Please comment with questions/ your experience and I will try to update almost daily!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
(female)

ccarlso3 HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy "Review"!

oh, and I forgot to mention, I can talk almost completely normally. It is a little strained and painful, but not what I expected. I'm sure this will change.

-Chelsea

Old 12-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

How do they do it these days? A good friend of mine is having hers out in a week. I had mine out 20 years ago and they used a laser. Nothing was bad except when the scabs came off because I bled a lot. Well, seemed that way to me. It wasn't dangerous, just gross.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:06 PM   #4
(male)

Roarof24 HB User

Thanks for the post Chelsea, good luck with your recovery..I just had the full UPPP procedure done yesterday...Keep Slamming that Water!..I have been drinking one bottle after another, water mixed with Gatorade or tea..

Old 12-17-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
(female)

ccarlso3 HB User

Eagleriverdee: Not sure exactly what tool is used, but I know its cauterized at the end. Its definitely not as dangerous as it used to be, and is now an outpatient procedure.

Roarof24: thanks for the encouragement! I wish you a good recovery as well

Old 12-18-2009, 06:56 AM   #6
(female)

ccarlso3 HB User

Day 2:

Today is about the same as yesterday. Some slight pain, but nothing worse then a mild case of tonsillitis. Last night I went 6 hrs without taking the meds, and before that it was about 5 hours.
I was able to eat some apple sauce, but I really don't have an appetite. From what I hear, people get better quicker the more they eat, so I will probably go for some scrambled eggs or potatoes.
Slept with a humidifior last night, and that seemed to help.
Update later if things change today...still expecting the worst!

Old 12-19-2009, 05:09 AM   #7
(male)

UNCBEARS HB User

CCarlso,
I had my tonsils, adenoids, turbinate reduction, and deviated septum done last tuesday and am currently on my 5th day of recovery. (counting surgery day) My ENT has been having me gargle salt water with baking soda every 2-4 hours and that helps a lot. I haven't been in a whole lot of pain, but because i had work done on my nose i have not been able to breath out of it which really dries out my mouth while sleeping. Hopefully it will get better when i get these splints out on monday. Pain hasn't increased much with the exception of when i wake up with the extremely dry mouth, other then that has remained about the same. Good luck with the recovery! if you have any questions about recovery tips let me know, as we are probably experiencing close to the same thing!

Eagle: I had the coblation method done which is a much less painful way of doing it according to my ENT. It's a cauterization method but with a much lower temperature so that less strain is caused on the tissue during surgery.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
(female)

dec1609 HB User

Hi,
I'm also 20 years old, and had my tonsils removed on Dec. 16 at about 7:30am. I believe that makes this day 3 (not counting the day of the surgery) and so far the worst part was the nausea I experienced 2 mornings ago -- I often wake up nauseated in the morning (even before this surgery) but don't usually throw up... this time I spent 3 hours in the bathroom. Extremely uncomfortable after throat surgery. My stepmom called the doctor's office and they decided it was the liquid percoset, so they switched me to liquid vicodin (which tasted nearly as bad and didn't really make a difference) and finally yesterday they complied with my request for actual vicodin pills.
I've been taking 2 vicodin every 4 hours and have had no nausea since starting them, and my pain level has gone down from an easy 20/10 (on the liquid stuff) to a 7-8.
Like so many others on this forum, I've been able to eat mashed potatoes/scrambled eggs/soup since the day I got home, but am still waiting for the dreaded days 5-7 when the scabs start to fall off. Despite being in horrible pain when I wake up, and every 3.5 hours before I take my next dose of vicodin, it hasn't been unbearable so far.
Glad to hear you're doing alright, and I'll be waiting to read your updates as you post them since we're pretty much on the same schedule.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:08 PM   #9
(female)

ccarlso3 HB User

Thanks for your replies.
Today I am on day 3, and the pain has gotten noticeably worse. I woke up in the middle of the night with awful ear pain, and I've had a migraine all day. As long as I keep up on my pain meds I'm fine for the first two hours, then they start to wear off about two hours after taking them. I'm thinking about taking one teaspoon every 2 hours instead. I can see the scabs, they haven't yet started coming off. I feel alot more swollen then I did yesterday. I think the worst part is this ear pain. Havent been able to eat as much today. Keep me updated on your recovery as well!

Old 12-20-2009, 11:00 AM   #10
(female)

dec1609 HB User

Well, this morning I woke up with the worst pain I've had yet, and this is the first time since switching to the vicodin pills that it wasn't alleviated immediately after taking them. I hope that means the scabs are falling off, but as far as I can see everything looks the same... I also have that dreaded ear pain now; both of my ears feel like the insides are on fire.
Hopefully you're doing a little better?
I did manage to get out of the house last night, my stepmom took me clothes shopping while I was still feeling alright and let's just say retail therapy is a great way to cure cabin fever

Old 12-20-2009, 12:33 PM   #11
(female)

ccarlso3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec1609 View Post
Well, this morning I woke up with the worst pain I've had yet, and this is the first time since switching to the vicodin pills that it wasn't alleviated immediately after taking them. I hope that means the scabs are falling off, but as far as I can see everything looks the same... I also have that dreaded ear pain now; both of my ears feel like the insides are on fire.
Hopefully you're doing a little better?
I did manage to get out of the house last night, my stepmom took me clothes shopping while I was still feeling alright and let's just say retail therapy is a great way to cure cabin fever
Sorry to hear that you were feeling worse today! Maybe the scabs are starting to fall off. Thats good you got out of the house, my nurse told me to take five days complete bed rest to make sure my immune system stays up. But, even if I wanted to do something I don't think I could, this medicine keeps me so out of it..I'm constantly sleepy, and when it wears off I get a really bad headache on top of the rest of the pain. No fun! I looked at my throat today, and I can see the scabs and some "black", I'm hoping its just the "hollow" area and not dried blood! Still really swollen though so its hard to look properly. Besides all that, today isn't so bad. Yesterday, day 3, was my worst day so far. I'm just trying to stay hydrated so when these scabs come off, it wont be too bad...

Old 12-20-2009, 02:14 PM   #12
(female)

dec1609 HB User

Glad to hear you're doing alright, and the nurse was probably right about the bedrest. My shopping trip lasted about 30 minutes and it completely exhausted me.
The general consensus around here seems to be that the scabs should fall off around day 4, and I'd really like to just get the worst part over with already so hopefully this happens soon. I've been using a flashlight to peek around in there and like you said it's pretty hard to see due to all the swelling, but I haven't had any noticeable bleeding so I assume nothing's changed.
Oh well, at least there's plenty of football to watch today... I'm getting so sick of movies I could kill something.
Hope you keep feeling okay!

Old 12-20-2009, 03:55 PM   #13
(male)

UNCBEARS HB User

Im on day 6, i woke up today with no pain and managed to stay off my pain meds for quite a while. Later on in the morning my throat started to hurt so i took some meds but im still feeling better then i have the past 4 or 5 days. I had to start taking some liquid fenergin because my meds were making me sick. Im not sure when these scabs are supposed to fall off or if they already have? I've been gargling salt water and baking soda ever 4 hours and that seems to clear a lot of tissue stuff out of my throat and helps a lot. Maybe they are just disolving? Glad to hear you guys are doing alright!

Old 12-20-2009, 11:44 PM   #14
(female)

ccarlso3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec1609 View Post
Glad to hear you're doing alright, and the nurse was probably right about the bedrest. My shopping trip lasted about 30 minutes and it completely exhausted me.
The general consensus around here seems to be that the scabs should fall off around day 4, and I'd really like to just get the worst part over with already so hopefully this happens soon. I've been using a flashlight to peek around in there and like you said it's pretty hard to see due to all the swelling, but I haven't had any noticeable bleeding so I assume nothing's changed.
Oh well, at least there's plenty of football to watch today... I'm getting so sick of movies I could kill something.
Hope you keep feeling okay!
Hmm, I'm hoping they come off soon also, I'm just so tired of being sick and feeling like crap! I know what people were talking about when they said they started getting discouraged around this time, its never ending. Haha, I know what you mean, I'm so tired of just watching tv all day long. I feel pretty much the same as I have since yesterday, just the ear pain is getting slightly worse. I hate these strong meds, they make me so loopy and tired. I'm going to switch to just liquid tylenol as soon as I can. Let me know how your day goes tomorrow!

Old 12-20-2009, 11:45 PM   #15
(female)

ccarlso3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCBEARS View Post
Im on day 6, i woke up today with no pain and managed to stay off my pain meds for quite a while. Later on in the morning my throat started to hurt so i took some meds but im still feeling better then i have the past 4 or 5 days. I had to start taking some liquid fenergin because my meds were making me sick. Im not sure when these scabs are supposed to fall off or if they already have? I've been gargling salt water and baking soda ever 4 hours and that seems to clear a lot of tissue stuff out of my throat and helps a lot. Maybe they are just disolving? Glad to hear you guys are doing alright!
Hi, glad to hear you had a good day today! That's encouraging. What day are you on again? My meds are starting to make me sick also, I'm going to have to call the doctor about them. Sometimes you don't even notice the scabs coming off, from what I've read. So maybe your one of the lucky ones! Does it look any different back there? Hope your recovery continues to improve!

Closed Thread