It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
(female)

beecool HB User
Feeling of lump or something stuck in throat

For about 3 weeks now I have had this feeling of something stuck in my throat. The feeling is not always present. It does not hurt, nor bother me when eating, drinking, or swallowing. I have googled this and found many sites with others seeking help for same problem. Many of the sites answer that it may be GERD or acid reflux. I do not have any upset stomach or heartburn pains though. Twice in the last 2 weeks I did have a little backup come up into my throat. And I do seem to be burping just a little bit. But, maybe I am just more aware of this because I read it is a symptom of reflux. But, again, I have no heartburn, just the lump in throat feeling.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
(female)

feisty63 HB User
Re: Feeling of lump or something stuck in throat

maybe allergys

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
(female)

LADennis HB User

I have this same exact problem! It's been about 2 weeks. I already take meds for GERD and have for 4 years. Just wondering if you found out what was the cause of your problem. It is so annoying and of course I think the worst, like CANCER!

Old 01-09-2010, 05:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
I do not have any upset stomach or heartburn pains though.
GERD is definitely the most likely cause of the "lump in the throat" feeling but it's very common to have GERD without an upset stomach or heartburn. The lump is usually a small area in your esophagus that has been irritated and inflamed by acid from your stomach.

It could also be that something you've eaten caused a small irritation or scratch, but that feeling usually clears up in a day or two.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
(female)

Jutebox HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beecool View Post
For about 3 weeks now I have had this feeling of something stuck in my throat. The feeling is not always present. It does not hurt, nor bother me when eating, drinking, or swallowing. I have googled this and found many sites with others seeking help for same problem. Many of the sites answer that it may be GERD or acid reflux. I do not have any upset stomach or heartburn pains though. Twice in the last 2 weeks I did have a little backup come up into my throat. And I do seem to be burping just a little bit. But, maybe I am just more aware of this because I read it is a symptom of reflux. But, again, I have no heartburn, just the lump in throat feeling.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
(female)

Jutebox HB User

I had the same feelings a few years ago. I was sure it wasn't reflux either because I didn't notice heartburn. I raised the head of my bed - it didn't change anything. So I went to a GI doctor and he sprayed some numbing stuff in my nose or throat and put a very small tube down my nose to look in my esophagus. He started me on Prilosec and I take it at bedtime and when I wake up and I haven't had the feeling ever since.

(When you're laying down, have you ever noticed a little gurgling noise in your throat occasionally. That is actually a sign that you have reflux, but some people don't notice it).

Old 01-10-2010, 06:29 AM   #7
(female)

katarina66 HB User

I get that too. for years It was put down to stress. Now I have obvious symptoms of GERD, but I'm coping very well with it at the moment.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
(female)

GoodGrayce HB User

Hi! It could definately be GERD but also get your Thyroid checked. Thyroid issues can cause the lump in the throat sensation if the gland is swollen.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
(male)

denisl HB User

Im having the same issue, i have had this feeling for about 2-3 months, it comes and goes, worst when hungry or nervous.. Im on Nexium 4th day on it no help at all...ent appt soon, any ideaS?

Old 01-21-2010, 11:00 AM   #10
(female)

wavesFL HB User

If it's a foreign body sensation that feels like it's more on either the right or left side (or both) then it could be tonsil stones. If it's more the middle, then possibly reflux, or even a thyroid problem as someone mentioned. Sometimes the only way to figure this stuff out is through trial and error. My dr. said some acid reflux meds can take 4-5 weeks to start working, so to the last poster, give it some time...though I'm not sure how long nexium takes.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:29 AM   #11
(male)

SomethingNFG HB User

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I am having very similar problems.

Mine began about a month ago. It started with pain in my throat that radiated to a tooth ache and ear pain. That went away and now the pain is more centralized inside my throat. The pain is definitely only on one side and if I were to guess, I'd say it was coming from my left tonsil. If I roll my tongue back down my throat as much as possible, it feels like there is a foreign body (almost like that feeling when you get a popcorn kernel stuck on your tongue).

I'm thinking its probably tonsil stones that are enlarging my tonsil. Does this sound like it could be the case? My only argument AGAINST tonsil stones is that I don't think I have bad breath, which is often a major symptom. But if I lay on my left side, when I swallow I can feel like a lump move around in my throat. The pain isn't strong and I don't have ANY pain when I swallow or eat. But if I press on the area of my throat I can definitely feel pain. I've really felt around my throat area and I don't think any of my lymph nodes are swollen (obviously I'm not a doctor but nothing feels out of the ordinary).

Does this sound like tonsil stones even if I don't have bad breath? How about the fact that I've had it for a little over a month? What can I do to treat it?

Old 01-23-2010, 09:39 AM   #12
(female)

jlc mom HB User

I first had the "lump in throat" feeling back in about 1994. For me there is no pain, it just feels like the lump you get before you are going to cry. It does come and go. Back then, it was annoying enough that I saw an ENT and they said there is some name for it (that included the same root word as "hysterical"), that it was more common on women. They said they didn't know why, some people just get it.

Ok, so it went away after a while and I didn't have it for a long time. About 5 years ago, I started going to a chiropractor for headaches. Turned out my neck was a mess, but my headaches gradually went away -- I hardly ever get one anymore. I know, I know, a lot of people think chiropractic is wacky.

My chiropractor says that during the healing process, sometimes you will have old symptoms in reverse order. Well, I had the lump feeling come back a year or so ago, not as bad, and didn't last as long. (I noticed in another thread, someone said their child knocked them in the neck and brought on the feeling).

I am convinced there is some interference with nerve impulses in my neck, brought on by my neck being slightly off. Since your brain controls everything with nerve impulses, doesn't it make logical sense that if there is some small compression of a nerve (thus not allowing nerve impulses to get through uninterrupted), that several things in the same area of your body would not be functioning well? (thyroid, reflux, etc.)

My suggestion is, just try a chiropractor. It can't do any harm. And it MIGHT help you without any drugs. What can you lose?

I have the lump feeling right now. I always feel panicky and hungry when I have it....and I always wonder if the affected nerve controls those things as well. Fortunately, I know this won't last. I agree that the chewing gum thing works...for me swallowing something helps, which also includes eating (even when I realize that I am not really hungry.)

Good luck to all who have experienced this. It is not pleasant, and it's worse because, unless you've experienced it, to others it sounds crazy.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:24 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisl View Post
Im having the same issue, i have had this feeling for about 2-3 months, it comes and goes, worst when hungry or nervous.. Im on Nexium 4th day on it no help at all...ent appt soon, any ideaS?
4 days is not enough time for Nexium to have an effect. It can take 8-12 weeks for the irritated areas in your esophagus that cause the "lump in the throat" feeling to completely heal and it make take 4 weeks before you notice any improvement.

You really need to give the medication time to work.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #14
(female)

hedipberry HB User

I have had this feeling in my throat for about 3 0r 4 years. Only way to explain it is
annoying, does not hurt. Quit smoking 5 weeks ago, has not helped yet. Feels like I have to keep clearing my throat but nothing comes up. Sorry you feel badly but relieved to know I am not alone.
Hedi

Old 06-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #15
(male)

jma1024 HB User

finally i found some anwsers to this ive just started having this feeling 3 days ago and its scaring me so much everytime i try to swallow i get scared that im going to choke because it feels like theres something stuck it doesnt help that have anxiety plus i do suffer from Acid Reflux so those combined can put me into a day of terror and worrysome. guess im going to try some otc acid meds for a few weeks see if it clears up. man some of you had if for months id be going crazy thinking i have some sort of unknown crazy disease

Closed Thread