Swollen Glands and Tonsils - Not Strep?
I don't know what's wrong with me, but I don't think it's a bacterial infection, so I'd like to stop taking these antibiotics that were prescribed to me... I typed my illness history below... I'm a 33y/o and I'm exposed to all sorts of germs! PLEASE ADVISE! Thanks!
* Days 1, 2, 3, 4, Very swollen, uncomfortable glands (hurts to touch or move head too far). No sore throat.
* Days 5, 6, 7 Same gland problem, very red throat with a little bit of swelling, no white spots, not much throat pain.
* Day 7 - went to Nurse Practitioner (NP) (couldn't get apt with my doctor), main complaint was the glands, she did a strep culture, the rapid test was negative, but she gave me antibiotics to start on; she said the culture would be back in 2 days, if it's negative, I should stop taking the antibiotics.
* Day 8 - my throat starts hurting more; hurts to swallow. (same gland problem)
* Day 9 - my throat is very swollen, I have white spots, and it hurts to swallow. I assume I do have strep and start taking the antibiotics in the morning. I see the NP in the afternoon. She said my strep culture came back negative, but because my throat looks so bad now, she recommends staying on the antibiotics.She takes blood to test for Mono (but the result won't be back for 5 days due to holiday weekend)
* Day 10 - Day 2 on antibiotics. Symptoms not any better - even more white spots on very swollen tonsils (especially the right tonsil). I take Aleve, which helps with the pain, but 4 pills of antibiotics have not helped at all!
* Day 11 - Took another antibiotic. No improvement so far... Should I assume this is a virus and stop taking the antibiotics? They make me feel nauseous.
The NP said that they just test for Strep A and just because that test is negative, doesn't mean it can't be another type of bacteria causing the infection. Also, since I didn't have white spots until after the first culture, maybe strep A just didn't show up in the culture. However, Strep symptoms usually respond quickly to antibiotics. My symptoms are not responding and have even gotten a little worse. Shouldn't I see some improvement after 2 1/2 days (5 pills) of antibiotics? I'd really rather not take them if I don't have to; I'm very sensitive to them....