It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
(male)

SomethingNFG HB User
Enlarged tonsil on one side - tonsil stones?

Since about mid-December I've had irritation on the left side of my throat. Originally, the pain was a little worse than it is now and at the beginning the pain went up through my teeth and into my left ear.

Since then, that pain has stopped. Now, I notice when I retract my tongue as far back down my throat as possible it feels like there is food caught or something. Like there is a popcorn kernel stuck on the back of my tongue.

There is slight pain, but not strong. It's more of a dull pain. The weird thing is there isn't a lot of pain in my throat and I can swallow with no pain at all. The pain mostly resides in the side of my neck and I find myself popping my neck far more than usual. It's almost like a tightness in just the left side of my neck. However, if I push where I think my tonsil is on the left side of my throat I can definitely feel the pain resides there.

I think my tonsil is swollen because if I'm laying on my side or have my neck turned a certain way, when I swallow I can feel a lump move around in my throat.

So I THINK its tonsil stones. My only argument AGAINST tonsil stones is that I do not really seem to have bad breath at all, at least that I can notice. Also, as I mentioned above, I've had these symptoms more or less for over a month now.

Should I be concerned? I felt all around my neck for lumps and nothing seems out of the ordinary. How long do tonsil stones take to go away? I've tried to brush away the area but my gag reflex prevents me from getting very close.

What do you think? And thanks for a response.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
(male)

Grunt117 HB User
Re: Enlarged tonsil on one side - tonsil stones?

Tonsil stones never go away. But they do periodically fall out, reform, fall out, etc. So if it is indeed a tonsil stone that's causing your problem, maybe it will work itself out soon and give you some relief. Removing tonsil stones that you can't see can be a challenge, especially if you have a bad gag reflex.

Also, not everyone who has tonsil stones has bad breath.

But maybe you don't have tonsil stones at all. Could be acid reflux. Could have been a standard sore throat virus. Maybe you had a tonsillar abscess. Twice last year I had some pretty decent pain on the left side of my throat and left ear. The pain lasted about 2-3 weeks then went away. I can't say why the left side is worse than the right . . . both sides get the stones!

As far as worrying about swelling, you may not need to. I've had swollen lymph nodes on the left side of my neck for about 5 years now. They do cause minor pain and very slight "tightness" in my neck, but unless I think about it I really don't notice. Doctor didn't seem concerned. He said unless things are continuing to grow in size (tonsils, lymph nodes, etc.), there's probably no cause for concern.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:14 AM   #3
(male)

SomethingNFG HB User

Thank you very much for the response.

I've heard the acid reflux thing before but I have literately never in my life experienced any kind of heartburn or acid reflux.

This is very troubling to me.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
(male)

SomethingNFG HB User

I am starting a regiment of Previcid to see if it helps clear up my issue.

I am bumping this one last time to see if anyone has any other insight into this.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
(female)

indigobird HB User

check for a staph infection. this sounds similar to what i was experiencing, and i was just diagnosed with a terrible staph infection. i'm now bed ridden and on two different SERIOUS antibiotics for 3 weeks!!! don't wait... ask your doctor to check for staph, it's such an easy test.

i hope you feel better!

Closed Thread