It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
(female)

lisakatd HB User
Neti Pot & Ear Pressure!

I've had a severe cold for a month. Doctor suggested trying neti pot. I got one and tried it... It wasn't working at all because I'm so congested. No water would come out either nostril. I kept trying maybe 5 - 10 times on each side, no luck. This is my first time using one.

Next morning I wake up with a blocked ear on the right side. As time goes by it becomes very very painful. I go to an Urgent Care and he says I have full blown ear infection and throat infection and prescribes antibiotics which I'm now taking.

I think the main test will be to see if this goes away once I complete the antibiotics. What I fear though is that my use of the neti pot has caused water to be lodged in my middle ear. Since I started the antibiotics, only taken one so far, it feels better... the pain has decreased, but the fullness blocked feeling is still there.

Should I assume that my eustachian tube has water stuck? I'm really scared based on the stories I've been reading. My intuition tells me I do have water in there, and I would really like to know what I should do.

Note: Prior to this incident, I popped my ears by closing my mouth/nose and that side (the right side) would barely pop, and when it did I got real dizzy. I thought, oh I better go get my ears cleaned. I went to the doctor last week and she said they looked fine minus a little fluid (this was Wed.). I did the neti pot that Friday, then had to go to Urgent Care on Saturday.

Do you think I could have developed this "full blown" ear infection in one night? Or based on what I'm saying was my ear already acting up?

I've been sick with a cold for over a month now... so I know my sinuses are probably suffering. Urgent Care told me I have strep throat and an ear infection.

The Following User Says Thank You to lisakatd For This Useful Post:
kathysc (07-31-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
(male)

cally1 HB User
Re: Neti Pot & Ear Pressure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisakatd View Post
I've had a severe cold for a month. Doctor suggested trying neti pot. I got one and tried it... It wasn't working at all because I'm so congested. No water would come out either nostril. I kept trying maybe 5 - 10 times on each side, no luck. This is my first time using one.

Next morning I wake up with a blocked ear on the right side. As time goes by it becomes very very painful. I go to an Urgent Care and he says I have full blown ear infection and throat infection and prescribes antibiotics which I'm now taking.

I think the main test will be to see if this goes away once I complete the antibiotics. What I fear though is that my use of the neti pot has caused water to be lodged in my middle ear. Since I started the antibiotics, only taken one so far, it feels better... the pain has decreased, but the fullness blocked feeling is still there.

Should I assume that my eustachian tube has water stuck? I'm really scared based on the stories I've been reading. My intuition tells me I do have water in there, and I would really like to know what I should do.

Note: Prior to this incident, I popped my ears by closing my mouth/nose and that side (the right side) would barely pop, and when it did I got real dizzy. I thought, oh I better go get my ears cleaned. I went to the doctor last week and she said they looked fine minus a little fluid (this was Wed.). I did the neti pot that Friday, then had to go to Urgent Care on Saturday.

Do you think I could have developed this "full blown" ear infection in one night? Or based on what I'm saying was my ear already acting up?

I've been sick with a cold for over a month now... so I know my sinuses are probably suffering. Urgent Care told me I have strep throat and an ear infection.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
(male)

cally1 HB User

Quote:

My sense is that you may not have eliminated all the fluid in your nasal passage/eustachian tube after using the Neddi pot. This is important as the fluid can cause problems.

Your ENT can usually tell if there is fluid in the ear by examining your eardrum - if is buldging in our out it is indicative of a problam and if necessary they can perform a myringotomy to remove the fluid. A good decongestant/hot showers and time usually alleviate the situation too.

Importnat thing is to stay on top of this - make notes each day about what you've taken and the results/expeience you've had. Check in w your ENT if not better in a week!

In the future - do a U tube search for How ot Use a Neddi Pot - you'll find easy to follow video instructions...

Old 02-15-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
(female)

lisakatd HB User

Thank you. It still feels like there is blockage, and/or water stuck in there, so I think I will need to go to the ENT. The pain is at least gone so that's good. When I did the neti pot I really don't think I did anything particularly wrong, but I know that no water would flow out because I was so clogged on both sides.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
(female)

bunnysmom HB User

My Ent told me that the nasal rinses could make things worse when you have a cold or infection. The plugged feeling is blocked Eustachian tubes and using nasal sprays could help with fluid and inflammation in your ear.

Good luck!

Old 02-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
(female)

lisakatd HB User

So what do you recommend I do then if it is a blocked Eustachian tube as you mention? I'm really kind of worried. I would hate to have to get surgery over something so silly. And of all things, my doctor was the one who originally prescribed the neti pot.

BTW, this is day 5, still clogged. I don't hear the same out of that side at all. I'm really upset. Could this have permanently damaged my ear?

Why do you not see these things regarding the neti pot more often? I read the instructions, no where did I see anything about not doing it if you were too congested, but I think it makes sense not to in hindsight.

I think this is absolutely terrible and I'm convinced it's all from the neti pot! What should I do? Has this ruined my right ear in a way?

Old 02-18-2010, 06:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

We don't use neti pots in our house, but the squeeze bottle nasal rinses. More pressure to rinse out the sinuses, but you're not moving your head all around trying to get the rinse in your nose. IMO go back to the doctor and have them check your ears, maybe you need a decongestant to get things moving...

Old 02-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
(female)

bunnysmom HB User

My ear problems started with a cold that I got back in the first week of Jan. I actually had to go on antibiotics, steroids(prednisone) and flonase to reduce the inflammation. It takes a about 2 weeks for some to clear the cloggy feeling. Mine have cleared to about 80%, but I have an enlarged adenoid so that complicates things.The best way to get your ears checked is to go to a good Ent who will check your ears for an infection and prescribe anti-inflammatory meds.

Quote:
So what do you recommend I do then if it is a
blocked Eustachian tube as you mention? I'm really kind of worried. I would hate to have to get surgery over something so silly. And of all things, my doctor was the one who originally prescribed the neti pot.

BTW, this is day 5, still clogged. I don't hear the same out of that side at all. I'm really upset. Could this have permanently damaged my ear?

Why do you not see these things regarding the neti pot more often? I read the instructions, no where did I see anything about not doing it if you were too congested, but I think it makes sense not to in hindsight.

I think this is absolutely terrible and I'm convinced it's all from the neti pot! What should I do? Has this ruined my right ear in a way?

Old 02-28-2010, 08:30 AM   #9
(female)

Sunny745 HB User
Question Re: Neti Pot & Ear Pressure!

Hi, I'm Pauline and I'm new here. Nice to meet everyone!

Boy, am I glad I read this thread! I think I have a sinus infection because I have pain around my nose cavities. I have had a cold for about 2 weeks now and it was clearing quite well, but on Friday, I started having a sore and scratchy throat and yesterday, full blown cold again.

I used the neti pot yesterday and some green mucus came out (sorry, don't mean to be gross!) and today, I tried to use it and no water was coming out. Now I think I know why....I'm too plugged up. I read that it's good to use the neti pot when you have a cold (in a book I have), but now that I've read this thread, I'm not going to. Now I'm concerned because I'm wondering where that water went. I have some medication for sinus congestion...I think I will use that for now and go see a doctor tomorrow about this.

I have been using some Himalayan salts, where you have these salt rocks that you dissolve in water. In the instructions, it said to leave them in glass with water submerging them. I have been having that sitting in that glass for about 2 weeks now. I have a tissue covering the opening of the glass, but is it possible that this water is infected now?

Old 05-15-2010, 06:31 AM   #10
(female)

knk63 HB User

i dont use the sinus irrigation anymore, its says right on the box that is you are congested not to use....

Closed Thread