It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
(female)

KCityTiger HB User
Question Nasal Septal Reconstruction

March 12th I will be having nasal septal reconstruction surgery to fix my severely deviated septum, with turbonate and polyp removal! I'm a bit nervous though my doctor sounded very confident in the fact the surgery would make me breathe in a way I've never had. I've always had a hard time breathing through my nose and I seem to be super prone to sinus infections that are horrible and make my nasal passage way feel as if concrete has solidified in there!

For those of you who have had it, was it successful? I just want to see what people who have had this surgery before have to say, my doc can tell me it will be fine and dandy but I'd like some first hand experiences, bad and good.

Thanks!

Old 02-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

microwave HB Usermicrowave HB User
Re: Nasal Septal Reconstruction

I've had nasal polyp surgeries twice and the first one also fixed my septum. I won't lie, you'll feel like crap for the first week, until you get the splints removed from your nose. And, you'll have some really funky stuff coming out. But be patient, give it time, and you will be amazed at the difference! You can breathe again! You can smell again! You'll realize what you've been missing. And, no more sinus infections. I had to learn how to breathe through my nose again because I hadn't done it for so long.

Although it isn't a fun surgery, it's worth it. You will be glad you did it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Oh, about the things coming out of your nose, I wasn't kidding. Bloody chunks, big boogery/slimy strings of gunk. Don't let it freak you out. It's normal. After a few days, you can lightly blow your nose VERY gently if you need to. After a week or so, your doctor might have you use a neti pot, saline rinse, or a waterpik in your nostrils to keep your sinuses clear. They work great, don't hurt, and keep your sinuses nice and clean. You might have funky gunk coming out for a month or so, but it clears up.

What was really funny after my first surgery was that I had boogers. Seriously, everything was stuck in my nose for so long that I hadn't had boogers for 15 years! I kept telling my husband, "look! I have a booger!" He was like, well, good for you. LOL

Old 02-22-2010, 12:00 AM   #4
(female)

KCityTiger HB User

Haha, grrrreat boogers, just what I was looking forward to, haha! Thank you so much for your post, glad to hear what sounds like an extremely positive and almost life changing story since the surgery gave you access to something you had never really felt, I hope I have the same success! I've always been able to tell even when I didn't have a sinus infection or totally clogged nose that something just wasn't right, that feeling like I had a coffee straw size nostril wasn't normal. I remember going into the appointment in which I found out I needed surgery and telling the doctor "the mist and nasal irrigation are working but I feel like I'm getting air through a thin straw" and his reply was, "that's cause you are"!

I've never had surgery and I always thought my first I would be completely nervous, but after seeing your story among many others across health blogs and nasal sites...my fear is natural reaction to something like surgery, but is easier to tolerate than before because it will make a huge difference and help for the better!

What kind of stents did you have Micro? My doctor said he uses tube like ones, which I'm sure I'll find more about at my pre-op on March 4th. And when you had them removed, did it hurt? I've read some mixed stories from, my doctor gave me a special numbing drop to it was a very uncomfortable experience and mildly painful.

Last edited by KCityTiger; 02-22-2010 at 12:01 AM.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

The stents I had were inside my nose, visible, and were a clear/whitish plastic. They ran up the inside of my nose and there was a stitch or two to hold them together. One was in each nostril and they held the septum in place while it healed. They really didn't hurt, it was more like someone was constantly pinching the inside of your nose. More like pressure.

When I got them removed, he just went in there, snipped the stitch(es), and pulled the stents right out. I don't remember it hurting, just uncomfortable and weird. Then he looked in my sinuses, suctioned them out to get out loose stuff, and I was done.

It felt so good to finally get them out.

Last edited by microwave; 02-22-2010 at 09:59 AM.

Closed Thread