It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
(male)

mrbofus HB Usermrbofus HB User
Hurts to swallow, but no fever or other cold/flu symptoms

I have had a sore throat for about 5 days now [starting Wednesday], and it feels like it's on the right side of my throat. Initially, it hurt to swallow, and I thought it would go away in a couple of days like sore throats normally do. When it hadn't gone away by Friday, I started doing the saltwater gargling regimen, drinking tea, and drinking hot water with honey. However, by Saturday, it still hadn't gotten any better. Saturday night though, it got worse and my throat started hurting when I wasn't swallowing. I actually woke up at 2am because something in my lower jaw seemed to be hurting. It felt like the nerve was hurting. This morning, I woke up and the back of my tongue seemed to be hurting, but after being up for about 30 minutes, it doesn't hurt when I'm not swallowing and my tongue/nerve has stopped hurting.

I haven't taken any medications except for a couple of aspirin yesterday to see if it would do anything for the pain, but it didn't. I am NOT experiencing any other symptoms. No fever [that I can tell], no coughing, no pain when I do cough occasionally, no runny nose, no headaches, no pain chewing, no pain touching my neck anywhere, no earache [although sometimes I feel like I might be feeling something in my right ear, but I can't tell if that's just mental], no pain when I yawn.

It doesn't feel like this is improving, and if anything, is getting worse as time goes on, so if it hasn't improved by tomorrow, I guess I will see about making an appointment with a doctor. [yay for jumping hoops with health providers! ugh.]

My question is, does anyone know what it could be if I have a sore throat and pain swallowing, but no other symptoms? And should I go see a doctor even if it improves a little bit by tomorrow?

To recap, symptoms are:
-Pain when swallowing
-More recently, at night, pain even when not swallowing. More intense pain seems to go away after about half an hour once I'm up and about.

Symptoms I do NOT have:
-no fever
-no runny nose
-no cough
-no pain when I do cough occasionally
-no pain chewing
-no pain when I touch my neck, throat, or jaw
-no earache [I think]
-no other body aches

Things I have tried:
-gargling with saltwater
-drinking tea
-drinking hot water with honey
-aspirin

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

The following user gives a hug of support to mrbofus:
xia angel (09-21-2011)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrbofus For This Useful Post:
Stigmatisert (08-05-2012), Tylerlovesweed (01-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
(male)

FortuneFaded HB User
Re: Hurts to swallow, but no fever or other cold/flu symptoms

Hey did you ever find a cure or go to the doctor and figure out what it is? I pretty much have the same symptoms

Old 05-31-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
(male)

mrbofus HB Usermrbofus HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortuneFaded View Post
Hey did you ever find a cure or go to the doctor and figure out what it is? I pretty much have the same symptoms
Nope; I never figured out what it was. I took some ibuprofen for the pain, and it was gone by the next Tuesday. Interestingly enough, it came back in a mild form [not severe enough to wake me up] for a few days a couple weeks later, but it has been fine since, so I'm assuming it's gone.

So I guess it stuck around for about a week [the ibuprofen helped with the pain], came back a couple weeks later for a few days, and now appears to be completely gone.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrbofus For This Useful Post:
trocarprincess (01-05-2012)
Old 05-31-2010, 03:01 PM   #4
(male)

FortuneFaded HB User

cool thanks!... guess i'll just have to wait it out than

Closed Thread