It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2010, 12:54 AM   #1
(male)

damien8 HB User
Food sometimes gets stuck in my throat

Since I was a kid, I've been having problems with food occasionally getting stuck in my throat (actually feels lower).

It happens once every couple of months, and when the food gets stuck, I can't get anything down. If I try to drink water, it stops and the pressure shoots it back out of my mouth. Even my own saliva doesn't go down.

I try using my fingers in my throat, or often take a large gulp of water and swallow it to push the lodged food down.

It has happened 3 times to me already this month, so I'm wondering if its getting worse.

I'm now looking into this in hope that I can get it resolved.

Anyone with information or personal experience, I would appreciate if you could chime in.

Thank you in advance

Old 03-15-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User
Re: Food sometimes gets stuck in my throat

your best option is to visit a gastroenterologist. I have a friend who has something similar and he has to have his esophogus stretched every few years to open it up farther and prevent food from getting stuck. It's a simple procedure although it may cause a sore throat for a few days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
(female)

cascott HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien8 View Post
Since I was a kid, I've been having problems with food occasionally getting stuck in my throat (actually feels lower).

It happens once every couple of months, and when the food gets stuck, I can't get anything down. If I try to drink water, it stops and the pressure shoots it back out of my mouth. Even my own saliva doesn't go down.

I try using my fingers in my throat, or often take a large gulp of water and swallow it to push the lodged food down.

It has happened 3 times to me already this month, so I'm wondering if its getting worse.

Anyone with information or personal experience, I would appreciate if you could chime in.

Thank you in advance
my father had this problem i may get the name wrong pharangyl loop its in the neck at the back its like a pouch the food goes in and rots makes you cough its hard to swollow when you eat.needs a small operation to close pouch.it might not be what you have but its worth considering to talk to the doctor .

Old 03-15-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

Look up Achalasia. Meaning you can not swallow. I have it. I had my throat stretched. I won't go into that. But you should see a gastroenterologist. He will most likely do an endoscopy.

Sunny

Old 04-25-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
(female)

Rachelg411 HB User

I have this same problem. Sometimes if I just not drink or eat any more and just wait it will go down. Sometimes drinking milk helps but usually the liquid will just fill up in my throat and I have to make my self throw up. I've heard that it has something to do with your esophagus and acid reflex or something like that. I read that you can take a pill for it or have surgery to stretch your esophagus or something to that effect. I haven't gone to the Dr about it but I really should. It sometimes happens every month sometimes every few months sometimes a couple times a month and sometimes ever day or ever few days. I usually go a couple months with out it happening though.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
(female)

cascott HB User

pharangyl loop i may have spelt it wrong its a pouch in the back of throat.operation is a small staple to close the pouch .

Old 06-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
(male)

falato HB User

I have sort of the same issue. Every now and then, prob 5 times the last year, i swallow something and it seems to get stuck down my throat. (One time eating a hotdog, another eating grilled chicken)...Then i get the 'burping' sensation but i cant burp because the food is in the way. So i keep swallowing more and thus more air wants to come back up..........Eventually, the food goes through but sometimes i just expel the food back out my mouth to 'hurry up' the process.

im hoping its nothing serious.

anyone have something similiar?

Old 12-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #8
(male)

ahalstead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien8 View Post

Thank you in advance
I've had this same exact thing happen. Your response has been the closest I've been able to find anywhere.

While I am eating, I'll feel something get caught in my esophagus. All food immediately following will get stuck. It will cause me to throw up. Drinking any type of liquid will usually hurry the process along. The first time it happened was about 15 years ago (when I was 15). To fix it, I will have to throw up. It's happened less than 5 times in 15 years, but twice recently, which has got me wondering whats the possible issue.

It feels like it's stuck right above my stomach.

The one common factor appears to be a meat. Falato, did you ever find out what was the issue?

Let me know.

Closed Thread