It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
(female)

lovebeingmomto2 HB User
Problems hearing after middle ear infection

I had a cold which turned into a middle ear infection and given amoxicillan. The pain went away and feeling of fullness, but now (a week later), my ear still feels slightly clogged, hearing is muffled, and voices have a "tinny echo" in that ear. I went back to doctor and she gave me another antibiotic. I have an appointment with an ENT for 4/5, but it is driving me crazy--especially the tinny echo sound. Every time my baby cries, I hear another "tinny echo" of her cry in my ear! Never had any ear problems in the past. Can't remember the last time I had an ear infection...

Has anyone experienced this? Thanks!

Old 06-12-2010, 01:00 AM   #2
(female)

Earpain HB User
Re: Problems hearing after middle ear infection

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingmomto2 View Post
I had a cold which turned into a middle ear infection and given amoxicillan. The pain went away and feeling of fullness, but now (a week later), my ear still feels slightly clogged, hearing is muffled, and voices have a "tinny echo" in that ear. I went back to doctor and she gave me another antibiotic. I have an appointment with an ENT for 4/5, but it is driving me crazy--especially the tinny echo sound. Every time my baby cries, I hear another "tinny echo" of her cry in my ear! Never had any ear problems in the past. Can't remember the last time I had an ear infection...

Has anyone experienced this? Thanks!
I'm experiencing similar symptoms and see my fifth physician Wed. Antihistamines have finally helped (Advil for Sinus and Allergy). Everything seems a lot louder than it used to, very annoying. Hope you "clear" soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
(female)

Liyanyc HB User

Hi,
i have the same thing you had. Tiny echo and fullness feeling after ear infection. Please tell me what happened to you? when did it go way?

Thank you,
Liya

Old 06-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #4
(female)

lovebeingmomto2 HB User

Oh yeah, it went away, might have taken 2 weeks for hearing to get back to completely normal again. You'll be fine. The antibiotics definitely helped. Good luck to you!

Old 06-05-2011, 05:01 AM   #5
(female)

Liyanyc HB User

Thank you very much for you reply. I went to ENT he didn't give me second course of antibiotics. He said i am clear of infection, but fullness and "tiny echo" is still present. I finished antibiotics mid last week. I am very upset.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
(female)

lovebeingmomto2 HB User

I only had one course of antibiotics-I believe that is all you need as antibiotic's role is to rid the infection and the infection is now most likely gone. If I remember correctly, I still had the "tinny/echoing" sound after the antibiotics as well. I was really worried about it too. What's happening is you still have some fluid in your middle ear from your initial cold/infection-you had a bad infection. Even though the infection is gone, the fluid remains for awhile. Therefore, when sounds enter your middle ear, they do not vibrate against all the tiny bones/eardrum correctly because there is fluid there (much like how sound is distorted when you are underwater in a swimming pool). Your body will eventually reabsorb the fluid, but be patient-it may take another week or even month, depending on how much fluid is in there. The tinny/distorted sounds will slowly dissipate. Please note I am not a doctor, but did a lot of research when this happened to me several years ago because I was so stressed about it. I stressed about nothing b/c it's now gone. You'll see, it will go soon. If it doesn't start getting better in the next 1-2 weeks, I would go back to your doctor, or an ENT, and get a consult. Sometimes, you need to get tiny tubes in your middle ear--usually children get these to drain the fluid after chronic ear infections. However, my brother-in-law had to get them recently and he is 30! He is doing great and it's a relatively simple procedure. However, usually this is only needed if you get chronic infections in your ear, so I would think you will not even need to go this route. Be patient, and remember that your body has an amazing ability to heal itself. :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to lovebeingmomto2 For This Useful Post:
Liyanyc (06-06-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 03:01 AM   #7
(female)

Liyanyc HB User

Thank you very much for your respond and explanation!!!

Closed Thread