It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
(female)

me1053 HB User
Why do my ears pop when I swallow??

For the past few weeks my ears have been popping when I swallow. My right ear pops everytime I swallow, and the left every other time I swallow. I did some research on the topic and learned that your eustachian tube opens and closes when you swallow. But, what I don't get is why does it NOW make noise when it never did before. It is so annoying. I first must say, I have slight hearing loss and constant tinnitus in my left ear that started in June of last year. I have it from loud noise exposure(I believe) from working at a call center. I know weird...huh?! Anyway, I visited an ENT, had a CT, MRI, blood work, etc. The tests were all clean and the ENT kept telling me it is Meneirs(sp?) disease. But, I learned people with Meneirs have vertigo and dizziness, and I never had that. So, I believe it is just noise-induced hearing loss, along with tinnitus. But, my question is why are my ears all of a sudden popping? I have also been feeling pressure in both ears on and off for a few days. Any input would be greartly appreciated.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
(male)

islandjohnny HB User
Re: Why do my ears pop when I swallow??

Sounds as if you may have a Dysfunctional Eustachian tube, which can cause a variety of annoying symptoms, depending on the type. If the normally-closed tubes do not open normally, people experience ear fullness, popping/crackling, hearing loss (mild), and even temporary tinnitus (ringing).

I recommend that you make an appointment with an ear, nose and throat doctor to find out for sure.

Wishing you the best in health..........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
(female)

fluffyshouse HB User
Re: Why do my ears pop when I swallow??

Your problem could be the beginning of patulous Eustachian tube. I have had it for five years to the extreme. I hope yours does not get worse. Dr. Poe, in Boston is the doctor to see if you start hearing your voice and breathing out of your ears. He is the expert in PET.

There are several threads on Healthboards regarding this disease. 'Just a warning: don't blow your nose hard and don't stifle a sneeze - ever. Those things are very hard on the ears and with your unstable Eustachian tubes or so it seems, might make them worse.

I wish you the best of luck, and take care.

Cathy

Closed Thread